Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are BA really starting to suck all of the joy out of flying lately?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it just me or are BA really starting to suck all of the joy out of flying lately?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:22 am

Well I never knew that! Fascinating. You're quite right, that looks very much like an attractive possibility. It would be really interesting to know how many people would take that up. Certainly on my radar now. Thanks for posting that link. Wonder if one earns tp's for the extra seat?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by G-AVFC
Wonder if one earns tp's for the extra seat?
(Sorry to be blunt, but) fat chance!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:49 am

Ha ha 😊 maybe there's another reason they're called comfort seats
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by G-AVFC
Club Europe is 3 seats in each row shared between 2 people and, unless you're in the front row only, the same face room that you would have in economy except if the aircraft is a 737 or a 767.

Therefore, on balance, Club Europe non front row seats are worth 1.5 times the cost of the prevailing economy fare at the time of booking, plus perhaps £5 for the meal, couple of quid for the drinks and maybe a couple of quid for being near the front to alight first onto perhaps a bus at an outstation.

Flying from gatwick to any destination flown by easy jet would make paying for club Europe somewhat unnecessary (unless you really enjoy the food, and ba colour scheme or need the tp's) particularly as the new Airbus aircraft are the same on the ab side at the front.
Yes calculating the extra cost of the benefits of flying CE over ET or a low cost airline makes total sense to me especially for those who know what the CE product consists of. If you have status and are short of a few bob then for goodness sake don't fly it. On the other hand if you don't have status the benefits it gives might just make it worth paying the extra for.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes calculating the extra cost of the benefits of flying CE over ET or a low cost airline makes total sense to me especially for those who know what the CE product consists of. If you have status and are short of a few bob then for goodness sake don't fly it. On the other hand if you don't have status the benefits it gives might just make it worth paying the extra for.
I quite like sitting at the front and on the longer band 4 flights the bigger meal breaks up the monotony a bit. So I am still paying I and R fares where they come up.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I quite like sitting at the front and on the longer band 4 flights the bigger meal breaks up the monotony a bit. So I am still paying I and R fares where they come up.
Good for you.

Talk of improving CE with a bigger seat along with improved dining is pie in the sky. If anything it wouldn't surprise me if we're witnessing the changes taking place into making it an ET+ product especially on the shorter routes.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talk of improving CE with a bigger seat along with improved dining is pie in the sky. If anything it wouldn't surprise me if we're witnessing the changes taking place into making it an ET+ product especially on the shorter routes.
I assume that was deliberate.

It already is ET+! I'm paying for the "plus" part, which is not what I want but it's better than just ET.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I'm paying for the "plus" part, which is not what I want but it's better than just ET.
Unless it's at least Band 3 and a dinner time departure and ideally 767-operated (!), I don't see enough "plus" in there to pay £20 more, never mind £100+. BA781 works quite well.

I'm not picky, honest
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Well, how things have changed in a couple of years or so. I remember being encouraged to hang up my BMI wings and come on in and join the party. I then recall the slightest comment made by us exiles being perceived as being negative by the colonel blimps who rule the roost over here in the twilight zone causing a hail of protest as the chaps in their blazers pontificated about us johnny come lately's calling them apologists.......
Well said.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
To me, there has never particularly been much joy flying as a passenger anyway, other than when I have fun interactions with others (like my recent flight ex-LGW, that was good fun). To me, flying is just like a bus, except for a bit more hassles (security etc) and frills (lounge, catering, beds).

Flying, to me, is nothing more than one of the means of transport. I wouldn't consider doing it unless I need to, and I just make it as comfortable as possible as I fundamentally dislike having to be stuck in an aluminium (or composite or whatever) tube for hours.

So, no, no sucking any kind of joy out of flying for me by any airline as I never considered flying as a passenger as any kind of joy.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
To me, there has never particularly been much joy flying as a passenger anyway, other than when I have fun interactions with others (like my recent flight ex-LGW, that was good fun). To me, flying is just like a bus, except for a bit more hassles (security etc) and frills (lounge, catering, beds)...

So, no, no sucking any kind of joy out of flying for me by any airline as I never considered flying as a passenger as any kind of joy.
Isn't that the point ? The frills are (were) what make flying fun...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bafan
Isn't that the point ? The frills are (were) what make flying fun...
Still does not make overall flying experience fun for me (only the fun aspects are fun but overall it's just a chore), although as I said, it's no different to me than riding a bus. In fact, buses and trains are far more of a novelty to me than aeroplanes.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
GM? If so for me being in the automotive industry for almost 40 years the signs are very similar to them around the mid 80's when they thought they could start getting away with an increasingly mediocre product and live on their old reputation while charging a premium price. We all know how that turned out.
Yes. That is why I am so pro CUSTOMER ! It was ugly. Worse was seeong it in slow motion over the years. I do not say BA or other legacy carriers are there as I do not have a front row seat.

But all indications point towards a CUSTOMER base erosion that will accelerate over time as mor epeople find the alternatives are better.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes. That is why I am so pro CUSTOMER ! It was ugly. Worse was seeong it in slow motion over the years. I do not say BA or other legacy carriers are there as I do not have a front row seat.

But all indications point towards a CUSTOMER base erosion that will accelerate over time as mor epeople find the alternatives are better.
So in other words you're just giving us your opinion based on no known facts or figures?

Which is fair enough.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
So in other words you're just giving us your opinion based on no known facts or figures?

Which is fair enough.
My ears and eyes do register what you all are saying ! Add own and others experiences and a reasonable person can draw some conclusions.
Fair enough if people want to be loyal to a brand(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.