Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by YClass
Fair enough! I have usually had some form of travel agent, or bookings which can amend online. Complex Avios redemptions however.....
They are super helpful when your flight is amongst almost every BA flight today that has been cancelled from LCY due to fog (ugh!) and you need to rebook ASAP.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Let's straighten something out- has anyone, ever, in the history of the BA board / TP run thread done a TP run with the sole purpose of getting GGL by way of 3000TPs 2 years in a row? The only TP runs I have heard about are for people who want to get silver, get gold or get a CCR card, surely? I would be happy to be proved wrong.
This chap is in the process of doing a 5,000 TP run with what looks like two trips each composed of BRU-HNL with a US TP run nested in the middle.

http://lonelytprunner.blogspot.co.uk
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Would also like to say thanks to Jeni for the clear FAQs posted. Was nicely reassuring to be able to come on here after my Hilliergram and have an immediate, official answer

On the GGL line point would echo others - for the twiddly bookings they're remarkably on the ball, and also really proactive. Getting a proactive call about a schedule change 6 months in advance, someone who is able to commit to calling back in 15 mins and then works through the schedules is great (my closest previous encounter pre-GGL was changing a booking and it took an age, with multiple calls and price checks etc)
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I was going say a few unimportant things since this doesn't affect me mostly surrounding the fact that I still don't believe those on this board who say that status is really easy to get blah blah blah

However the news from SteveF about Adblocker Plus really trumps this piffling BAEC announcement ^
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This, and/or a minimum 'spend' on BA. That would be a lot smarter, in my view, than sending money into AA's coffers from some TP running.
For joint venture flights BA gets a cut with AA/AY/IB/US on TATL fares. I think the cut between BA and AA is equal.

The revenue sharing arrangement underpins the metal neutrality of the venture.

Last edited by Calchas; Nov 26, 2014 at 11:24 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I read my email from Mr. Hillier this morning and then headed for FT to read people's thoughts.

As far as I can tell the only change announced so far is the first year qualification for GGL.

Isn't this all much ado about very little indeed?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by golfmad
I read my email from Mr. Hillier this morning and then headed for FT to read people's thoughts.
As far as I can tell the only change announced so far is the first year qualification for GGL.

Of course ... this is FT

On a scale of "JW Blue" <> "Monopole" where does this sit?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I think that the dust has settled now, but earlier today there was almost a rush for these.

Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Interestingly, having thought about this, I think if I weren't one of the ones who will qualify under the new notice period, BA would lose about half my current flight revenue each year as I would stop at 1500TPs. Likely I'd go back to EY.

I'm sure they've DNS the sums but I wonder how many others will be doing the same thing and stopping once they hit requalification?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by headingwest
Definitely the best post of the day, by SteveF
Absolutely! Thank you SteveF

Edited to add that whilst this change won't impact me and I agree with it on principle I certainly would be upset if the change occurred during my second qualification year. I think BA should have allowed those in that predicament to attain GGL by the end of their membership year rather than a specific date. Moving the goal posts after someone has achieved 3000 in the first year with the intention of achieving the same in the second year is somewhat unfair.

Last edited by economyman; Nov 26, 2014 at 12:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad

Well, it reminds me of the comments of people about a recent retirement plan transformation in one big UK sector where everyone already there saw their pension mostly protected while any new entrant into the system saw the situation drastically changed.

Many people who are or will be GGL by the "deadline" - including myself - would have never made it at 5000 TP in one year on their current pattern, so no, I do not think it is fair for people like you and me to dismiss it as much ado about nothing while for some others it is all their hopes of becoming GGL which vanish.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by littlefish
Several points from me
1. Thank you Jeni for posting, and the detail being clear enough to understand. It seems this story even beat the FT rumourmill too

2. I'd like to think this change for GGL, by BAEC, is to stave off a sudden burst in numbers which has diluted (further) the value of other BAEC tiers. I can certainly imagine the oneworld US/AA and QR flyers are swelling the 3000tp ranks if they are crediting to BAEC.

3. I would suspect this also helps pave the way for increases to the Silver and Gold thresholds ... probably also needed. [my underline]

4. You know, I was considering the 3k and 3k route into GGL. I have more flights these days, and qualified for Gold just 3 weeks into my year this time. But a single 5k year is not that tough for me, bring forward a holiday a few weeks and visit some US West Coast wineries (Staged via EU, LCY and somewhere on the East Coast ). I suspect I'll go for it.

5. I see where other posters are coming from re. the Short notice period. But at least on this occasion there IS a notice period! The Euro-Gold notice remains the high watermark though.

For me, all-in-all a net plus providing GGL can actually deliver the "service" to high standard going forward.
Oh, thanks, fellow Silver

I thought we were the nice, humble, people around here? BAEC society's 'bottom feeders', who cause no trouble to anyone?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by economyman
Absolutely! Thank you SteveF

Edited to add that whilst this change won't impact me and I agree with it on principle I certainly would be upset if the change occurred during my second qualification year. I think BA should have allowed those in that predicament to attain GGL by the end of their membership year rather than a specific date. Moving the goal posts after someone has achieved 3000 in the first year with the intention of achieving the same in the second year is somewhat unfair.
+1. Exactly my feeling.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:42 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Edited because I can't read

Last edited by Gaz; Nov 26, 2014 at 12:44 pm Reason: Question already answered in post 1
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:47 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
The change as it stands doesn't affect me, but I'd hope that if at some point, it does become 5000 to maintain (which quite honest wouldn't surprise me given the way the wind seems to be below), we get a full TP collection year to achieve it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.