Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Baggage Guide

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I would like to know how easy will it be to short-check my bag to LHR before rechecking it in later for my long haul. I will be travelling from Valencia and I do have about 8 hours of layover in LHR. I want to pass some items to a friend who is meeting me at LHR. Since it will be liquid I will have to check it in.
What's BA policy on this - also wondering how accommodating are the BA [most probably 3rd party agents] at Valencia on this?
The policy is that it would be through checked. In reality (and I think it's Iberia who handle at VLC) the agent may be fine to check just to LHR. But you're not in a position to insist on that given the policy so just ask nicely and hopefully all will be well. If that doesn't work you can reclaim the bag at LHR but it may take a couple of hours at this time of the year. You'd have to go to Baggage Services at the front of the carousels.
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The policy is that it would be through checked. In reality (and I think it's Iberia who handle at VLC) the agent may be fine to check just to LHR. But you're not in a position to insist on that given the policy so just ask nicely and hopefully all will be well. If that doesn't work you can reclaim the bag at LHR but it may take a couple of hours at this time of the year. You'd have to go to Baggage Services at the front of the carousels.
Thanks for the info. I do hope that I will be able to do so, but as you mentioned, if not, what I'll do is just remove the liquid and hand carry the rest to pass on, while just giving what can't be carried to my travel companion to check in. Just hope for the best.

Cheers!
Old May 1, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Booked on a HBO NCL-LHR tomorrow evening and need to check a bag. Went to check in on the app and said I wanted to add 1 bag then somehow managed to check in without paying for it (presumably pay at the airport).

App says £65 to add the bag at the airport but the pre-airport price is £25. I am unable to pay for the bag as I am checked in and I am reluctant to pay £65 to add a bag to a flight that I only paid £40 for. Tried the Gold line but it is closed until tomorrow morning.

Does anyone know if I can call BA in the morning and get the pre-airport price?
Old May 9, 2019, 12:03 pm

How closely does BA tend to measure the "smaller" of your two handbags. I will be traveling HBO MCO to LGW soon. My rolling case will be my larger additional bag and it fits into the size requirements. If I take a backpack for the other bag, are the chances high they will measure it, or do they not care much about backpacks unless they are huge? My backpack is fairly normal size, but it is a few inches outside of the size limits. Thanks for any tips on this policy and enforcement.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by tarq476
How closely does BA tend to measure the "smaller" of your two handbags. I will be traveling HBO MCO to LGW soon. My rolling case will be my larger additional bag and it fits into the size requirements. If I take a backpack for the other bag, are the chances high they will measure it, or do they not care much about backpacks unless they are huge? My backpack is fairly normal size, but it is a few inches outside of the size limits. Thanks for any tips on this policy and enforcement.
not really at all .... Loose enforcement of carry ons
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:44 pm

Why is BA's lost baggage tool so poor?

It is saying Searching, whilst World Tracer and the ground agents both say the bag is coming on tonight's flight. Surely its pulling information from World Tracer?

Last time i lost bags it was still saying they hadn't been located a few days after the courier had delivered them to me.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
As a newbie to BA, is BA always this slow in terms of retrieving luggage’s?

On our way to Europe, we probably waited at least 40 mins at TXL (in that tiny airport) for our bags to come out and now we are at 1.25 hrs at JFK with 80% of the plane still waiting for their bags.

edit: finally got it after 1.5 hrs and the BA Gold guy next to me said “first time?”

Last edited by samwise6222; Sep 2, 2019 at 11:48 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
TXL was the topic of some specific recent discussion here: Berlin Tegel
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Yet another 'short checking' question (having trawled the dashboard and this thread).

For an ex-EU (DUB-JFK), I understand that I can do the outbound DUB-LHR as HBO and then check a bag for the LHR-JFK the next morning. How about the return, if we plan to overnight at LHR on the way back, can we check bags at JFK to LHR only, rather than all the way to DUB? I have no intention of skipping the Dublin shuffle the next day, but would prefer to do it HBO.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
How about the return, if we plan to overnight at LHR on the way back, can we check bags at JFK to LHR only, rather than all the way to DUB? I have no intention of skipping the Dublin shuffle the next day, but would prefer to do it HBO.
Yes, you'll be able to short check the bags to LHR only.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:41 am

Thanks - is this just because of the overnight connection, or is this something that is readily achievable from US for a same-day connection at LHR?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
Thanks - is this just because of the overnight connection, or is this something that is readily achievable from US for a same-day connection at LHR?
I've only done it with an overnight connection. I believe they can refuse with a same-day connection, especially a short one.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:39 am

OK thanks. I am now leaning towards an overnight into LHR, but it would still be good to ditch the bags before going on to DUB. We'll see.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
If you upgrade a short-haul HBO fare would the silver benefits then apply? I.e. would I be able to take 2x 32kg bag rather than 2x 23kg bag?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by c1223
If you upgrade a short-haul HBO fare would the silver benefits then apply? I.e. would I be able to take 2x 32kg bag rather than 2x 23kg bag?
Yes, if you upgrade to Club Europe you would get the higher weight limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.