Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by chistery
I wonder if there's any correlation between the posters that have sugested it should be harder to attain gold in other threads, and now not happy that GGL is going to be harder to get?
Maybe I have missed something, not sure we are hearing the same level of bleating from GGL's that seems to accompany any mention of GCH benefits or levels.

For my part the benefits offered to GGL would suggest it has to reasonably hard to attain, so this is not really a surprise. 5K a year might however kick up a royal rumpus though

I wonder how many this has actually affected or just slowed the growth of GGL.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: All the best ones.
What I guess has happened is that there has been big increases in the numbers of GGL members in recent years. The managers at BAEC have decided that to cope with the projected numbers of future GGLs that BA would need to invest more money in call centers and providing service support because of limitations in its resources. Instead, to BAEC has decided to make it more difficult for travelers to qualify for GGL in the future, so that fewer people qualify. The plan is that this removes the need to make substantial investments to support those customers. i.e. The change is due to the need for BA to keep its future costs under control.

Plenty GGLs, Golds and Silvers get gifted that status as part of a corporate contract, so BA already has revenue as a factor into awarding elite status.

I understand the arguments for the GGL/CCR card to be its own tier, but the hurdle is probably an IT limitation, cost burden for preparing new documents and staff training, rather than an intended snub. If those willing to make GGL its own tier were willing to pay BAEC the transition costs, they might listen. There are worse ways to blow a few million
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by waspsl
I wonder how many this has actually affected or just slowed the growth of GGL.
If it affects only a few, then why make the change at all and keep more people happy. So I'd hope there is a material reason for doing it. They filled up GGL quota and now want it stabilized probably. Or enough people doing TP runs to get it, don't know.

I only complain of course because I was going for it this particular year! I was really looking forward to easier spending of avios once a year and the lack of fees which they downgraded on plain Gold.

From an economic perspective BA will lose some of my ticket fees to other airlines (several £k per year), but have made a modest increase in Avios fees (maybe £500 per year). Overall a loss from me as a customer, but a drop in the ocean. Anyways, is what it is.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by vibguy
Indeed, time to have the GOLD threshold at 2000-2500 tier points, silver at 1000-1250 tier points and no longer priority boarding for bronze. I expect these changes to come sooner than later.
The only thing that isn't likely to change in the future is BA's tendency to enhance qualification criteria and benefits. This is just 1 example.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
GGL used to be by invite, I think according to some thread somewhere, not automatic., and therefore maybe there is a quota that has been exceeded as Yclass says.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
It has been fun getting it and I can now hob nob with the VIPs in the CCR as well
We look forward to seeing you there, KARFA!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
That's correct, headingwest. GGL members do not automatically get access to the CCR, unless they are flying in F or have reached 5,000 TPs and received a CCR card.
And, I believe the 200 or so GGLfL(?LTGGL), FM
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
I really cant see this change being down to those riffraff TP runners .
I'm sure the conversion of Hawaii runs to GGL (rather than simple Gold) hasn't been great. But our TR thread's, errr, enthusiasm about jumping on EU-based babybus-trips with AA transcons might have alarmed the architects of BAEC.

Whatever the reason, they very clearly want to slow down the recruitment of GGL members.....

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
If it was then surely the renewal qualification would also have been 5000 TP.
.... while retaining existing members.

i'm guessing the risk of pissing off existing GGL customers would be too great. One thing to raise the joining hurdle, quite a different matter to change the rules for existing members.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
I guess the really interesting part of this is "what happens now"?
It seems possibly inevitable that the basic GOLD qualifying threshhold needs to rise as a result. If you can qualify in one or two trips then it really isn't an 'elite' status is it?
Interesting times ahead I think.
T8191 tugs his forelock to the assembled gentlemen and ladies, having wiped his feet and doffed his cap ...

Depending on the initial rationale of this change, the trickle-down potential on the peasantry is of course of similar concern.

