Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Partner flights showing in MMB

Hi all,

First posting and I'm afraid it's 2 queries.
I have recently made a number of bookings which include flights on partner airlines (AA, US, EI) after 28 April.
These flights show in my BAEC Manage my Bookings and the number of Avios and TPs to be awarded is clearly shown.
Would I be right in thinking that these are "locked in" and will not be reduced by the new rules relating to the cheapest fares?

Secondly, I have a flight on booked on IB which isn't in my BAEC MMB (presumably as it wasn't booked via BA).
Can I get it to show in there?

Thanks!
Steve
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by steveb15
Hi all,

First posting and I'm afraid it's 2 queries.
I have recently made a number of bookings which include flights on partner airlines (AA, US, EI) after 28 April.
These flights show in my BAEC Manage my Bookings and the number of Avios and TPs to be awarded is clearly shown.
Would I be right in thinking that these are "locked in" and will not be reduced by the new rules relating to the cheapest fares?
Yes, you will get avios and TPs at exisitng rates. From http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...b-changes/faqs

If I have an existing booking for travel after 28 April, will I collect Avios and Tier Points based on the new rules?

No. All existing bookings will be honoured under the current rules; the new rules will only be applied to new bookings made on or after 28 April 2015.
Secondly, I have a flight on booked on IB which isn't in my BAEC MMB (presumably as it wasn't booked via BA).
Can I get it to show in there?
Unless there are BA flights on the booking it won't show in your list of bookings on your baec page. As long as your BAEC number is in the booking you will get the avios and TPs.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, you will get avios and TPs at exisitng rates. From http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...b-changes/faqs

Unless there are BA flights on the booking it won't show in your list of bookings on your baec page. As long as your BAEC number is in the booking you will get the avios and TPs.
Thank you very much for that lightning quick response!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
steve15 Welcome to the BA FlyerTalk Community. As you see we have many knowledgeable members around who are very willing to help. I hope you stay around ^
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by husseinbadr
I'm a little confused. How can one find out how many tier points would be earned?

And another point, both the AA & IB examples posted by the OP have categories "Economy(lowest)" and "Economy (discounted)" listed in the tables, both these categories being ticked as earning tier points. But the blurb below the tables says only "Discounted economy flights earn 50% of the Tier Points of a full fare economy flight" -- nothing explicit about "Economy (lowest)".

Can anybody shed light on this?
For what it's worth, in IB+, where the tables are more explicit and the changes already in effect, there are three Economy categories for Avios when flying AA (Y/B/C; G/H/K/L/M/N/Q; S/V/W) but for Puntos Elite the last two earn the same (when flying IB, however, there are still three Economy levels for Puntos Elite).

Last edited by Yllanes; Apr 3, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:09 pm

Although, come to think of it, there are some differences. It seems that a flight in AA in N class will earn 50 % avios in IB+, but only 25 % in BAEC.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:29 pm

Ability to Book Award Ticket Now for 2016 and Change Dates Later

I've read through the Wiki, a good deal of the discussion (but not all 100 pages), and the BA website and can't really find an answer so I thought I would ask here given the April 28th cut-off date is approaching.

I would like to fly from the United States (Austin) to Europe (Germany) next year most likely in June or July 2016 using a Chase 241 for two passengers valid until October 2016 and in J.

In the past given how limited J rewards for two have been, I've booked 355 days out for flights to at least secure a trip and then changed the dates at a later time when I decided another travel date better fit my schedule. For example I booked two J tickets from AUS to LHR for a June 2015 trip in July 2014 and later changed the dates (for a standard change fee) to September 2015 in October 2014 when the September flights became available which better matched my schedule.

Right now I can see that there is a lot of availability to book a round trip for 2 in J from AUS to LHR in January 2016. I note on the BA website http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...#changeprocess that changes made to an booking made prior to April 28th follow the current rules which seem to allow for changes in travel dates up to 365 days after the original planned travel date, not the original booking date, for only a change fee.

