Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
    Originally Posted by Paralytic
    I thought you'd been able to use the Amex for a while, but the the pence per Avios made it even more expensive than buying from BA for me. I guess it might be worth it for the more expensive bands.
    are you saying that there's an extra charge for using Amex?

or saying that paying £250 in tax is an expensive way of getting a few hundred avios?
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by chris1979
    are you saying that there's an extra charge for using Amex?

or saying that paying £250 in tax is an expensive way of getting a few hundred avios?
    There's a £2.50 charge for using a credit card.

So, for me, there will be a point where it is worth using the card. With the BAPP, it'd be around £200 (300 Avios, 0.67 pence per Avios). With the former BMI Amex (2 Avios per £), it'd be a bit less. Some may be willing to pay more per Avios.

nobbyclark said he eared 750 Avios, (presumably £500 road tax) so that's a good deal at 0.33 pence per Avios.
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
    £2.50 for a sum I have to pay seems like reasonable value. Although it's been possible to pay by card for many years, AMEX is only a recent payment option. It certainly wasn't there in September when I had to tax the other car.
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:17 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by nobbyclark
    £2.50 for a sum I have to pay seems like reasonable value.
    Doesn't its value depend on how many Avios you're going to get rather than the mere fact that you have to pay it? After all, you can pay with a debit card at no extra charge.

If the transaction's only going to earn you about 200 Avios (as it might before DVLA accepted Amex), then £2.50 doesn't seem to be particularly good value. On the other hand, if you have a bigger amount to pay and you can now use Amex and earn (say) 1000 Avios, then the £2.50 fee would seem much better value.
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
    Maybe the economics teacher at my school was right to turn me away before I even set foot in his class, but if I have to pay £500 for a tax disc (understand that I could trade the big lump for a Pious and pay £0, but choose not to), then £2.50 for the miles seems cheap.
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:23 am
    Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
    Completely OT, but the Prius is one of the crappiest cars ever built. At last something Jeremy Clarkson and I agree on!
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:39 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Maybe the economics teacher at my school was right to turn me away before I even set foot in his class, but if I have to pay £500 for a tax disc (understand that I could trade the big lump for a Pious and pay £0, but choose not to), then £2.50 for the miles seems cheap.
    Exactly: whether paying £2.50 is good value depends on how much you're paying in total, and it works for you because you're paying that much.
    Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
    Originally Posted by Globaliser
    Exactly: whether paying £2.50 is good value depends on how much you're paying in total, and it works for you because you're paying that much.
    Also depends if you are spending towards the 241 voucher in which case the small credit card fee is, for me, worth it.
    Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:43 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    £10 credit at house of fraser, login to account, offer will be on right hand side
    Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
    Not sure how new this is, but you can now use AMEX on the DVLA website to pay for a car tax disc. Certainly new since September last year when I taxed the other motor. Just earned 750 avios, which almost sweetened the pill of having to pay so much for the roads not to be fixed and for the Highways Agency to swan around in fancy motors.

It wasn't an option when I taxed mine online on jan 31st - paid using my BMI visa instead
    Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:49 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by leaveamessage
    It wasn't an option when I taxed mine online on jan 31st - paid using my BMI visa instead
    There is something odd about DVLA. It has been taking Amex for over a year but some people always say they don't see it. Perhaps there are 2 different websites out there?
    Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:06 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by T8191
    Not very impressed. I conversed by the telephonic instrument on 7 Feb with both BAEC and ( via the wonders of technology) Amex. They are "trying to trace this" and it should be resolved ... Oh, in a week?
    I will see where we are by Wednesday ... I accept the possibility the flooding has washed my records off a hard drive somewhere.
    This morning I finally received my 241
    OK, two weeks since the phone call, and over 2 months since I qualified for it (8 Dec 13).
    The even nicer part is that it's got an issue date of <drum roll> 22 Feb 14, so I've gained an extra 11 weeks' validity
    Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:38 am

I have a quick question which may have been answered previously but I can't see it...

When redeeming a BA AMEX 2-for-1 companion voucher, can you utilise points in your household account, or only those in the account of the card holder? Both members of the household account will be on the booking.

In my case I have around 80k in my personal account, plus another 5k from my wife's account. Shortly we will both be flying return to the west coast of the states from Glasgow (in economy) so will pick up another few points on that trip.

Ideally I would like to have 100-120k before making a 2-for-1 redemption - probably business class to the states next year at some point.
    Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:44 am

They come out of your HHA. I just booked my 241 and it takes most from the main, but there is some calculation, I just can't remember it!
    Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by BertiebassUK
    They come out of your HHA. I just booked my 241 and it takes most from the main, but there is some calculation, I just can't remember it!
    Great thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.