Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I must say that to me this seems to specifically apply to the changes already announced a few weeks ago and not to the future changes we were forewarned about. Some could try to follow up on the argument you make and suggest that this should apply to it, but I suspect that if BA announces otherwise, they might be in for an uphill battle unless they are ready to go all the way to court.

For what it's worth, the point I am making is not merely rhetorical and I genuinely wouldn't be sure that the criterion will be based on booking date. There is a big difference between BA bookings (for which BAEC automatically know when the booking was made in addition to when the flight is flown) and partner bookings (where partners will forward information about the flights flown and booking class but not automatically on when the ticket was booked). In that sense, it would be a bit of a hassle for BAEC to base a rule on booking time as it would force them to ask partners to provide information which is not usually readily available to BAEC.

In that sense, my guess would be that it is in fact more likely that when partner earnings are changed, it will probably be based on "flights taken after xxx" rather than "booked after". And my guess is that the said "flown after" date will most certainly fall in 2015 so I would be very surprised if 2016 flights (and for that matter, probably flights flown in the second half of 2015) were eligible regardless of when they were booked.
Very curiously, I've noticed that when I've been buying BA tickets, I get a duplicate made of every non-BA flight both in the PNR and also printed on the e-ticket. The ghost sectors appear at the time of ticketing, not at the time reservations are made.

The flights are all numbered as XX 9999 (where XX is say, AA), and all happen on the same day that the ticket was issued.

I wonder what would happen if I had more than 8 foreign sectors

My guess is this is the mechanism BA is using to keep track of non-BA sectors. Why it can't just keep a copy of the PNR, I don't know.

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 15, 2015 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Calchas
Very curiously, I've noticed that when I've been buying BA tickets, I get a duplicate made of every non-BA flight both in the PNR and also printed on the e-ticket. The ghost sectors appear at the time of ticketing, not at the time reservations are made.

The flights are all numbered as XX 9999 (where XX is say, AA), and all happen on the same day that the ticket was issued.

I wonder what would happen if I had more than 8 foreign sectors

My guess is this is the mechanism BA is using to keep track of non-BA sectors. Why it can't just keep a copy of the PNR, I don't know.
Very odd and interesting indeed, I never noticed! I'll have a look next time out of pure curiosity.

On this particular case, however, I'm guessing that this is indeed only available on BA-booked tickets or perhaps any ticket that includes BA sectors. However, most partner tickets would be just that - a "pure" CX or QR or AY etc itinerary, and I am guessing that in those particular cases, BA holds no ticket element at all and it is simply the operating airline which (either automatically or manually depending on the case with the former being most frequent) sends BAEC a credit note confirming flights taken and booking class (but not date of booking which is in effect irrelevant in normal cases) for BAEC to credit the relevant avios.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I have a booking made on AA.com for August for flights to the US on a BA flight number and a number of internal flights on AA. The TP and Avios shown in the booking summary on the BA PNR (which I had to phone AA to get) and includes all sectors, total what would be awarded under the current TP and Avios earning chart.
I guess I should take a screen print of that just in case.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On this particular case, however, I'm guessing that this is indeed only available on BA-booked tickets or perhaps any ticket that includes BA sectors. However, most partner tickets would be just that - a "pure" CX or QR or AY etc itinerary, and I am guessing that in those particular cases, BA holds no ticket element at all and it is simply the operating airline which (either automatically or manually depending on the case with the former being most frequent) sends BAEC a credit note confirming flights taken and booking class (but not date of booking which is in effect irrelevant in normal cases) for BAEC to credit the relevant avios.
I agree. I think you will just have to push for manual credit in these cases.

FYI, it looks like this:

All the other AA, US sectors are the same: AA9999, bag allowance missing, all depart at the same time and arrive at the same time.

Originally Posted by gcuk
I have a booking made on AA.com for August for flights to the US on a BA flight number and a number of internal flights on AA. The TP and Avios shown in the booking summary on the BA PNR (which I had to phone AA to get) and includes all sectors, total what would be awarded under the current TP and Avios earning chart.
I guess I should take a screen print of that just in case.
Can't hurt.

I think if tier points or Avios are important to you, then you should check with BA so you have something to rely on.

