Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 28, 20, 7:12 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner (all variants). Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE




Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE




Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA (1)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE





Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.



3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.





Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.



Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
The first aircraft was delivered in June 2020 and is expected to enter service very soon. Seat recommendations will be added as FTers are able to test them out. Stay tuned.



Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 18, 9:54 am
  #511  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Helsinki
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 136
Just a quick update from my flight LHR-AUS in 7E.

First time in CW for quite some time (its been AA recently) and I can't say I would rush back. The seat does give 'aisle access' without stepping over people but as someone who's 6'4 you still have to contort out of the seat and space. Seat is really comfortable when a seat but as a bed it's really hard, coupled with the old blanket/bedding doesn't make for a good sleeping experience IMO (still there was enough room for me).

I'm not going to bang on about CW and the deficiencies of its hard product, but if you can get rows 6 or 7 on the 789 then its quiet and worth it over the main CW cabin.
offshore_bob is offline  
Old Mar 1, 18, 1:46 pm
  #512  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Middle East
Programs: ex-DL FO, what a pedigree
Posts: 158
F seats for a couple...center pair or window and aisle?

Hi all-
It looks like we will be on the 787-9 this summer, flying F from LHR-SJC. We had contemplated getting two windows on either side, but 1A and 1K are both taken, and 2A and 2K would be too far apart for our liking. The idea of a big window appeals to me, so we are trying to figure out what makes more sense:
  • Heck with the view (though it will be 11 daylight hours for our flight, with plenty to see!) and just get the side by sides in 1E-1F.
  • The view is worth it, and get 2F-2K...we can gaze longingly across the aisle and talk in hushed whispers when necessary.
Can any of you lend any insight on what option might be more attractive? We will be coming off of three weeks in Italy, so we won't be desperate to be side-by-side, but if that's really the best choice for couples we certainly don't mind each other's company.

Many thanks-
PrineSwine
PrineSwine is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 4:10 am
  #513  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Posts: 8,708
Originally Posted by PrineSwine View Post
Hi all-
It looks like we will be on the 787-9 this summer, flying F from LHR-SJC. We had contemplated getting two windows on either side, but 1A and 1K are both taken, and 2A and 2K would be too far apart for our liking. The idea of a big window appeals to me, so we are trying to figure out what makes more sense:
  • Heck with the view (though it will be 11 daylight hours for our flight, with plenty to see!) and just get the side by sides in 1E-1F.
  • The view is worth it, and get 2F-2K...we can gaze longingly across the aisle and talk in hushed whispers when necessary.
Can any of you lend any insight on what option might be more attractive? We will be coming off of three weeks in Italy, so we won't be desperate to be side-by-side, but if that's really the best choice for couples we certainly don't mind each other's company.

Many thanks-
PrineSwine
2F and K would be ideal and you could always swap seats through the flight but I believe 2F is a bassinet seat. It's a very small cabin and easy to walk around and personally I'd grab 2 A and K even though they are on opposite sides and just keep an eye on the cabin and see if 1K opens up again at some point.
PrineSwine likes this.
PETER01 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:27 am
  #514  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: UK
Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Posts: 85
Hi could anyone recommend on the 787-9 which seat is best for views between rows 10 to 13? 6-7 rows all taken. I'm in 13A for direct aisle access at moment but 10A is available and 10B is not yet taken/ restricted as it's a bassinet, don't mind hopping over 11B's legs if needed. Thanks!
cvm0093 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:33 am
  #515  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 45,675
Originally Posted by cvm0093 View Post
Hi could anyone recommend on the 787-9 which seat is best for views between rows 10 to 13? 6-7 rows all taken. I'm in 13A for direct aisle access at moment but 10A is available and 10B is not yet taken/ restricted as it's a bassinet, don't mind hopping over 11B's legs if needed. Thanks!
13A is a good seat, direct access and very little traffic in that area of the aircraft (or there shouldn't be!). However realistically the view is 80% plus wing, they are enormous on the 787, and it's slightly noisier being over the engines (though massively better than a 777 for example). So if you're not using the WC that frequently and you want the view, 10A is a better option in that respect, as well as being slightly quieter.
cvm0093 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 9:39 am
  #516  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: UK
Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
13A is a good seat, direct access and very little traffic in that area of the aircraft (or there shouldn't be!). However realistically the view is 80% plus wing, they are enormous on the 787, and it's slightly noisier being over the engines (though massively better than a 777 for example). So if you're not using the WC that frequently and you want the view, 10A is a better option in that respect, as well as being slightly quieter.
Thank you!
cvm0093 is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:56 am
  #517  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Posts: 1,517
Travelling in F, wife would like to sit together - 1E/F or 2E/F?
obduro is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:59 am
  #518  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 15,968
Go for 2EF.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Mar 4, 18, 5:14 pm
  #519  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Programs: Aadvantage
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Go for 2EF.
can one actually select 2F? It seems to be blocked as a bassinet seat.
Reetmafreen is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:14 am
  #520  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Go for 2EF.
thanks CIHY!
obduro is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:23 am
  #521  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Posts: 1,517
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen View Post


