Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/£17.50 or 9000/£25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
What happens if I book a Club World reward flight (pre-28 April 2015) departing Sep 2015 and change the date of the flight (post-28th April) departing Oct 2015?

Will I have to pay extra miles or just the fee to change the date?
My understanding is that anything booked before 28th April falls under the old rules, regardless of what you do with it after the 28th April. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by firstclasslad
What happens if I book a Club World reward flight (pre-28 April 2015) departing Sep 2015 and change the date of the flight (post-28th April) departing Oct 2015?

Will I have to pay extra miles or just the fee to change the date?
Just the fee to change. This answer on the BA FAQs page seems to confirm it:

Will I be able to change the dates of an existing reward flight after 28 April?

Yes. You will be able to make changes to your existing booking on or after the 28 April 2015 under the existing rules. This means, for example, that you will not have to use more Avios towards your existing booking if you need to change it after this date where under the new rules you would be required to use more Avios to make the same booking. This also means that you will not be refunded any difference in Avios if you make a change to your existing booking which would require you to use less Avios under the new rules. Please note change fees may apply.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by HMPS
Agreed......a lot of loyalty was bought by BA with probably the most liberal CC bonuses. They then devalue the avios, impose very high fuel surcharges/ fees/ carrier imposed charges etc , limit the availability of award seats......." a slew of " enhancements" ......allow competition to steal mar he's on them....not a program to build true long term loyalty.
I think one of the things that irritates is when you accumulate miles / points over a period of a couple of years and then they devalue them without warning as they did a couple of years ago.

This time they seem to have provided a window in which you can make redemptions and thankfully provided a dribble of extra availability to make that feasible.

Overall the concept of saving towards a goal is seriously flawed when the system is very opaque and all the carriers can and do change the value almost overnight. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot if they continue do act in this way because customers won't be so willing to go out of their way to collect a particular carriers points.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by bernardd
I think one of the things that irritates is when you accumulate miles / points over a period of a couple of years and then they devalue them without warning as they did a couple of years ago.

This time they seem to have provided a window in which you can make redemptions and thankfully provided a dribble of extra availability to make that feasible.

Overall the concept of saving towards a goal is seriously flawed when the system is very opaque and all the carriers can and do change the value almost overnight. I think they're shooting themselves in the foot if they continue do act in this way because customers won't be so willing to go out of their way to collect a particular carriers points.
I think they deserve a little bit of credit for giving a few months notice on this occasion but I certainly agree that a long term strategy whether aimed at mileage accumulation or, even more so, lifetime status is a risky business. That's true for all programmes.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Well that was a fun couple days going through all posts! My one question - have I missed the BA response to any of the posts of this thread?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knoppster
Well that was a fun couple days going through all posts! My one question - have I missed the BA response to any of the posts of this thread?
Yes: "We based our changes on our interpretation of changes at other airlines, so we advise you to fly them". Signed, BA.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by knoppster
Silence reigned complete, IIRC

Originally Posted by hugolover
Yes: "We based our changes on our interpretation of changes at other airlines, so we advise you to fly them". Signed, BA.
Sums it up nicely!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I quite like the fact that the outrage in this thread, which was directed at some pretty significant devaluations, has fizzled out so quickly. Yet the lounge food thread was raging for months!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I quite like the fact that the outrage in this thread, which was directed at some pretty significant devaluations, has fizzled out so quickly. Yet the lounge food thread was raging for months!
That's because there was hope that food would get better (and in GF it definitely did), whereas there isn't going to ever be a "revaluation" of Avios.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That's because there was hope that food would get better (and in GF it definitely did), whereas there isn't going to ever be a "revaluation" of Avios.
I get it, I just had to smile at the way it went from 60-0 so quickly.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by T8191
Silence reigned complete, IIRC

Sums it up nicely!
yup. when poll shoved in, best not to hang around to respond further. but then again, devaluations of 30% or so are intended to screw people so why white wash it.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I get it, I just had to smile at the way it went from 60-0 so quickly.
My 2 cents, culturally, the majority of BAEC people will yell loudly but do nothing actively to change things. So you get what comes and for those that ripped into those of us in NA during the first round of changes, well you did not stand up for us and now you are getting taken down as well. Hardy har har.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mkjr
My 2 cents, culturally, the majority of BAEC people will yell loudly but do nothing actively to change things. So you get what comes and for those that ripped into those of us in NA during the first round of changes, well you did not stand up for us and now you are getting taken down as well. Hardy har har.
I should call my Lawyer? Or organise a 'Placard Party" outside Waterside? Or loot a few shops?

Excuse me, Sir, we're British. Those in the "Former Colony" made their own decisions between 1775-1783 ... we don't forget these things.
In the period after the peace treaty in 1783, Loyalists were subjected to extreme supression and acts of arbitrary violence, including murder by lynching, despite a promise by patriot leaders that their rights would be respected. A large proportion were driven off their land and forced to flee as refugees to Canada.
Only jesting, I love the USA for all its flaws ... we're back in June and September You have a good week, Sir!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I penned an email to CR expressing my disappointment with the changes, specifically the removal of free feeder flights from the regions for RFS fares.

This is the response

Dear HAPPEEMONKEE

Thanks for your recent email about the changes we’ve made to our On Business programme. I apologise for the delay in replying to you. You’re clearly disappointed we’re changing the way you redeem points. I completely understand why you’re disappointed with the changes we’ve made but I’d like to explain why these are happening blah blah blah.

...??? I never mentioned On Business!! I'm not even a member.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
BA Customer Service appear to have gone into random mode again. I remember a few years ago when there were a lot of issues people were complaining about that they'd get canned responses back for random questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.