Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But why?

Your profile says you are GGL, so you can maintain this status indefinitely by accumulating 3,000 TPs per year.

The 3,000 per year for 2 consecutive years is abolished for those ACQUIRING GGL, not those MAINTAINING.
I think you need to read on irishguy28! You'll see others have already corrected my initial misundertanding.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
It seems an obvious solution to raise the barrier for entry.
Perhaps they should have gone back to invite only, then there
* wouldn't be a specific target to go for
* They could ignore low CIV golds, people who earn the tps by doing BRU-HNL flights, but reward people they wanted to keep on side
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:52 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
But why?

Your profile says you are GGL, so you can maintain this status indefinitely by accumulating 3,000 TPs per year.

The 3,000 per year for 2 consecutive years is abolished for those ACQUIRING GGL, not those MAINTAINING.

But lose the status - and you become subject to the 5,000 TP level.
I'd be careful throwing around the word... indefinitely.

It's nice they softened the blow by letting existing GGLs keep it but from April 8th they'll have a ticking clock of 1-2 years if they are lucky and their numbers don't dwindle fast enough before they decide to bring the hatchet down the remaining half the way.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by amt
I'd be careful throwing around the word... indefinitely.
Actually , indefinitely seems a pretty good word to use given that it means that it is for an unknown length of time and BA could change the rules

If the person had implied it was forever, that would be a risk
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: BA GGL; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Let's straighten something out- has anyone, ever, in the history of the BA board / TP run thread done a TP run with the sole purpose of getting GGL by way of 3000TPs 2 years in a row? The only TP runs I have heard about are for people who want to get silver, get gold or get a CCR card, surely? I would be happy to be proved wrong.
I have this year, actually, as I got 3k+ last year but wouldn't have this year. I want to go to SYD next year on Avios and therefore felt that getting jokers would be worthwhile. Fortunately I'll be hitting GGL on 8th December.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:58 am

But why?

All well and good... up until the point you want to take some parental leave when you have a baby. That's going to be a game changer under these new rules.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by 710 77345
All well and good... up until the point you want to take some parental leave when you have a baby. That's going to be a game changer under these new rules.
But in the past you still dropped from GGL for 2 years anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
There is no soft landing, that is made clear in the T+C of the partner card. If you dont re-nominate, then the requalification works as if their status hadn't changed with the Gold card.
The T+C may say no soft landing, but it appears the systems aren't quite up to that. Mrs O got a soft landing to Silver, and I don' believe she will have been alone
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I think this is why I have been dumping my miles. No need to keep them.

Don't know why BA has changed all of their policies from the start?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
Mrs MD is one of those who will be hit by these changes. She achieved 3800TPs last year and was easily on track to pass 3000 and reach GGL, with flights to SYD and JFK in April and May, before her year end in June. With these rule changes, there's no chance of her getting GGL now and it will affect future booking choices.

Meanwhile I will get the 3000 I need to renew, but I feel bad that the drawbridge is being pulled up behind us to keep out those who were planning to reach 3000 for the second year running by their year end.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it will certainly keep me out of the club.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
From the outside, it is interesting to note how many people this is impacting, people that would otherwise have qualified for GGL through their normal flying year, not via contrived TP runs.

It is more than I would have thought, even in this forum with its sometimes warped view of frequent flying. I do agree with others that if BA had wanted to be fair here, they should have given members until the end of their current BAEC year.

But, if it was BA's intention was to reduce the number of people getting to GGL after April 2015, it certainly seems that it will work in that respect.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
But in the past you still dropped from GGL for 2 years anyway.
Indeed, but you could bounce back with your 3k-4.9k TPs - whereas now you can't get back up to your old GGL level.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question Will I qualify

I will have 3500 TPs by my my EC year end on 8 Dec. Am I correc in assuming that if I earn 3000 TPs between 9 Dec 2014 and 8 April 2015 then I will be granted GGL status?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by col747uk
I will have 3500 TPs by my my EC year end on 8 Dec. Am I correc in assuming that if I earn 3000 TPs between 9 Dec 2014 and 8 April 2015 then I will be granted GGL status?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.