Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/£17.50 or 9000/£25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Aaaaand just managed to find perfectly timed redemption seats to MIA this autumn and got rid of my last 100k Avios and 241 - feeling smug! I don't think I've had a three-digit Avios balance since the year I first joined BAEC...

I was originally quite upset about these changes, as I was with Gold benefit cutting, new CE, POUG limiting, OB devaluation, and all that jazz - but to be honest it's probably been a good thing for me altogether as I've had a pretty good run, enjoyed some things while they were still great, and matured from a status chaser to a creative cheapskate. One FT stereotype to another, figures!

Now off to cancel the BAPP and get the Platinum Cashback Credit Card - TCB offsets the first year's annual fee (£25) and 1.25% cold hard cashback definitely trumps 1.5 Avios now.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
That is up to AA, not BA.

The AA programme managers are very busy right now. I don't think you will see changes to the earning rates for a few months at least.
Thank you and thank you Tobias for your reply as well! I did not know this. I've just noticed that most airlines that give very little miles to their own customers usually give very little miles to members of partner programs as well. Hence the logic that it would be BA that decides.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GCL
Originally Posted by csutter
, and matured from a status chaser to a creative cheapskate. One FT stereotype to another, figures!
My BA loyalty is fading but I like the concept of life after being a status chaser. Maybe a legacy club for disillusioned BAEC holders?.. CCC - Creative Cheapskate Club?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alec84
Thank you and thank you Tobias for your reply as well! I did not know this. I've just noticed that most airlines that give very little miles to their own customers usually give very little miles to members of partner programs as well. Hence the logic that it would be BA that decides.
BA has to compensate AA for the value of the miles that AA awarded you.

Therefore there are complex commercial agreements about how many miles get awarded for each fare class.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by csutter
creative cheapskate.
Describes me perfectly.

Now how do I change my FT handle?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Is the Reward Flight Saver staying after the changes in April?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
Is the Reward Flight Saver staying after the changes in April?
Yes, but with no free domestic add-on
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ENTP
Yes, but with no free domestic add-on
Thanks ENTP ^, I just wanted to make sure.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:53 am

Partner earnings have now been published eg AA

Looks like no more elite bonus with Iberia?
Right column mentions Avios Tier Bonus, but unlike the AA page
nothing about how much the bonus is???

JAL cheap eco will also be reduced from 30% to 25%

Also changes with
LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Apr 3, 2015 at 4:43 am
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Partner earnings have now been published eg AA
I'm a little confused. How can one find out how many tier points would be earned?

And another point, both the AA & IB examples posted by the OP have categories "Economy(lowest)" and "Economy (discounted)" listed in the tables, both these categories being ticked as earning tier points. But the blurb below the tables says only "Discounted economy flights earn 50% of the Tier Points of a full fare economy flight" -- nothing explicit about "Economy (lowest)".

Can anybody shed light on this?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
I'm a little confused. How can one find out how many tier points would be earned?

And another point, both the AA & IB examples posted by the OP have categories "Economy(lowest)" and "Economy (discounted)" listed in the tables, both these categories being ticked as earning tier points. But the blurb below the tables says only "Discounted economy flights earn 50% of the Tier Points of a full fare economy flight" -- nothing explicit about "Economy (lowest)".

Can anybody shed light on this?
Maybe all non full-fare economy flights will earn half tier points still...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:31 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
the blurb below the tables says only "Discounted economy flights earn 50% of the Tier Points of a full fare economy flight" -- nothing explicit about "Economy (lowest)".
It seems reasonable to assume that the phrase "discounted fares" includes "lowest" fares.

I agree that BA could present this information in a clearer and more comprehensive way.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
It seems reasonable to assume that the phrase "discounted fares" includes "lowest" fares.

I agree that BA could present this information in a clearer and more comprehensive way.
I would not read the text with greater care than we may assume it was written

I was assured categorically that I would receive Avios at the present level for tickets booked today for travel after 28 Avril — that seems in dispute
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Updating the ba.com website is not one of BA's greatest strengths ... or indeed anything associated with their IT people
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Unhappy

Normally, I would have just assumed that "discounted economy" was just a generic way of saying "any economy fare below full fare".
Normally, I would have also assumed that, in the absence of explicit clarification to the contrary, partner tier point earnings are not going to be generally enhanced below the present pre-28-April levels.
Normally, I would simply just go along and trust BA -- which is getting to be an issue for me right now. Most of us have no doubt been following the No soft landing thread; in particular, this:
Originally Posted by Prospero
Received from a very reliable source: soft landings were quietly removed at the beginning of this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.