Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pochama
Here is a guide as to the best and worst seats in First, Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Please ask your questions here, and hopefully someone will be able to help!

NB. The new 787-8 configuration is covered in the separate BA Boeing 787-8 (with Club Suites): Which are the best seats? thread

The following 787 seat maps have been prepared for quick comparison and reference

MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
788 = Boeing 787-8
789 = Boeing 787-9
781 = Boeing 787-10

Boeing 787-8
Type 78B
Three class: 35J 25W 154M
G-ZBJA G-ZBJB G-ZBJC G-ZBJD G-ZBJE G-ZBJF G-ZBJG G-ZBJH G-ZBJI G-ZBJJ G-ZBJK G-ZBJM (12)
2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-9
Type 789
Four class: 8F 42J 39W 127M
G-ZBKA G-ZBKB G-ZBKC G-ZBKD G-ZBKE G-ZBKF G-ZBKG G-ZBKH G-ZBKI G-ZBKJ G-ZBKK G-ZBKL G-ZBKM G-ZBKN G-ZBKO G-ZBKP G-ZBKR G-ZBKS (18)
2015 First, 2006 CW, 2010 WTP, 2010 WT and Thales IFE

Boeing 787-10
Type 78X?
Four class: 8F 48J 35W 165M; fitted with new Club World Suites
G-ZBLA G-ZBLB G-ZBLC G-ZBLD G-ZBLE G-ZBLF G-ZBLG (7)
2015 First, 2019 CWS, 2018 WTP, 2018 WT and Panasonic ex3 IFE

Boeing 787-8 seating comments
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-8 Club World:
The front CW cabin is quieter, and better for service than the mid cabin.

1 & 2 D/F: There is no overhead locker space, as it is taken up by the crew rest. The foot stools on these seats are also at risk of being bumped by a trolley, although they are semi-protected.

3A & K: These are the official C-W-S recommended seats. They have a little extra room, and direct aisle access, as well as good window views.
6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
6D & F: These also offer an extra 3 inches of legroom.
7A & K: These have a little extra room, and direct aisle access. Ideal for those wishing to sleep. Unfortunately, these seats do only have 2 windows, one fewer than other seats.

B787-8 World Traveller Plus:
Passengers use the WT toilets, which does require a walk back through one of the WT cabins.
If you are worried about catering/meal options, it is recommended to sit towards the front of the cabin, as this is where the service starts.
An interesting video trip report can be found here.

10A-K: Recommended due to the extra legroom.

B787-8 World Traveller:
BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be felt, especially if you have broader shoulders. Seat pitch is also tight, at only 31 inches. The rear 5 rows are reported to have a slightly tighter pitch than the others.

30 A & K are to be avoided: the emergency exit infringes on your personal space both at upper body and foot level.
30B-J: Recommended due to the extra legroom.
HJK seats in rows 31 to 34 have 1’ more legroom than standard rows
A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom. Please see the photograph below.

Boeing 787-9 seating comments:
As an aside note: The lavatories on the aircraft have handles to open, rather than a push the door mechanism (as found on the 777). The flush also uses a sensor rather than a button. This has potential to cause confusion at an inopportune moment.

B787-9 First:
2K: Recommended by ThatT1Feeling. Quieter side of a/c and away from galley.
1E/F: Recommended for couples by All She Wrote.

B787-9 Club World:
7A/K: Recommended by CWS.

B787-9 World Traveller Plus:
No seats have limited recline.
21 A, B, J and K - Missing window (last window in cabin near row 20's head) + near toilets

B787-9 World Traveller:
The width of the WT seats on the B789 is marginally greater than on the B788 (owing to reduced aisle width on the former).

However...

BA 787 Economy Class Comfort & Health Warning

Reviews for World Traveller on the BA 787 (and indeed many other airlines) seem to largely agree the experience is not pleasant, with 9 seats across in a cabin more ideally suited for 8. The seat is smaller than the WT seat fitted to any other BA aircraft, and this can be easily felt, especially if you have broader shoulders.

A, C, D, F, H, K seats: an IFE box is under the seat in front of you, which infringes on legroom.
41A/K: No window.
43A/K: Increased space between seat & cabin wall.

Boeing 787-10 seating comments:
B787-10 Club World:
From porphyra's post:
6A/K window seats have one set of windows only, across the seat. The second further window adjacent to the screen/display that all other seats have is missing - this might be an issue for some people but I preferred it as there was likely less glare on the screen. The issue is that if you like to look out then you almost need to turn your head 90 degrees vs a slant 30-45 to look across the other window.

From corporate-wage-slave's post:
Bulkheads do have more vibration transmission compared to other seats, but that's almost looking for something to say. Essentially all CS is the same, with the only difference between window or middle seating.

B787-10 World Traveller Plus:
From Nil SeAnn's post:
All seats, even in the rearmost row 24, have very significant recline such that my head never fell forward during sleep.
20J/K have great legroom, but [20]D,E&F have even more legroom.
As I sat into 24F to try out the back row, a helpful F/A warned me that I would not be happy with the noise from the bathroom immediately behind the bulkhead to my rear. I thought to myself - how bad could it be? Well it was awful and I lasted about 10 minutes before moving again.
The toilet is oriented facing the rear of the plane and mounted to the WT+ bulkhead. I estimate it is probably only a foot or so from the back of the seat when fully reclined! If you plan an overnight flight I suggest you absolutely avoid 24D,E or F if you hope to get some sleep.