Last edited by Calchas; Mar 15, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
.....BA have guaranteed existing earnings on BA for flights booked till 28/4, they have said partner earnings will be announced later (I assume this is what yohoho is asking about rather than partner awards which we already know about) and we can't possibly guess whether any change will again be linked to booking date rather than flight date, nor about any grace period. They certainly haven't committed to anything at this stage.
However, the calculator does mention:

Avios rates are changing.
The Avios and Tier Point amounts shown below are for flights booked before 28 April 2015.

No exceptions specified. Wouldn’t it be reasonable to think that the statement applied to all the airlines in the drop-down menu?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
Most people put off divorce " for the sake of the kids". Who are the children in this case ? Status & avios ?
If I were ever to get a divorce without sufficient financial arrangements made, I would not do this, especially if the partner is bad with finances and is likely to contribute much less to the household's wealth than you do (and therefore take more of your money when you leave.)
I would compare this as well to splitting and paying relevant maintenance/child support.
(then again, this also depends on the jurisdiction, but in most Western countries, divorce arrangements more often than not favour the female )
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mkjr
I'm Canadian.... I like the queen on our money. In all honestly, I suspect nothing could have been done to stop the changes.
+1 (though she is only on CAD 20 and coins, admittedly for CAD currency.)
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Travellair
However, the calculator does mention:

Avios rates are changing.
The Avios and Tier Point amounts shown below are for flights booked before 28 April 2015.

No exceptions specified. Wouldn’t it be reasonable to think that the statement applied to all the airlines in the drop-down menu?
Good point. You could try I guess, but take screenshots and be ready for a possible fight...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Ignore this post. Found answer to my question.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Mar 20, 2015 at 3:00 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:38 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Quick Question

Just a quick question on the TP earnings after the April 28th changes - this question may well have been answered up-thread but there are too many posts to wade through now!

For short-haul I usually buy the cheapest available Y fare and then (if the price is right) upgrade to CE using POUG on at least the inbound or outbound sector. 99% of the reason for me using POUG is simply to ensure I earn enough TP's for Silver re-qualification each year.

This means on a typical return trip in Europe I will earn 50 TPs.....10 on the Y sector and 40 on the CE part.

But after April 28th (when the cheapest Y fare buckets then only earn 5 TP's), what would happen if I did a POUG on that very cheap Y sector? Wouls 40TPs still be awarded or does that also halve....ie only 20 TP's for the CE sector now?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
Just a quick question on the TP earnings after the April 28th changes - this question may well have been answered up-thread but there are too many posts to wade through now!

For short-haul I usually buy the cheapest available Y fare and then (if the price is right) upgrade to CE using POUG on at least the inbound or outbound sector. 99% of the reason for me using POUG is simply to ensure I earn enough TP's for Silver re-qualification each year.

This means on a typical return trip in Europe I will earn 50 TPs.....10 on the Y sector and 40 on the CE part.

But after April 28th (when the cheapest Y fare buckets then only earn 5 TP's), what would happen if I did a POUG on that very cheap Y sector? Wouls 40TPs still be awarded or does that also halve....ie only 20 TP's for the CE sector now?
International J sectors continue to earn (at least) 40 points.

We do not know if the POUG regime will change.

But I would be surprised. BAEC are not looking "to punish" people in the J cabin. I think you will still get 40 if you manage to POUG.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
I realize that it is too early to say and that this might have been discussed somewhere on the previous pages, but have there been any reports about AA changing the wonderful 100% earning on all BA (and AY for that matter) booking classes?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Alec84
I realize that it is too early to say and that this might have been discussed somewhere on the previous pages, but have there been any reports about AA changing the wonderful 100% earning on all BA (and AY for that matter) booking classes?
Nothing solid, only rumour thus far. But bet your life on it being eroded.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by paul4040
Nothing solid, only rumour thus far. But bet your life on it being eroded.
We won't go to the USA any more, then. How shortsighted of them
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alec84
Do you mean, 100% earning on BA flights for AAdvantage members?
Unknown. We will need to wait for the AA/US merger to complete. The change to the Avios earning table is not connected to what AA want to do to the AAdvantage earning table. Better quality rumours can probably be sourced on the AA forum.

Or do you mean, 100% earning on AA flights for BAEC members?
Highly probable since it is usually possible to buy transatlantic flights under either BA or AA codes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.