Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SonicStar817
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Codes:
320 = Airbus A320 without Sharklets
32A = Airbus A320 with Sharklets
32N = Airbus A320neo

Airbus A320 Seating Guide

The following elevation diagrams of the A320 CEO (type 32G) cabin show the relationship between seats and windows. Note, while the elevations show the arrangement of the DEF seats, the ABC side is effectively a mirror of what you can see here.

The LGW fleet also have a similar layout on the starboard (DEF) side forward of the overwing exits but on the LGW aircraft the row numbers start at 2. Other vital statistics are also included.

Here are the corresponding cabin elevations of the A320 NEO (type 32N). As with the CEO, the elevations show the arrangement of the DEF seats with the ABC side effectively a mirror of what you can see here.

See the first post in this thread for current seat maps, details, and aircraft codes BA use internally to distinguish the different configurations.

For all other aircraft codes
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-aircraft.html

Print Wikipost

Seating guide: Airbus A320

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
BA0632 LHR to ATH May 2020

My wife and I are booked in J courtesy of our cruise line. We have been allocated seats 6A and 7D and I assume it will be a 320, but once we flew to Athens in a 767. I’m looking at the seat plan and we can change our seats but they’re all showing as taken.

Currently I am only bronze status, but by the end of March I should be silver. Are the seats in row one normally blacked out for most passengers until T-24, in which case I may be able to change our seats hen I change status, or failing that at 7 days prior, or perhaps the cruise line has purchased all the J seats and pr-allocated all of them?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Plat, Meliá Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite Plus
Hi Botham,
A few thoughts below.
1) An edge case but sometimes the ticket type is sometimes important, whilst this is a scheduled BA flight, such companies may book as a group. In my experience, I was never able to pick a seat in advance of arriving at the airport, indeed was not able to check-in until the airport. I guess it is to do with the same PNR and PII issues. This is the worst case. If you can MMB now and are allowed to pay for a seat change, then the above does probably not apply to you.
2) If you are on a regular ticket (most likely), as you know you can book T-7days and silver at any time after the ticket is issued (anything available except row one).
3) GCH and above get exclusive access to row one in advance of T-72. Although I don’t think this route will be full of GCH (although maybe I am wrong about that).
4) If a GCH has not booked row 1 by T-72 Hours it will probably open up to Silver and Bronze.
5) There is an exception to the above (4), lets say there is a GCH in 1A then theoretical seating may kick-in at &-72 (on a non-full flight) and block 1C. The same with 1E 1F examples.
6) To be honest most of the time, I am lucky and manage to get a row one seat as Silver (and previously as bronze).
Other bits:
7) The size of CE may expand or contract based on load (moving curtain). If this is more about you sitting together rather than specifically in the front row, keep you eye out for new rows becoming available where you can pair.
8) There is a nice little catch on some A320 (although I think out of LGW rather than LHR) where E and F doesn’t start until Row 2 (bulkhead at row 2) and therefore open to Silver and Bronze in line with their BAEC benefits free seat selection times.
9) Finally I don’t think BA fly 767’s anymore.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dislikeofturningright
Hi Botham,
A few thoughts below.
1) An edge case but sometimes the ticket type is sometimes important, whilst this is a scheduled BA flight, such companies may book as a group. In my experience, I was never able to pick a seat in advance of arriving at the airport, indeed was not able to check-in until the airport. I guess it is to do with the same PNR and PII issues. This is the worst case. If you can MMB now and are allowed to pay for a seat change, then the above does probably not apply to you.
2) If you are on a regular ticket (most likely), as you know you can book T-7days and silver at any time after the ticket is issued (anything available except row one).
3) GCH and above get exclusive access to row one in advance of T-72. Although I don’t think this route will be full of GCH (although maybe I am wrong about that).
4) If a GCH has not booked row 1 by T-72 Hours it will probably open up to Silver and Bronze.
5) There is an exception to the above (4), lets say there is a GCH in 1A then theoretical seating may kick-in at &-72 (on a non-full flight) and block 1C. The same with 1E 1F examples.
6) To be honest most of the time, I am lucky and manage to get a row one seat as Silver (and previously as bronze).
Other bits:
7) The size of CE may expand or contract based on load (moving curtain). If this is more about you sitting together rather than specifically in the front row, keep you eye out for new rows becoming available where you can pair.
8) There is a nice little catch on some A320 (although I think out of LGW rather than LHR) where E and F doesn’t start until Row 2 (bulkhead at row 2) and therefore open to Silver and Bronze in line with their BAEC benefits free seat selection times.
9) Finally I don’t think BA fly 767’s anymore.
thanks for such a comprehensive reply. For some reason our seats have been pre-allocated for the outbound flight, but the return from Rome a couple of weeks later is only available in the usual way. With long legs, I’d appreciate row 1, but some bubbly will compensate for a little discomfort.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dislikeofturningright
4) If a GCH has not booked row 1 by T-72 Hours it will probably open up to Silver and Bronze.M.
I have a few data points on this now and it almost always turns out to be T-72 hours and 30 minutes. I have no idea why but seems to be the case.
BertieBadger and IFlyPlanes like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I have a few data points on this now and it almost always turns out to be T-72 hours and 30 minutes. I have no idea why but seems to be the case.
Yes, I'd agree with this from my experiences of a couple of years ago. When I was SCH my "technique" was to put an event in my phone for exactly 3 days before. On Android at least, the default seems to be to fire the alert 30 mins before the event, so I'd check at T-72h30m or thereabouts, and the row was typically available.

