Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The changes in summary
Applicable to bookings made from 28 April 2015
For more information, see BA's 28 January announcement and FAQ on ba.com

Earning
Changes to Avios accrual rates and tier bonuses
  • earning rates increase for flights booked in F, A, J, C, D, and W selling classes
  • no change for flights booked in R, I, Y, B, and H selling classes
  • earning rates reduce for flights booked in E, T, K, L, M, N, S, V, Q, O, and G selling classes

Earning with partners
Reduced earnings in Economy and Premium Economy
AA, IBERIA, JAL, LAN, TAM, ALASKA, SRI LANKAN, QANTAS, CATHAY.

Changes to tier bonuses
  • no change to Gold tier bonuses (100%)
  • Silver tier bonuses reduce from 100% to 50%
  • no change to Bronze tier bonuses (25%)

Changes to minimum Avios amounts (accrued per flight)
  • minimum thresholds increase for long haul premium fares (F, A, J, C, D, W)
  • no change to restricted business class fares (R and I class) and flexible econony (Y, B, and H class)
  • minimum thresholds decrease for WT+ (E and T class) - although there are no BA WTP flights that short
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 250 Avios for mid priced economy (K, L, M, N, S, and V classes)
  • minimum thresholds decrease from 500 to 125 Avios for cheapest economy (Q, O, and G classes)

Changes to Tier Point earning rates
  • Club World London City flights reduce from 210 to 140 Tier Points
  • Cheapest economy flights (in selling classes Q, O, and G) reduce from 50% to 25% Tier Points
  • No change to minimum 2/4 segments for earning Bronze/Others
  • No change to 25 segment / 50 segment Bronze/Silver earning option
  • No other changes, thresholds still Bronze 300,Silver 600,Gold 1500,GGL 5000 (3000 to retain)

Spending
Promise of greater reward inventory/availability
  • Guaranteed minimum 4 seats in economy on every flight
  • Guaranteed minimum 2 seats in business on every flight
  • Guaranteed seats will be available to book from 355 days before departure and may vanish 45 days before departure, if not already booked.

Changes to standard flight redemption rates
  • Variable rates introduced divided into Off-peak and Peak
  • For Peak time (school holidays and other busy times), and partner costs
  • WT - stays the same cost
  • WTP increases - from x1.5 to x2.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • Club World increases - from x2.0 to x3.0 multiplier (50% increase)
  • First increases - from x3.0 to x4.0 multiplier (33% increase)
  • For Off Peak time (including every Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the year)
  • WT decreases by 35% from current values
  • WT decreases by 13% from current values
  • Club World increases by 25% from current values
  • First increases by 13% from current values
  • Free domestic add-ons abolished on short haul redemptions
  • No word if CE redemptions will be charged 4500/Ł17.50 or 9000/Ł25 for the UK leg
  • Variable rates introduced on Iberia
  • Flight redemptions on BA's other airline partners will be charged at Peak rates all year round

Changes to Upgrade with Avios
  • Eligible booking codes is set to increase in the near future, allowing mile upgrades from economy (WT and ET) for more travellers - K, L, M, N, S, and V classes added (exact fare codes subject to confirmation)
  • Avios required for upgrade now based on the formula: Avios redemption price for the cabin you want to upgrade to, minus the Avios redemption price for the cabin you have paid for with cash. This means that certain off peak WTP to CW upgrades are more expensive than peak WTP to CW upgrades (assuming peak/off-peak variables will apply to UuA)
Print Wikipost

Executive Club Changes

Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by IMH
It seems reasonable to assume that the phrase "discounted fares" includes "lowest" fares.

I agree that BA could present this information in a clearer and more comprehensive way.
In that case MAD-LHR would earn 10TPs with IB but only 5 with BA.

(IB domestic earns only 5TPs as it is, I doubt they'll reduce that to 2,5TPs)
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Well looking at those charts that you posted Hannibal Lecter, it looks to me that any AA or IB coded flights flown after 28th April will earn the new rates.

Seems to me that again we've been deceived by BA because I was under the impression that ALL bookings made before that date earn TP's/Avios as now.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by headingwest
Well looking at those charts that you posted Hannibal Lecter, it looks to me that any AA or IB coded flights flown after 28th April will earn the new rates.

