Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
That's correct, headingwest.
Thanks Filthy Monkey

So the numbers must be really small.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Even though the only way I'm going to tip over the GGL threshold with normal flying is the 2x3000 qualifying criteria I still understand the reasoning for this.

If too many people reach an exclusive tier level then it's difficult to offer the benefits that they'd expect. Same with CCR card, if too many people had that it'd be better to raise the threshold than suffer overcrowding.

I quite like the idea of having a higher initial qualifying target (5000) and then a lower amount for renewal, it means there's no change for existing GGL members.

So if I want to reach GGL I'd need to pick a year when I'm flying regularly enough to tip over 3000 and then do a TP run to get to 5k, not the end of the world.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
Thanks Filthy Monkey

So the numbers must be really small.
The numbers non-F CCR card holders in the CCR room at any one time are small. Bear in mind how many F passengers pass through T5 every day and are entitled to use the CCR - most BA long haul has 14 F seats, each can bring a guest, and you have passengers inbound in F who are connecting on to domestic or short haul and can use the CCR. However, some people on this board have got it in to their head that the CCR is flooded with CCR card holders not flying in F, and if only you removed them then footfall would fall significantly and all would be sweetness and light. I like to call these people the "kippers" of the baec world.

You may be able to detect my feelings on the subject
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
If its 5000 to qualify then 3000 to re-qualify I see this as a positive.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: GGLfL
And a Hilliergram has now arrived:

We're making GGL even more exclusive

Dear Mr SimonR,

As a Gold Guest List Member you enjoy our most exclusive level of comfort and service.

To help preserve that exclusivity, we are changing the way Members qualify for Gold Guest List status.

As you are already a Gold Guest List Member, hopefully this change won’t affect you. As long as you earn 3,000 Tier Points during your Tier Point collection year, you will continue to enjoy all the benefits of Gold Guest List.

However, from 1 January 2015, the only way to achieve Gold Guest List will be to earn 5,000 Tier Points in one Tier Point collection year. This means Members will no longer be able to qualify for Gold Guest List by earning 3,000 Tier Points in two consecutive Tier Point collection years.

We look forward to welcoming you on-board again soon.

Last edited by MrSimonR; Nov 26, 2014 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Good move by BA ^

Over the years the wait on the GGL phone line has increased and there is really no point having space releases (AKA joker) if you can't use them.

HL

As a Gold Guest List Member you enjoy our most exclusive level of comfort and service.

To help preserve that exclusivity, we are changing the way Members qualify for Gold Guest List status.

As you are already a Gold Guest List Member, hopefully this change won’t affect you. As long as you earn 3,000 Tier Points during your Tier Point collection year, you will continue to enjoy all the benefits of Gold Guest List.

However, from 1 January 2015, the only way to achieve Gold Guest List will be to earn 5,000 Tier Points in one Tier Point collection year. This means Members will no longer be able to qualify for Gold Guest List by earning 3,000 Tier Points in two consecutive Tier Point collection years.

We look forward to welcoming you on-board again soon.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:33 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:12 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well I could tell from your earlier posts on this thread that you are a little sensitive
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I will qualify for this prior to April 2015, so obviously I'm fully in favour.

Naturally if I were to miss out by a month or two I'd be furious.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
The numbers non-F CCR card holders in the CCR room at any one time are small. Bear in mind how many F passengers pass through T5 every day and are entitled to use the CCR - most BA long haul has 14 F seats, each can bring a guest, and you have passengers inbound in F who are connecting on to domestic or short haul and can use the CCR. However, some people on this board have got it in to their head that the CCR is flooded with CCR card holders not flying in F, and if only you removed them then footfall would fall significantly and all would be sweetness and light. I like to call these people the "kippers" of the baec world.

BTW just to be clear in my comments I said if there were ever too many CCR card holders it would make sense to raise the threshold. I don't believe that's the case now (and you have more experience of the place than I do) but if it ever does happen then it would make sense to raise the thresholds or move some more flights to T3

I have no personal interest in raising the TP required for a CCR card as it'd make it even harder for me to ever get one, and on my average of twice a year F trips I've never encountered an overcrowded CCR.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That nice Mr. Hillier hasn't got round to emailing me yet, but nevertheless I can see the new Terms and Conditions, pre and post changeover, are now online:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That nice Mr. Hillier hasn't got round to emailing me yet, but nevertheless I can see the new Terms and Conditions, pre and post changeover, are now online:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits
With the amount of flying you do they could change it to 3000 TP/month and you'd not be worried
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
This is the EC mail for those of us who aren't GGL:

Currently, Gold Members can achieve Gold Guest List when they earn 3,000 Tier Points in two consecutive Tier Point collection years, or 5,000 Tier Points in a single Tier Point collection year.

From 1st January 2015, there will only be one way to reach Gold Guest List - by earning 5,000 Tier Points in a single Tier Point collection year.

As you are a Gold Member who earned over 3,000 Tier Points in your last Tier Point collection year, we understand this change may affect you. So if you reach 3,000 Tier Points before 8th April 2015 you will still achieve Gold Guest List.

However, if you don't reach 3,000 Tier Points you can continue to enjoy the benefits of Gold by earning 1,500 Tier Points as before.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:42 am

If, as I understand it, non GGL members who then attain status are able to renew status by earning 3,000 Tier Points in the next collection year, then in fact it's only the initial attainment of status which will be more difficult now. That is of course if I have understood this change correctly.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:42 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B435 Safari/600.1.4)

There are two key levers that BA can manipulate to gain a desired outcome:
1. Qualifying requirements for each level
2. Benefits at each level

They've pulled lever 1 now, I wonder when they'll pull lever 2 and what the outcome will be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.