The question I have is if it is possible (or even advisable) to book an available trip from the United States to Europe for 2 in J which is available now for travel in January 2016 with no intention of actually flying on those dates but using today's 'discounted' Avios costs (using today's redemption schedule and a Chase 241 which is valid until October 2016) and then waiting until July or August 2015 when the June or July 2016 schedules are opened and simply changing the itinerary dates?

If this is possible (or even not), it might be useful to add to the Wiki because it would allow anyone to book travel for January 2016 and change to a more desirable date within 2016 when those rewards became available later in 2015 (for only a simple change fee). Sorry if this has been discussed before but when it's not in the Wiki it can be hard to find in a large conversation...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:14 am

Can someone please advise on the new TP bonus rates, as I don't understand. Silver bonus will shortly reduce from 100% to 50. Will this affect the actual TP's earned? For example, will a flight in CE which now earns (say) 40 TPs reduce by 50% to 20 TPs?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by donmeek
If this is possible (or even not), it might be useful to add to the Wiki because it would allow anyone to book travel for January 2016 and change to a more desirable date within 2016 when those rewards became available later in 2015 (for only a simple change fee). Sorry if this has been discussed before but when it's not in the Wiki it can be hard to find in a large conversation...
To be fair, the Wiki does have a link to the BA FAQ, where this scenario is discussed, and there are several posts elsewhere. You can book under the current arrangements and then change dates after 28 April, thereby availing yourself of the current policy beyond 28 April, just so long as you don't cancel the tickets, just amend them, and that you appreciate that tickets have a 1 year maxima in terms of the return date. You also won't be refunded any Avios should that happen to be cheaper after 28 April.

Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Can someone please advise on the new TP bonus rates, as I don't understand. Silver bonus will shortly reduce from 100% to 50. Will this affect the actual TP's earned? For example, will a flight in CE which now earns (say) 40 TPs reduce by 50% to 20 TPs?
TPs amounts are not status dependent, don't have a bonus factor, and largely they are not changing. The exception, which applies to cheaper tickets, is that the lowest rate of TPs - 10 in EuroTraveller - is falling to 5 TPs, and ditto with the cheapest tickets on other airlines such as AA. Business and First TPs are not changing, other than the long standing anomaly for LCY - SNN - JFK will go down to 140 TPs. CE in Europe remains 40 TPs, or 80 TPs to the longer destinations in Europe and North Africa.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 4, 2015 at 1:32 am
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:38 am

Thank you CWS. What confused me was the reference to 'bonus' TPs - as we all know, TPs are fixed so I have no idea what any bonus may have to do with things. I'm guessing that BAEC may be referring to Avios. Sad news about the Euro Traveller TPs reducing.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gypsyjaney
Sad news about the Euro Traveller TPs reducing.
It's not quite so bad....only Q, O, and G fare codes will get reduced Tier Points, others will still earn TPs as at present. You just need to search for the better fare codes, which will of course be a little more expensive.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
So this afternoon I tweeted BA and also telephoned the Silver line.

They assured me (both via telephone and twitter) that all bookings bought before 28th April will earn Avios and Tier Points as per the existing rates even if the flights are with oneworld partners.

I explained that the new tables published on ba.com suggest that flights taken after 28th April will be at the new rates, if coded AA, IB, QR etc. The agent then reiterated that all current bookings with all oneworld partners will earn at the current rates. Phew!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
When will we know which fare codes for partner airlines will we have the 'cheap Y punishment' for TPs?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
When will we know which fare codes for partner airlines will we have the 'cheap Y punishment' for TPs?
We already know some like booking code Z on AB which means Zilch for Avios and TPs!

Same applies to several MH booking codes as well.

The problem to me appears to be that while the BA website does show a listing of booking codes that do qualify you might end up booking a code that is not stated on that list by airline partner and you then seem to default into non-qualification rather than being informed about it up-front.

I recall BA saying that they would say "later on" when further earning opportunities with partner airlines might be adjusted when the bad news about changes to BAEC was issued some weeks ago, but this hasn't been specified yet AFAIK
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
We already know some like booking code Z on AB which means Zilch for Avios and TPs!

Same applies to several MH booking codes as well.

and TAM W

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.