Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Funnily enough, the KWV (a South African winemaker) ad the bottom of this thread says "Nothing worth having was ever gained easily". Have you noticed from the ads that that the FT cookies know exactly where you are?!!!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by YClass
Out of interest, why do people love calling the one-ring GGL line?
Because I travel a lot and have lots of bookings.

About 20-25 bookings in my list of bookings at present. I called twice today - once re. a waitlist on a full flight, once to change seats on a CX flight.

I called in the past few days to: (i) change/upgrade a ticket for next week, (ii) change another ticket, (iii) refund a third ticket, (iv) make an open jaw GUFT/avios booking that can't be done online, (v) rebook a flight with a schedule change.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by morges1
Have you noticed from the ads that that the FT cookies know exactly where you are?!!!
Ads? What Ads? ....... Plus puts a stop to all that annoying nonsense.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B435 Safari/600.1.4)

There are two key levers that BA can manipulate to gain a desired outcome:
1. Qualifying requirements for each level
2. Benefits at each level

They've pulled lever 1 now, I wonder when they'll pull lever 2 and what the outcome will be?
Enhancements of course.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Let's straighten something out- has anyone, ever, in the history of the BA board / TP run thread done a TP run with the sole purpose of getting GGL by way of 3000TPs 2 years in a row? The only TP runs I have heard about are for people who want to get silver, get gold or get a CCR card, surely? I would be happy to be proved wrong.
I could imagine that some who obtained 3000 in one year and then were looking a bit short in their 2nd year would do a TP run to get GGL.

This almost happened to me. I was over 3000 TP in my 2012 membership year.

When it looked like I was not going to get close to 3000 in 2013 I was considering a TP run, but I didn't have the time.

Even without the CCR card I would have liked access to the jokers.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Let's straighten something out- has anyone, ever, in the history of the BA board / TP run thread done a TP run with the sole purpose of getting GGL by way of 3000TPs 2 years in a row?
Yes, me

In my first year of BAEC membership I did about 3300Tps, and then in my second appeared to be on course for somewhere between 2000-2500 so I did my one and only ever TP run and had a long weekend in Honolulu - which I thought would mean I got GGL and the 2nd GUF2 (as it was then) too. As it transpired my work travel dropped off somewhat and I only just scraped the second year at about 3060TP.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
Ads? What Ads? ....... Plus puts a stop to all that annoying nonsense.
WOW, Brilliant! You just made my day! It actually works!!!! ^
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Let's straighten something out- has anyone, ever, in the history of the BA board / TP run thread done a TP run with the sole purpose of getting GGL by way of 3000TPs 2 years in a row?
I've done one to get from 1,800 to 3,000 to renew GGL. You can imagine a circumstance where someone does an unusual (for them) eighteen months of fairly frequent LH premium flying and does a run to get GGL, albeit without much hope of retaining it after the first year?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I heard that Mr Hillier isn't a real person, but a blow-up doll occasionally lurking in one of the CCR cabanas.
...waiting to see what it feels like to be at the receiving end?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
WOW, Brilliant! You just made my day! It actually works!!!! ^
....and mine!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by mgiarc
I've done one to get from 1,800 to 3,000 to renew GGL. You can imagine a circumstance where someone does an unusual (for them) eighteen months of fairly frequent LH premium flying and does a run to get GGL, albeit without much hope of retaining it after the first year?
I can see a situation where someone doesn't do as much flying in one year, so it only coming in a 2500, and does a tp run to renew GGL. More so than doing a tp run at 1200tp to renew gold.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by morges1
....and mine!
Definitely the best post of the day, by SteveF
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Because I travel a lot and have lots of bookings.
Fair enough! I have usually had some form of travel agent, or bookings which can amend online. Complex Avios redemptions however.....

On TP Runs, if someone can be ar*ed to fly across the world and spend hours on a plane and figure out some cheapo fare to get the required TP, then hats off to them, let them do it! Clearly they like your airline enough to endure that.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Definitely the best post of the day, by SteveF
Done, goodbye FT (and other) ads!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Several points from me
1. Thank you Jeni for posting, and the detail being clear enough to understand. It seems this story even beat the FT rumourmill too

2. I'd like to think this change for GGL, by BAEC, is to stave off a sudden burst in numbers which has diluted (further) the value of other BAEC tiers. I can certainly imagine the oneworld US/AA and QR flyers are swelling the 3000tp ranks if they are crediting to BAEC.

3. I would suspect this also helps pave the way for increases to the Silver and Gold thresholds ... probably also needed.

4. You know, I was considering the 3k and 3k route into GGL. I have more flights these days, and qualified for Gold just 3 weeks into my year this time. But a single 5k year is not that tough for me, bring forward a holiday a few weeks and visit some US West Coast wineries (Staged via EU, LCY and somewhere on the East Coast ). I suspect I'll go for it.

5. I see where other posters are coming from re. the Short notice period. But at least on this occasion there IS a notice period! The Euro-Gold notice remains the high watermark though.

For me, all-in-all a net plus providing GGL can actually deliver the "service" to high standard going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.