We re-qualify as Silver with 2 TATLs next year ... one UuA to J and one paid J [using the 'DUB Ploy', on US]. I can't believe next year was so easy, saving us the overall cost of an additional holiday* and allowing us to squander Avios on a 241 in F for a 3rd holiday.

Is this the thin end of a tapered piece of wood for everyone?

* I can't rationalise a pure TP run for status.

Last edited by T8191; Nov 26, 2014 at 8:52 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Out of interest, why do people love calling the one-ring GGL line? I hardly ever need to speak to an agent unless its for some complex Avios redemption and there BA standard line has been pretty good.

A Revenue based system like others, I believe SQ do it, could work - so 3000 TP over two years plus £25k annual spend or something. I always thought its harsh if you constantly book a last-minute Y fares for £1k+ and its only worth 40TP....

GGL is great for BA as its a quasi-unofficial tier, so based on the economy they can fluctuate requirements. Effectively normalises top-elite status each year. I suspect TP runners are small in number and don't affect the economics of elite status. On the other hand 1000 bankers/consultants flying LHR-NYC weekly return on projects or doing worldwide roadshows surely does. They have deeply discounted corporate fares, but when they travel, they really travel, and can "easily" generate GGL (3000 TP isn't even "easy" IMO), and this pushes up the requirements for those who do it on their own dime.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
While I do think that I will manage to get my GGL before the deadline without changing my flying pattern, I do find it a bit unfair in principle that BA announces those changes so late and makes the grace period worthy or not very dependent on when people's year starts/finishes.

The new system creates a big difference between people already in and those who are not, and as such will further emphasise differences between divergent situations. For example, while I do not want to reopen the normative discussion on that issue, in strictly empirical terms, I really wonder how many new (non-UK) European GGLs will be joining the club every year - my personally guess is that this will be very close to zero.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC
"T8191 tugs his forelock to the assembled gentlemen and ladies, having wiped his feet and doffed his cap ..."

OK there's nothing else for it then.....

Next year I shall be going for the new "Super Executive Million Miler Platinum VIP Elite With Brass Knobs On" on Fly Baby Airlines

It's a new premium tier which will involve at least 2 sectors on a North Sea Ferry and a return in F on a camel (or a Minke Whale if TATL/TransPAC)

For anyone who is interested, the card is a very attractive shade of sludge green with an aubergine "swoosh".....

I'm seriusly looking forward to the challenge!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave_C
However everyone seems to be in broad agreement that it's a good thing. Rarely do we have this amount of unanimity here on FT.
You're 100% correct.

Those that are already GGL are in broad agreement that it's a good thing, as it doesn't really affect those.

Those that are chasing GGL and are part way towards the 2 x 3000 TPs are in broad agreement that its a bad thing.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Let's straighten something out- has anyone, ever, in the history of the BA board / TP run thread done a TP run with the sole purpose of getting GGL by way of 3000TPs 2 years in a row? The only TP runs I have heard about are for people who want to get silver, get gold or get a CCR card, surely? I would be happy to be proved wrong.

If anything this change could be seen as active encouragement of TP runs (i.e. earn an extra 2000TPs outside of your normal activity to get onto the GGL ladder). If BA didn't like TP runs then they could put a stop to the whole thing by cutting TPs on non-BA flights. They aren't, they won't, it is what it is.

This change is directed solely at the folk who are accruing TPs fairly consistently at the 3k<5k level (i.e. at least 2 years in a row). A minority perhaps. But here is the caveat- the change leaves a chunky gap between gold (1.5k) and the next level (GGL/CCR: 5k). There is lots of 'I'm alright, Jack' on this thread but this is the second major change to Gold/GGL levels/benefits in <12 months.

Nothing stands still for long.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by vibguy
Indeed, time to have the GOLD threshold at 2000-2500 tier points, silver at 1000-1250 tier points and no longer priority boarding for bronze. I expect these changes to come sooner than later.
Can I ask how many TPs you typically get each year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.