Wiki Posts
Search

No soft landing [false alarm]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
No soft landing [false alarm]

I had mentioned this in the "ex gratia" thread (post 844 on) but basically I felt it mentioned its own thread:

I logged back into my account after all of the audit issues/password issue however while I have my Avios back my account now shows me as being a Blue Member (should be Silver as of today).

I was gold (through my own merit, not a partner card) with card expiry of yesterday 3.31.15 and so (correct me if I am wrong) I thought I would soft land to Silver?

I called and spoke to an agent who explained that as I didn't credit enough flights to them over the last year to remain either gold, silver or bronze.... I drop to Blue. No soft landing to the tier below.

I called again at lunch time and got the same response and says that this has always been the case. I explained that I know for a fact that in prior years this has not been the case.

Who is correct here? Is this new? Anyone else have this experience?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
That can't be right, can it? I've never used a soft landing so I can't talk from experience but surely the whole point of a soft landing is to cushion the blow by dropping a single level in the event of not crediting sufficient flights to maintain the existing status level.

I think you should be silver.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
The answer will be interesting given that AA has formally removed soft landings.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by golfmad
That can't be right ......

I think you should be silver.
I agree. Which is why I called twice. If it was not for the same answer each then I wouldn't be so confused.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
The answer will be interesting given that AA has formally removed soft landings.

Happy wandering

Fred
Oh come on! BA just had one of the most public IT failures and you don't think this can boil down to that? Could this not just possibly be another it error. You'd guess by now they're capable.

BA has not in the meantime decided to downgrade gold /soft landing.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Over the years a few people have reported that they have dropped from Gold to Blue after having 0 eligible flights the previous year. In this thread from 2008, former BA Executive Club representative Nicci stated that the soft landing from Gold to Silver should always apply. This, of course, was pre-avios but I can't say that I remember reading of any changes to the soft landing policy.
The post:
Hi all

If you do not earn enough Tier Points by the end of your membership year you drop to the tier immediately below - you would not drop from Gold to Blue in the same year. Without looking at each scenario individually I can't comment on what happened in the cases mentioned above, although I'd be happy to do so if the member themselves wanted me to look into this in more detail.

The best way to look at this is as follows: you can progress from Blue to Gold in one year if you fly enough qualifying flights and earn enough tier points - but you can't move from Gold to Blue in one membership year if you don't!

I hope this helps but if there is anything outstanding please let me know.

Best regards

Nicci
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10018718-post9.html

And the entire thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-points.html

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-ba-gold.html
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
My understanding of soft landing is that you would need to take a minimum of 4 BA operated revenue flights in a membership year. Otherwise you would go back to Blue.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
No soft landing

To see what BA thought were happening, look at the order Exec Club items page.

As soon as you dropped status on 9th of previous month, it should say in the items in order list: "downgrade to silver pending" followed by "downgrade to silver fulfilled" (when the silver pack was sent out). It may say downgrade to blue instead.

This info should predate recent IT troubles and should reflect the true position.

I always thought soft landing was just that and required no TPs or flights at all to get to silver if you were gold.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Is this a sneaky new enhancement?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
To see what BA thought were happening, look at the order Exec Club items page.

As soon as you dropped status on 9th of previous month, it should say in the items in order list: "downgrade to silver pending" followed by "downgrade to silver fulfilled" (when the silver pack was sent out). It may say downgrade to blue instead.

This info should predate recent IT troubles and should reflect the true position.

I always thought soft landing was just that and required no TPs or flights at all to get to silver if you were gold.
It certainly used to be that way:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-flights.html
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
No soft landing

Reading through the Gold benefits and new T&Cs, there is no mention of soft landings. From what the EC levels says to get Silver you need 4 BA flights and 600 TPs, even if you were previously gold.

Looks like soft landing may have gone.

Also formal rules relating to LCY on compare tiers page: no club check-in for bronze/ruby and no priority boarding for bronze or silver.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I have recently taken to burning Avios out of the HHA rather than giving BA more money. One HHA member was Silver, had zero BA revenue flights, only redemptions, and just soft-landed to Bronze. So, for some at least, the soft-landing is still present and requires no flights.

Call again. It's frustrating calling BA these days as you can never rely on the information they give you. Are these people stupid, demotivated or just poorly trained?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
No soft landing

9 months ago I soft landed from silver to bronze with no BA flights. So for me at least it has worked in the past without flights.

Hopefully the soft landing hasn't been enhanced away. It was quite useful.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Given how much gutting of the executive club that has gone on in the past few months it shouldn't really be a shock that this has gone as well (if it really has).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Interesting... this would be a dimunition of previously understood benefit but having looked through the Terms & Conditions I have to agree I can't see where 'soft landing' is mentioned or defined. Section 6 'Recognition' includes:

"Card entitlement is based on the number of Tier Points earned or total number of eligible flights taken in a Year. Each Member's Card status will be reviewed at the end of each Year before the expiration of the current Card"

and

"Tier level may be reduced at British Airways' discretion depending on the Tier Points earned or total number of eligible flights taken in the previous Year. Tier Points earned or eligible flights completed prior to the beginning of the relevant Year will not be counted for this purpose."

Does anyone know whether this was stated in previous Terms & Conditions or just an informal thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.