Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Gold Guest List Qualification Criteria

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That nice Mr. Hillier hasn't got round to emailing me yet ...
Is it something you've said?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
BTW just to be clear in my comments I said if there were ever too many CCR card holders it would make sense to raise the threshold. I don't believe that's the case now (and you have more experience of the place than I do) but if it ever does happen then it would make sense to raise the thresholds or move some more flights to T3

I have no personal interest in raising the TP required for a CCR card as it'd make it even harder for me to ever get one, and on my average of twice a year F trips I've never encountered an overcrowded CCR.
Don't worry layz, I didn't mean you, and tbh I don't think anyone has advanced that argument on this thread. It was more a response to comments I have seen being made in other threads. I feel better now I have got that off my chest anyway - my therapist says it is best to express my feelings and not hold them in
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by headingwest
If, as I understand it, non GGL members who then attain status are able to renew status by earning 3,000 Tier Points in the next collection year, then in fact it's only the initial attainment of status which will be more difficult now. That is of course if I have understood this change correctly.
That's correct. There's no change for existing members.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Andriyko
We don't know what the increase in the number of GGL was that prompted BA to raise the threshold.
I was wondering about this only the other day! The difference between the semi-closeted world of the FT BAEC Forum and the world beyond our digital borders....

I got chatting to three men in the lounge last week (who were sat at the table next to me drinking quite a lot of fizz and consequently in a chatty mood...) They were travelling together on their 3rd TP run of the year to qualify for GGL. They'd done it last year too.

The interesting thing was that, when I questioned their lunacy (!) they all said they knew of other friends who'd been TP running every year to achieve GGL - especially for the jokers? I asked if they posted here on FT (expecting one of them to be a recognisable name) and they all looked at me with a blank face and then asked me all about it!!

Safe to say there may be more people out there wise in the ways of TPs and whatnot than we might initially assume?

Anyway...

I guess the really interesting part of this is "what happens now"?

It seems possibly inevitable that the basic GOLD qualifying threshhold needs to rise as a result. If you can qualify in one or two trips then it really isn't an 'elite' status is it?

Interesting times ahead I think.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by angatol
How often have you not been able to use them?
Some times have been easy as pie, others more difficult because other GGLs are already using their space releases on my flight.

For me it has always been resolved by shifting by a day or so though, so no great drama.

I wouldn't want the situation to become more difficult than that though, otherwise there is really no point having a so-called 'exclusive' tier for those of us who have to endure the (mostly) pain of very regular flying on business.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by Fly Baby

It seems possibly inevitable that the basic GOLD qualifying threshhold needs to rise as a result.
Seeing how crowded the lounges are sometimes, this would be no bad thing.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
I was wondering about this only the other day! The difference between the semi-closeted world of the FT BAEC Forum and the world beyond our digital borders....

I got chatting to three men in the lounge last week (who were sat at the table next to me drinking quite a lot of fizz and consequently in a chatty mood...) They were travelling together on their 3rd TP run of the year to qualify for GGL. They'd done it last year too.

The interesting thing was that, when I questioned their lunacy (!) they all said they knew of other friends who'd been TP running every year to achieve GGL - especially for the jokers? I asked if they posted here on FT (expecting one of them to be a recognisable name) and they all looked at me with a blank face and then asked me all about it!!

Safe to say there may be more people out there wise in the ways of TPs and whatnot than we might initially assume?
That's most intersting, and it's a point that I tried to make on another thread the other day. There are a lot of people who book CE/CW solely with the purpose of increasing Tier Points. I reckon that non-FT readers are a lot more canny with their bookings than some think.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Is it something you've said?
The last time I met Mr. Hillier he said something along the lines that he had only rarely been inside the Concorde Room, so I cheekily offered to guest him. But yes I guess it's an irrelevant change from my perspective.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The last time I met Mr. Hillier he said something along the lines that he had only rarely been inside the Concorde Room, so I cheekily offered to guest him. But yes I guess it's an irrelevant change from my perspective.
Should have offered him a gold card!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
silver card please, don't need more peeps pinching my seat in the flounge....
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I've never been anywhere close to GGL nor ever likely to be even if the current criteria were to continue but this is yet another reason never to make long term plans with FF programmes. The rug can all too easily be pulled from under you without notice.

Very fair of BA to offer some protection and I'm pleased for those already through the door.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Nov 26, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: GGLfL
I heard that Mr Hillier isn't a real person, but a blow-up doll occasionally lurking in one of the CCR cabanas.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I heard that Mr Hillier isn't a real person, but a blow-up doll occasionally lurking in one of the CCR cabanas.
That's just what they told you. You asked for more access to that nice Mr Hillier and they provided it!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
QR may have a little to do with this

Now that QR have joined, I suspect a lot more people are qualifying. I recently needed to go to Asia and instead of Club's mouthwateringly high £3,600 for the date in question, went with QR for £1,800. Needless to say, that trip was worth 560tps rather than 280. I would still choose the direct option every time if price is reasonable. Other additions to One world have not changed the game so much. E.g., flying MH instead of BA gives the same TPs on most routes, but because QR itineraries all stop midway necessitating 2 long haul flights for every Europe - Asia trip, that must have had an effect.

I am surprised they are not trying to introduce some more criteria relating to the number of TPs earned on BA.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by HighLife
Over the years the wait on the GGL phone line has increased and there is really no point having space releases (AKA joker) if you can't use them.
I have no problem using Jokers. I only once had to shift a CPT flight by one day, which wasn't a big deal.

What is most noticeable is the wait times on the GGL line; they used to answer without even a ring, not it's not uncommon to wait 3,4,5 minutes, or even give up try again later.

Also, it's noticeable over the years that the team has grown with a lot of new (less familiar with the rules and the "perks") team members. In the early years, you got to know all the team, and many of the got to know you and your travel patterns. It's great to have that rapport with some of the team who have been there since the beginning, and they are absolute stars.

But more often that not, the call will be answered by someone you haven't spoken to before and that "personal touch" has gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.