Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL partner card rules question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Spoke to the GGL team, they are waiting to hear back from the Loyalty team but they said they had been told a few months ago that newly qualified members would not get refreshed partner cards at their first renewal date. We both agreed that isn't what the t&c's say and it could be they change the t&c's to reflect what they have been told.

So will have to wait a little longer for a response.....
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC (GGL)
Originally Posted by BA6501
Any news, Work2Travel333?
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Spoke to the GGL team, they are waiting to hear back from the Loyalty team but they said they had been told a few months ago that newly qualified members would not get refreshed partner cards at their first renewal date. We both agreed that isn't what the t&c's say and it could be they change the t&c's to reflect what they have been told.

So will have to wait a little longer for a response.....
Sorry for the slow response, just back from a 5 week work trip. I'm afraid the last response I had from the GGL team on the phone was that the issue was with the Loyalty team. The agent seemed to indicate there would be a change in the T&C's but was hoping to convince the Loyalty team to honour the current wording as a token gesture.... There has been no further response since this. The lack of a quick resolution of this is more disappointing than the issue itself for me.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:30 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi all

Just a quick note to confirm that the Ts&Cs have been updated to clarify how the partner card process works. We are sorry for those who felt they were not clear so to confirm, a GGL Member can nominate their partner cards from the date they earn GGL. Their next set of partner cards would not be available for nomination until they have renewed at GGL (ie the first time you earn 3000 Tier Points after qualification). You will then receive the benefit each year upon renewal.

I hope this helps.

regards

Nicci
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Nicci - many thanks and excellent timing as I look to be heading back through 3000 TPs in the next week or so.

I assume that if I don't use my existing nominations then they will be lost?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Hi all

Just a quick note to confirm that the Ts&Cs have been updated to clarify how the partner card process works. We are sorry for those who felt they were not clear so to confirm, a GGL Member can nominate their partner cards from the date they earn GGL. Their next set of partner cards would not be available for nomination until they have renewed at GGL (ie the first time you earn 3000 Tier Points after qualification). You will then receive the benefit each year upon renewal.

I hope this helps.

regards

Nicci
Thanks for the update Nicci, but just to avoid my confusion, when you say "each year upon renewal", does this mean that in effect we have a rolling GGL year end for the purposes of the partner card benefit accrual, which will not be awarded until we reach 3000 TP's each membership year?

I know you say in your response that this applies to "the first time you earn 3000 TP's after qualification" i.e. renewed GGL, but in subsequent years do you mean at the end of membership year instead of 'renewal'?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I just wanted to understand the differentiation between renewal and membership year end benefits roll over.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I read it as, for example:

Membership year 9 July 2013 - 8 July 2014.

GGL reached for first time 1 March 2014

GGL valid 1 March 2014 - 8 July 2015

Partner cards issued 1 March 2014

From 9 July 2014, 0 TPs

3000 TPs reached by, say, 15 April 2015.

Another set of partner cards given on 15 April 2015.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
I read it as, for example:

Membership year 9 July 2013 - 8 July 2014.

GGL reached for first time 1 March 2014

GGL valid 1 March 2014 - 8 July 2015

Partner cards issued 1 March 2014

From 9 July 2014, 0 TPs

3000 TPs reached by, say, 15 April 2015.

Another set of partner cards given on 15 April 2015.
Thanks BA6501, that how I read Nicci's response too, that the partner cards will be granted each year upon reaching 3000 TP's. This seems to contradict the email response that oxtailsoup received from the GGL team, which indicated that new cards could not be gifted until the start of the next membership year (assuming that you had requalified for GGL).

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Emailed the GGL team and received this reply:-

Thank you for your email.
As you qualified for Gold Guest List part way through your tracking year in Sept' 13 you were able to nominate your partner cards at that point.

Your Gold Guest List status will remain from your Mar tracking for 12 months but you will not be able to nominate further partner cards until after 08 Mar'15 so long as you attain Gold Guest List tier status for the following year.
(my bolding)

I guess Nicci's response here is more authoritative than the email from GGL, but I guess I will have to wait until I either reach 3000 TP's later this year or the start of my next membership year on 9 March 2015.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:28 pm

.... And if true it means that they are not aligning the GGL membership year with the BAEC year which is a mistake in terms of simplification.

Not to mention the t&c's are incorrect and thus misleading. Bit of a mess really.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Work2Travel333
Thanks for the update Nicci, but just to avoid my confusion, when you say "each year upon renewal", does this mean that in effect we have a rolling GGL year end for the purposes of the partner card benefit accrual, which will not be awarded until we reach 3000 TP's each membership year?

I know you say in your response that this applies to "the first time you earn 3000 TP's after qualification" i.e. renewed GGL, but in subsequent years do you mean at the end of membership year instead of 'renewal'?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I just wanted to understand the differentiation between renewal and membership year end benefits roll over.

Many thanks.
This is confusing.

My wife and I have 2 gold and 2 silver referrals left for this year. Does this mean we need to use them before we hit 3k TPs again or we lose last years referrals?

The logical assumption would be that you get more referrals at the start of any new membership year after earning 3k TPs except if you are newly GGL after qualifying part way through your previous membership year. Is this correct?

I think it is fair though that attaining GGL in a single year doesn't give 2 years of referrals. It would just be good to clarify the process here a little.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'm reading this as having following 3 possibilities:

Edited with an update - the post by Nicci below confirms it is Interpretation B.