Seems to me that again we've been deceived by BA because I was under the impression that ALL bookings made before that date earn TP's/Avios as now.
I don't think they ever mentioned partner airlines in that spiel though. It was noted by a few at the time that it had appeared to be intentionally omitted.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
I don't think they ever mentioned partner airlines in that spiel though. It was noted by a few at the time that it had appeared to be intentionally omitted.
Quoted on ba.com - Club Changes
If I have an existing booking for travel after 28 April, will I collect Avios and Tier Points based on the new rules?

No. All existing bookings will be honoured under the current rules; the new rules will only be applied to new bookings made on or after 28 April 2015.
That seems to imply that all existing bookings earn as now. My understanding was that this included ALL bookings (i.e. IB, AA, AB).
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
wrong thread!

Last edited by RedcardPingle; Apr 3, 2015 at 4:32 am Reason: wrong thread!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Executive Club Changes

Well that is true but note that the whole of the BAEC changes page and all of the FAQs are referencing changes to British Airways flights earning only. Some people read this as BA not wishing to address partner earnings at that time.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:45 am

So BA metal booked into AA 'O' class, booked before 28th April but flown after, will earn 25% Avios, right?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: BA
So BA metal booked into AA 'O' class, booked before 28th April but flown after, will earn 25% Avios, right?
I have a follow up question (because I never hav really understood codeshares, but until now it hasn't mattered): an AA metal booked in BA O class booked before apr 28 but flying afterwards - does this credit according to the BA or AA chart?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by cristo
I have a follow up question (because I never hav really understood codeshares, but until now it hasn't mattered): an AA metal booked in BA O class booked before apr 28 but flying afterwards - does this credit according to the BA or AA chart?
I believe it goes according to the BA flight number, not the AA metal -- that's my understanding of how codeshares work under BAEC.

Now whether that brings it under the supposedly iron-clad guarantee for BA bookings made before Apr 28 or not, I have no idea. Presumably, it should.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by husseinbadr
I believe it goes according to the BA flight number, not the AA metal -- that's my understanding of how codeshares work under BAEC.

Now whether that brings it under the supposedly iron-clad guarantee for BA bookings made before Apr 28 or not, I have no idea. Presumably, it should.
Yes:

Use the marketing carrier's code (AA) and look that up on ba.com/executiveclub.

[But, if the flight is not operated by a oneworld carrier, it will [in most circumstances] earn zilch.]
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
That makes me feel better, thanks.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Use the marketing carrier's code (AA) and look that up on ba.com/executiveclub.
Thanks for clarifying. I came to BA through bmi buyout, and on star alliance I believe it is the opposite (the metal counts, not marketing carrier), hence my confusion
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:17 am

Just so I completely understand this, as I'm still not 100% sure;

A booking made on aa.com which contains BA metal coded as AA will earn as stated on the new AA earnings table? The reason I still ask is that I have 2 booking numbers (AA's and BA's). Obviously when checking on aa.com the itinerary is all coded AA, but when I look on the Amadeus system the BA flights are coded with BA numbers. As this means a 16,000 difference in Avios, am I hoping for a miracle?!?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cristo
Thanks for clarifying. I came to BA through bmi buyout, and on star alliance I believe it is the opposite (the metal counts, not marketing carrier), hence my confusion
Indeed I understand. Every alliance has its own "preference" and each carrier within the alliance has its own rules.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just so I completely understand this, as I'm still not 100% sure;

A booking made on aa.com which contains BA metal coded as AA will earn as stated on the new AA earnings table? The reason I still ask is that I have 2 booking numbers (AA's and BA's). Obviously when checking on aa.com the itinerary is all coded AA, but when I look on the Amadeus system the BA flights are coded with BA numbers. As this means a 16,000 difference in Avios, am I hoping for a miracle?!?
You made the booking on AA, so they have created the ticket and own the master PNR. The points will, in normal circumstances, accrue according to what AA thinks the booking says, under the BAEC rules for the carriers named in AA's booking.

You have an AA flight on oneworld metal. If crediting to BAEC, you need to check the BAEC table for AA.

Last edited by Calchas; Apr 3, 2015 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
You made the booking on AA, so they have created the ticket and own the master PNR. The points will, in normal circumstances, accrue according to what AA thinks.

You have an AA flight on oneworld metal. If crediting to BAEC, you need to check the BAEC table for AA.
Yes, I understand. Never mind....you win some you lose some. Although there seems to be a lot of losing these days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.