can one actually select 2F? It seems to be blocked as a bassinet seat.
Where these seats arenít already booked they open up for general reservation at T-72 before departure.
obduro is offline  
Old Mar 5, 18, 9:15 pm
  #522  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Diego
Programs: Aadvantage
Posts: 689
Originally Posted by obduro View Post


Where these seats arenít already booked they open up for general reservation at T-72 before departure.
Thank you. When I booked, the cabin was wide open, but the only options available if I wanted to sit in close proximity to my wife were 1 E/F, or the less than ideal 2 A/E. We opted for 1 E/F. In fact, the only other possible combination was 2 A/K, or a goofy 1E or F for one passenger and either 2 A or K for the other.
Reetmafreen is offline  
Old Mar 31, 18, 8:02 am
  #523  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: living near Malaga
Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Posts: 1,090
Read all through this and rather confused. I would like to choose my seats for an up and coming flight to New Orleans in Club on a 787.. I thought I was set but read the recent SEZ report from CWS who threw a spanner in the works with his 7A recommendation.

My wife likes the window, the privacy and not having to step over the legs of any one. I am happy to sit with her anywhere, on the aisle or otherwise.

The cabin is pretty wide open and we are currently in 3A and 3B.

Please feel free to lend some weight behind sticking where we are or moving elsewhere..

Thanks in advance..
sunshinebob is offline  
Old Mar 31, 18, 8:08 am
  #524  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: BA, Hilton
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Read all through this and rather confused. I would like to choose my seats for an up and coming flight to New Orleans in Club on a 787.. I thought I was set but read the recent SEZ report from CWS who threw a spanner in the works with his 7A recommendation.

My wife likes the window, the privacy and not having to step over the legs of any one. I am happy to sit with her anywhere, on the aisle or otherwise.

The cabin is pretty wide open and we are currently in 3A and 3B.

Please feel free to lend some weight behind sticking where we are or moving elsewhere..

Thanks in advance..
Maybe some confusion due to the different types of 787

If you're in 3A, that's a 787-8 and along with 3J/K probably the best seats on that aircraft.

C-W-S would have been on a 787-9 where the front cabin consists of rows 6 and 7. So broadly equivalent

Hope that helps, look at the seat maps on thebasource.com and all should be clear
BertieBadger is online now  
Old Mar 31, 18, 8:09 am
  #525  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 45,675
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Read all through this and rather confused. I would like to choose my seats for an up and coming flight to New Orleans in Club on a 787.. I thought I was set but read the recent SEZ report from CWS who threw a spanner in the works with his 7A recommendation.
SEZ is a 787-9, so 7A makes sense there from a CW perspective. Your MSY is a 787-8 service, I presume, which doesn't have a First cabin, whereas the 9 variant does. 3A on the 8 series is the equivalent of 7A one the 9 series.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: