Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL partner card rules question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Peter M
The nominees BAEC number does not change, the status upgrade is shockingly fast for the nominated members - about 5 minutes.. Happy Holidays.:-:
I agree that for the Silver partner card it was fairly instantaneous however for the OH's Gold partner card she has been waiting a little over a week - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tner-card.html

Slightly OT: I understand that the Gold card is a manual input, why is this not the case for Silver?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:06 pm
Gaz
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Many thanks!

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
If your membership year is to May, do you mean that you have reached 3,000 TPs again?
Yes, I have done 3500 TPs since May 2013, but I thought I needed 4500 TPs (or was it 5000) for the partner card now?

Last year I did about 7000 in total so I easily qualified.

This membership year I should reach 5000 TPs again but probably not until April or so.

I assume you have been GGL since mid-2012?
I first made GGL in mid 2012 yep.

If you have reached 3,000 TPs again then you will now be GGL till May 2015
But don't the GGL year and the membership year have different start dates? Maybe this is where my information was wrong!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arh1
I agree that for the Silver partner card it was fairly instantaneous however for the OH's Gold partner card she has been waiting a little over a week - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tner-card.html

Slightly OT: I understand that the Gold card is a manual input, why is this not the case for Silver?
Under the new or the old process?

Under the old process (4.5k TP referral) it took typically 2 days. I thought the new process (all GGL referrals since mid Dec 2013) was fully automated for Silver and Gold?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaz
Many thanks!

Yes, I have done 3500 TPs since May 2013, but I thought I needed 4500 TPs (or was it 5000) for the partner card now?

Last year I did about 7000 in total so I easily qualified.

This membership year I should reach 5000 TPs again but probably not until April or so.

I first made GGL in mid 2012 yep.

But don't the GGL year and the membership year have different start dates? Maybe this is where my information was wrong!
All GGLs can now refer 3 individuals, no need to earn 4.5k TP (the switchover to this new benefit may depend on your membership year end).

The GGL year now aligns with the membership year.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
All my nominees status upgrades occurred within 5 minutes, gold and silver, using the online process.. I thought this would be enough instead of giving real holiday gifts, but I guess it takes a Flyertalker to recognize the real value of FF status, so I still have to do shopping.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thanks very much.

I was hoping that it will follow the normal membership upgrade pattern rather than synchronising the membership year to the time of membership being gifted, because the intended recipient wants to keep the membership year in synch with her partner if she can. Of course I can get around that by gifting it at the right time but that means delaying gifting it.

I'm sort of surprised that I didn't get more data points for this, considering the number of GGLs here?

Haven't people assigned the card to their family members etc yet?
Thanks.

I have not got around to gifting my cards yet. I wanted to read all the small print although the recent threads have been useful. Have some time away over NY, so will sort out then.

A quick question - my year ends on 9 February - so not far away.

Is it worth gifting now or leave until February? The likely recipients are not travelling until after then, so not an issue for that reason.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Can one say no to a partner gold card? Imagine a situation where someone is 10 TP away from GGL themselves and someone decides to nominate them for a partner gold card... If I read the T&C correctly, their TPs would then reset if they can't opt out.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agehall
Can one say no to a partner gold card? Imagine a situation where someone is 10 TP away from GGL themselves and someone decides to nominate them for a partner gold card... If I read the T&C correctly, their TPs would then reset if they can't opt out.
Who said TPs are reset?

Your earnings continue for the membership year you are in.

Also it would be impossible to upgrade someone to Gold who was only 10TP away from GGL. To hit GGL you need a minimum 3k TP's a year over 2 years (until the Eurocheat rules wind down early next year).

To be anywhere close to GGL you would already need to be Gold and thus unable to have your membership upgraded in this way. I don't think you can refuse because of how things are set up but I can see no reason why anyone would want to.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks.

I have not got around to gifting my cards yet. I wanted to read all the small print although the recent threads have been useful. Have some time away over NY, so will sort out then.