I have a vague recollection of it actually becoming available on refreshing it at exactly that time, but I can't swear by that....

Maybe the BA technique for releasing row 1 is an intern and a mobile phone
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Plat, Meliá Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite Plus
I don't know for sure, but I guess the 72 hour thing is when it moves from their booking/reservations to airport/operations mode.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:05 am

Sure enough, the number of rows of J seats has been increased to 10 and we have been given the opportunity to choose two seats together. I’ll keep looking after my status changes and maybe row 1 will become available.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:36 am

I will fly LHR-LIN BA584 on 1st March, the seatmap show an A320 (-ceo, not -neo) in 30 rows configuration: will I find the new slim Recaro seats (with USB charges) on rows 13-30 or has the A320-ceo kept the old seat (with recline)?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Paolo99
I will fly LHR-LIN BA584 on 1st March, the seatmap show an A320 (-ceo, not -neo) in 30 rows configuration: will I find the new slim Recaro seats (with USB charges) on rows 13-30 or has the A320-ceo kept the old seat (with recline)?
Pretty sure the re-configured CEO has the older seat design with recline.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paolo99
Welcome to Flyertalk Paolo99, welcome to the BA forum and I hope we will see more of you here in the future.

If it's a 180 seat CEO then it will be Pinnacle seating, no USB charging but with recline. I am not sure how you managed to work out you are not NEO though.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:04 am

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I've managed to work out my aircraft will be a CEO because, based on BA site ("Manage my booking" and then "choose a seat") another flight I've booked (BA570) is clearly marked as an Airbus A320-NEO, instead this flight (BA584) is showing only A320. In other words, when I try to choose a seat, the BA570 is marked as an "32N" operating, instead the BA584 is marked as an "320" operating: in this same situation, two months ago, I got a re-configured CEO, but I was travelling in Club Europe, so there weren't differences in terms of seats.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I flew on one of the 6 remaining ex-BMI A320s last week between LGW - ACE in ET, row 11 (exit row). I saw the curtain was after row 9. It got me wondering if that was the max on those birds, or do they ever extend to row 12, like LHR 320s?
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:07 am

Row 1 on 20E code A320 LGW

Hi. Although I can see a window next to seat 1A, it looks quite far back and almost obscured by the seat. Is the window viewable? Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. Although I can see a window next to seat 1A, it looks quite far back and almost obscured by the seat. Is the window viewable? Thanks.
So that's better known here as a G-GAT aircraft, and yes the window isn't perfectly aligned on row 1. Most FTers would normally be going for row 2D 2F anyway. But you can still see out of 1A but 2A, 2C would be a bit better from a window perspective, and no issue on 2D and 2F.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So that's better known here as a G-GAT aircraft, and yes the window isn't perfectly aligned on row 1. Most FTers would normally be going for row 2D 2F anyway. But you can still see out of 1A but 2A, 2C would be a bit better from a window perspective, and no issue on 2D and 2F.
Thanks. One of 2DF is already occupied hence looking at alternatives as there are two travelling. I'm currently silver so there is a slight possibility of row 1 opening up 72 hrs prior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.