Search

GGL partner card rules question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:56 am
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
GGL partner card rules question

Having just noticed the new improved partner card rules (which are fantastic!), I have a question regarding nominees.

Is it for your membership year, or GGL year?

I nominated a friend for Gold back in November 2012, after attaining GGL a few months previously. My membership year renewed in May. I've only just renewed GGL this year.

It now appears I can nominate three new individuals, but I can't figure out:

a) how long their memberships will last

b) when I can nominate next if I do it now

Help with the above two questions would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Gaz
Having just noticed the new improved partner card rules (which are fantastic!), I have a question regarding nominees.

Is it for your membership year, or GGL year?

I nominated a friend for Gold back in November 2012, after attaining GGL a few months previously. My membership year renewed in May. I've only just renewed GGL this year.
If your membership year is to May, do you mean that you have reached 3,000 TPs again? I assume you have been GGL since mid-2012? If you have reached 3,000 TPs again then you will now be GGL till May 2015

Originally Posted by Gaz
It now appears I can nominate three new individuals, but I can't figure out:

(edit... my original answer was incorrect. A membership at the "gifted" level will last for a year and a new membership year will start for the recipient)

Originally Posted by Gaz
b) when I can nominate next if I do it now
At your next GGL renewal in May 2014

Originally Posted by Gaz
Help with the above two questions would be much appreciated.
Hope that helps

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Dec 17, 2013 at 2:50 am
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaz
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
These will last for the recipient's current membership year and their next year
Not according to the new T&Cs published on ba.com under the Gold Guest List benefits section.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits

Originally Posted by ba.com
8.9. Nominees with existing Executive Club membership will commence a new membership year as a Member at the time of issue by British Airways of the new Silver/Gold Partner Card. All current Avios Points will be transferred to the new membership and any existing Executive Club Tier Points will expire other than as Lifetime Tier Points.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Moomba
Not according to the new T&Cs published on ba.com under the Gold Guest List benefits section.

Hmmmm.. thanks for that - this is new then (as you say!). I guess it stops the 23-month membership loophole...
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Hmmmm.. thanks for that - this is new then (as you say!). I guess it stops the 23-month membership loophole...
Just remember to nominate on 9th for 13 months I suppose (processing time allowing)
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
So the next time someone asks if there is a way to change their membership reset date, the answer will be to get a partner card from a GGL?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Falcs
So the next time someone asks if there is a way to change their membership reset date, the answer will be to get a partner card from a GGL?
That's an interesting point... will keep a note of this!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Moomba

I am in no way trying to be argumentative, but does Rule 8.6 contradict 8.9?

"8.9 Nominees with existing Executive Club membership will commence a new membership year as a Member at the time of issue by British Airways of the new Silver/Gold Partner Card. All current Avios Points will be transferred to the new membership and any existing Executive Club Tier Points will expire other than as Lifetime Tier Points."

vs

"8.6. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. The discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee **and last for the remainder of the nominating Member’s membership year, followed by a 12 month period in conjunction with the nominating Member’s membership year**."
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Reading the 8.9, i am wondering if the recipient's membership number changes when I gift a status? I know it did not in the past but 8.9 refers to "new membership", so I am just wondering.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Reading the 8.9, i am wondering if the recipient's membership number changes when I gift a status? I know it did not in the past but 8.9 refers to "new membership", so I am just wondering.
Well some here must have seen there accounts upgrade by now. What has happened? I will check the dates for a couple of silvers I had Mrs LoM refer.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:14 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Should anyone wish to send me a Gold Partner Card I will happily report back as to how the dates and membership numbers work/show.

Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Well my correspondents had a year end of June 2014 and had just gone to June 2015 as Silver.

So it seems to be following the normal upgrade pattern. I guess the proof of the pudding is what happens 12 months hence.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
So it seems to be following the normal upgrade pattern.
Good to know. Waiting for the OH's to co through/be approved and can then confirm also.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Well my correspondents had a year end of June 2014 and had just gone to June 2015 as Silver.

So it seems to be following the normal upgrade pattern. I guess the proof of the pudding is what happens 12 months hence.
Thanks very much.

I was hoping that it will follow the normal membership upgrade pattern rather than synchronising the membership year to the time of membership being gifted, because the intended recipient wants to keep the membership year in synch with her partner if she can. Of course I can get around that by gifting it at the right time but that means delaying gifting it.

I'm sort of surprised that I didn't get more data points for this, considering the number of GGLs here?

Haven't people assigned the card to their family members etc yet?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
The nominees BAEC number does not change, the status upgrade is shockingly fast for the nominated members - about 5 minutes.. Happy Holidays.:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.