A quick question - my year ends on 9 February - so not far away.

Is it worth gifting now or leave until February? The likely recipients are not travelling until after then, so not an issue for that reason.

Thanks.
You get another referral cycle in your new membership year as I read things so best to use your current allocation before the end of your membership year.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by Moomba
Not according to the new T&Cs published on ba.com under the Gold Guest List benefits section.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-list-benefits
However, this contradicts the F&Q that are linked in one's GGL-account:

Q. If I nominate an existing Executive Club Member to receive a Gold or Silver Executive Club partner card - how long will their tier status be valid for?
A. When you successfully nominate an individual who is already a Member of the Executive Club, their account will be updated immediately and their new tier status will remain valid for the remainder of their current membership year, and the full membership year following.

Seems quite clear to me that it follows the usual account upgrade routine and this is also the information I got from the GGL team.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
However, this contradicts the F&Q that are linked in one's GGL-account:

Q. If I nominate an existing Executive Club Member to receive a Gold or Silver Executive Club partner card - how long will their tier status be valid for?
A. When you successfully nominate an individual who is already a Member of the Executive Club, their account will be updated immediately and their new tier status will remain valid for the remainder of their current membership year, and the full membership year following.

Seems quite clear to me that it follows the usual account upgrade routine and this is also the information I got from the GGL team.
Seems quite clear to me that BA.com is full of bollox information that misleads its customers. But then again it has always been this way. They would rather spend their IT dime make it prettier than actually provide factual information.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by Moomba
Seems quite clear to me that BA.com is full of bollox information that misleads its customers. But then again it has always been this way. They would rather spend their IT dime make it prettier than actually provide factual information.
LOL - Quite true...
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Thanks very much.

I was hoping that it will follow the normal membership upgrade pattern rather than synchronising the membership year to the time of membership being gifted, because the intended recipient wants to keep the membership year in synch with her partner if she can. Of course I can get around that by gifting it at the right time but that means delaying gifting it.

I'm sort of surprised that I didn't get more data points for this, considering the number of GGLs here?

Haven't people assigned the card to their family members etc yet?
I gifted the Gold partner card to my son, who was already a Silver on 770 TPs, with an 8 March renewal date.

His renewal date has remained the same (8 March 2014), and his Gold card has an expiry date of 30 April 2014, with the note that he needs a further 730 TPs to remain Gold. If it was following the normal upgrade pattern, his Gold card expiry date would have set as 30 April 2015.

So, unless the Gold status is automatically rolled over for a further year, or unless his membership is re-aligned (it hasn't been yet), his Gold card will only have a 4 month term, unless I re-nominate him next year when my membership/GGL year renews.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
So, unless the Gold status is automatically rolled over for a further year, or unless his membership is re-aligned (it hasn't been yet), his Gold card will only have a 4 month term, unless I re-nominate him next year when my membership/GGL year renews.
Has this happened in the last day or two? If so I wonder if it is worth waiting a few more days to see if this is confirmed? It would be a change to the previous process (and is kind of hinted at in the terms and conditions).
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Has this happened in the last day or two? If so I wonder if it is worth waiting a few more days to see if this is confirmed? It would be a change to the previous process (and is kind of hinted at in the terms and conditions).
About a week ago.

Actually the T&Cs seems to state that his membership year should be realigned with my membership year, and that the Gold Partner card should remain valid for the remainder of his (and my) membership year (which are different) and then through to the end of my next membership year.

8.6. On receipt of a satisfactory application form British Airways shall at its discretion issue to the Nominee a discretionary Silver/Gold Partner Card which will be valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date of issue. The discretionary British Airways Silver/Gold card period shall begin from the date of acceptance by British Airways of the Nominee and last for the remainder of the nominating Member’s membership year, followed by a 12 month period in conjunction with the nominating Member’s membership year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.