Interpretation A

- You earn your referrals for 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver when you initially qualify for GGL.

- Referrals are earned immediately upon subsequently reaching 3000 TPs in a subsequent single membership year, as long as you remain a GGL (i.e. you do not drop below and end up needing to requalify with 5000 TPs in a year or 2 consecutive years of 3000 TPs or more).

i.e.

You initially qualify for GGL on 5 May 2014. You get 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals at that point.

On your membership renewal date on 9 June 2014 (i.e. the first new membership year after initially qualifying for GGL), you DO NO get any more referrals.

Sometime between 9 June 2014 and 8 June 2015 (your first full membership year after you initially qualified for GGL), you earn enough TPs to renew your GGL. As soon as you reach or exceed 3000 TPs during that membership year, you get another set of 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals.

Again, sometime between sometime between 9 June 2015 and 8 June 2016 (i.e. your second full membership year after you initially qualified for GGL), you earn at least 3000 TPs to renew your GGL, and as soon as you earn TPs in excess of 3000 during that membership year, you get another set of 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals.

etc etc.

Interpretation B

- You get the Gold/Silver referrals when you initially qualify for GGL.

- When your new BAEC membership year starts after your initial GGL qualification, you will not get any Gold/Silver referrals.

- If you have earned enough to renew your GGL during your new membership year, you will get further referrals when your subsequent membership year starts. i.e. the issuance of referrals are linked to the membership year except for the initial qualification.

For example, how I think it translates to is as follows:

Your membership year runs from 9 June to 8 June.

You initially qualify for GGL on 5 May 2014. You get 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals at that point.

On your membership renewal date on 9 June 2014 (i.e. the first new membership year after initially qualifying for GGL), you DO NO get any more referrals.

Sometime between 9 June 2014 and 8 June 2015, you earn enough TPs and renew your GGL.

On 9 June 2015 (i.e. the beginning of your second new membership year after initially qualifying for GGL), you get 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals, because you requalified for GGL during your membership year that runs from 9 June 2014 to 8 June 2015.

Sometime between 9 June 2015 and 8 June 2016, you earn enough TPs and renew your GGL again.

On 9 June 2016 (i.e. the beginning of your third new membership year after initially qualifying for GGL), you get 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals, because you requalified for GGL during your membership year that runs from 9 June 2015 to 8 June 2016.

etc etc.

Interpretation C

Another of my alternative interpretations is that referrals are earned immediately upon subsequently reaching 3000 TPs in a subsequent single membership year, as long as you remain a GGL (i.e. you do not drop below and you need to requalify with 5000 TPs in a year or 2 consecutive years of 3000 TPs or more). However, after that, it will be awarded on the membership renewal date.

i.e.

Sometime between 9 June 2014 and 8 June 2015 (your first full membership year after you initially qualified for GGL), you earn enough TPs and renew your GGL. At the point when you reached or exceeded 3000 TPs during that membership year, you get another set of 1 x Gold and 2 x Silver referrals.

After that, sometime between sometime between 9 June 2015 and 8 June 2016 (i.e. your second full membership year after you initially qualified for GGL), you earn enough TPs and renew your GGL again. However, you will not get the referrals as soon as you reach or exceed 3000 TPs, but rather, you will get them on 9 June 2016 when your new membership year starts.

etc etc.

I am not sure which version is correct, but either way it will prevent a bizarre situation of having 2 x Gold referrals and 4 x Silver referrals when someone initially qualifies for GGL.

It would be great if Nicci could confirm or correct the interpretations above.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 17, 2014 at 7:01 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:31 am

LTN, I think it's A. But this is a definite change from the t&c's

I thought the t&c's (8.4) were perfectly clear. I also admit that the rule was generous but it did set the expectation. To now change the t&c's afterwards is a shame especially as it appears the way forward is to have two different membership milestones, something that has caused confusion in the past with both members and the GGL team. The assumption was BA were moving away from that scenario and aligning with just the BAEC anniversary.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:51 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi all

Apologies if I created more confusion than I intended. LTN Phobia's scenario B is the right one.

Basically, when you enter GGL for the first time you will earn the partner cards benefit. You will received your next allocation in the first Membership year that you earn 3000 Tier Points to renew i.e. not at the end of the year you earned GGL but at the end of the following year.

Members who are already GGL Members and who have renewed after completing a whole Membership year from start to finish can nominate their new allocation from the start of the year they renew ie they will have earned the 3000 TPs to renew.

Members who do not earn 3000 Tier Points will not be able to nominate any new partner cards and their current nominees will keep them until the end of their Membership year.

We will only be awarding partner cards in these scenarios. The Ts&Cs have not changed - we updated them to try and make this clearer so we will be not be awarding partner cards unless you meet the criteria detail

Warm regards

Nicci
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thanks Nicci, that makes perfect sense and confirms how I understood the benefit to work since the GGL membership year aligned with the Membership Year.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thanks very much for the clarification, Nicci.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Say a membership year is 9 July 2013 - 8 July 2014.

Member reaches GGL for first time on 1 March 2014. 2x Silver, 1x Gold Partner Cards.

1 Silver and 1 Gold Partner Card allocated, 1 Silver unallocated as of yet.

Does that Silver Partner Card have to be given before 8 July 2014 or 8 July 2015?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.