B787-10 World Traveller:

Far rear row of 48 does not recline.
The wall at seats 30A and 30K curves inward which limits the leg room for the leg closer to the wall. See post 1395 for photo.

Related threads:

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by tboyjnr
Same dilemma, maybe if no one with infant books the last seats, 2F opens up?
Strangely I have two flights next year and have 2F reserved for both, so no block on the bassinet seat - the only blocks seem to be 1AK.

Last edited by lcylocal; Aug 4, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, ATI Volare Premium, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Silver
If travelling as a pair then 2EF over 1EF for us if we had a choice, just seemed more spacious. It’s a fab F cabin.

Not sure why crew need to have a J seat reserved as there are crew rest facilities above the F cabin (or is this just an SJC thing as they need an extra crew member ?)
lcylocal likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Our flight crew also have either one or two CW seats on longer flight.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:26 pm

I think there is an error in the wiki, where it says:

6A & J: These are recommended, as they are the longest, and offer the greatest legroom, as well as being ideally positioned for getting off the aircraft.
Is this supposed to refer to 6A & K (the window seats) or 6B & J (the aisle seats)?

I think the latter in view of the positioning comment, but really can't tell.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I have just booked SJC-LHR in CW on the 789 for next year and was tempted to book the 7J/K pair. But, clearly, this could be a bad move if we're likely to be ejected nearer to checkin ... can anyone advise whether 7K is regularly used as a crew rest on this route these days?
Only information for Summer 18 is available so it may well change for the next seasons. At present the use of a Club seat for flight deck rest is as follows:

NRT, ICN, MAA, MEX, GIG and LAX - 7K is designated as a crew rest seat

SCL and KUL - 7K and 7J are designated due to four flight deck crew

The seats are only soft blocked and will be used for commercial reasons such as overselling and service recovery before being used as crew rest.

Last edited by Boeing77W; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:58 am Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by Boeing77W
Only information for Summer 18 is available ...

...The seats are only soft blocked and will be used for commercial reasons such as overselling and service recovery before being used as crew rest.
Thank you for the info, I'll try back next spring to get the heads-up on SJC for summer '19
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Any recommendations for 7AB or 6JK for a couple on B789 to/from KUL. Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Best seats in F on 787-9 with infant

So, myself and wife are travelling our first First in October with out little one and wanted to know which seats were best when travelling with a baby.

We are thinking 2F and 2K as its easy for us to move between seats with the little one than using 2E and 2F. Is our assumption correct? We plan to dine together (hopefully) when we get the little one to sleep on the plane and would want easy access and view of him.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can't dine together (a la buddy dining) on 789 - there's no buddy seat. You'd have to eat in your own seats. I'd take 2E/F

Tonnes of details and pics here :

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...787-8-9-a.html
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Is there space to move between E/F? If not, I think being across the aisle is better for ease of access.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Is there space to move between E/F? If not, I think being across the aisle is better for ease of access.
Nope, you'll have to walk through the galley
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thecoogan
So, myself and wife are travelling our first First in October with out little one and wanted to know which seats were best when travelling with a baby.

We are thinking 2F and 2K as its easy for us to move between seats with the little one than using 2E and 2F. Is our assumption correct? We plan to dine together (hopefully) when we get the little one to sleep on the plane and would want easy access and view of him.
I would take 2F and 2K as you said. If you are in 2E and 2F you will have to keep walking through the galley to get round to each other.

Also you can't dine together in the 787 First, the second seat isn't present.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm flying to MSY next month with my other half on the 787-800...in Y...

I'm 6'4" with broad shoulders...but my other half who'll be next to me is small! So hopefully that will help in what is obviously not a great aircraft for Y - fingers crossed for redemption availability opening up though!

When do the bassinet seats open up?

I've read the whole of this thread but just had a couple of questions as I'm not super clear...

Is there more bulkhead legroom at row 20 (middle) than 21 (sides)? BA source seems to think so?

We have the outbound option of either row 30 (exit row) but J/K (so window encroaching and near the loo waiting) or the bulkhead (B/C for now until A with bassinet opens up)

Does anyone have any photos of the row 30 area?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Looking at CW seats on the 787-8 and both sides of row 3 are available, we're in AB for now but considering swapping to JK as travelling through the day from JNB will have us on the shady eastern side rather than sunnier side of the aircraft.

Is the K side any worse in respects of noise? The seat map on MMB makes it look like it's rather close to the loos...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Looking at CW seats on the 787-8 and both sides of row 3 are available, we're in AB for now but considering swapping to JK as travelling through the day from JNB will have us on the shady eastern side rather than sunnier side of the aircraft.

Is the K side any worse in respects of noise? The seat map on MMB makes it look like it's rather close to the loos...
I flew 3K a few weeks ago to YYC and found there to be no real loo or galley noise issue. I would say best two seats are 3A and 3K. I didn't really see a particular preference noise or foot fall wise so I would go with the side you would prefer with regards to the sun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.