Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amber Weather Warning: High Winds London and South East Sun 27 & Mon 28 Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA.com is currently advising:

27 October 213 at 23:23 GMT

London Heathrow
We have complied with a request from Heathrow Airport to reduce our flying schedule on Monday 28 October as a result of the severe forecast storms.

The airport has instructed all airlines using Heathrow to reduce their schedules in the following manner on Monday:
Between 0600 and 1100 a 20 per cent reduction in the schedule has been applied
Between 1100 and 1600 a 10 per cent reduction in the schedule has been applied
Between 1600 and 2230 a 5 per cent reduction in the schedule has been applied
All of the agreed cancellations are for our European and domestic flights at Heathrow, and these have been published.

All our long-haul flights into and out of London Heathrow are currently planned to operate as normal.

London Gatwick and London City
We currently plan to operate all flights to and from London Gatwick and London City airports as normal.
Print Wikipost

Amber Weather Warning: High Winds London and South East Sun 27 & Mon 28 Oct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by evanderm
Still sounds fishy given the situation but I'd say jump on it to be assured the seat then claim a refund later. Only do that if you're willing and able to part with the money if they don't give the refund.

Do you have travel insurance with trip interruption coverage? Or did you use a credit card that has coverage?
+1. If you can spare the money for the time being, I would pay now and dispute later.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by offtheglass
Quote:

I'm on the phone with AA again and they said to waive the change, but I'm responsible for any fare difference. Does it sound about right?
No - the AA waiver says that original inventory is not required. So the agent is authorised to rebook you in a higher fare class in the same cabin of travel without charging you for the difference.

Taxes are a different story. If your original stopover in LHR was less than 24 hours and you have now moved your MAA departure past that, it seems correct that you would then be liable for Air Passenger Duty (which is not charged on stopovers less than 24 hours).
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Updated info as of 2 a.m. in London

Travel Warnings, Cancellations, Delays for Heathrow, Schiphol As Storm Barrels Towards Britain

The hurricane-force storm barreling towards Britain is expected to make landfall during rush hour Monday morning, according to the Met Office, the U.K.s official weather forecasting agency. Meanwhile, storms with heavy winds are expected to hit parts of the Netherlands around the same time, the Dutch Meteorological Institute said. The storm will hit Wales and South West England first.

Forecasters were warning that the storm, dubbed St. Jude after the patron saint of lost causes whose feast day is Monday, will disrupt road, rail, and airport networks when it strikes. It is already being compared to a 1987 storm that killed 18 people in Britain and felled over 15 million trees....

<SNIP>
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Landed on BA12 about 05:00 - all seems to be fine at LHR at the
moment
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:19 am

Winds 220 at 22 gust 38. Not (yet) the height of things as forecast. within the next two hours winds expected to become 32 gusting 55 and shift to 270.

http://www.wunderground.com/Aviation/?query=EGLL
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Looks like everything circling at the moment nothing on approach at the moment according to flight radar
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by gallagher
Landed on BA12 about 05:00 - all seems to be fine at LHR at the
moment
Seeing some landings now not sure about departures.

Last edited by stockmanjr; Oct 28, 2013 at 1:18 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:54 am

Still at LHR as underground not running as trees fallen onto track - been stuck for 25 minutes so far

2 trees fallen onto Underground track we are told - no LU service from T5 at the monent.

Now on HEX from T5 which is running fine at the moment.

Last edited by gallagher; Oct 28, 2013 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CrabAir Blue
Going round!

Much better now at LHR than it was 20 mins ago. it was gusting 55 knots and we had an Air Canada a Brunei and a Speedbird all go around in quick succession. Now gusting 'only' 37 kts. Wind shear widely reported too.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:31 am

LU reporting no service between Northfields and LHR
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:33 am

From the Beeb's live coverage:

0730:

BBC Weather list the top 6 gusts at 07:00 GMT: Odiham, Hampshire, 78mph; Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, 77mph; Langdon Bay, Kent, 70mph; Heathrow, 70mph; Northolt, London, 68mph; Kenley, London, 68mph.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CrabAir Blue
Don't know where the BBC got that 70mph gust from but that's not what the tower's been saying. Worst heard here sunce 0530 was 55 knots but was only 37 at 0730.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:45 am

Flight was still listed as going ahead so here I am at LCY hoping to get home to Scotland so i can make smug comments about it having better weather than the south. The preceding EDI service got cancelled just as I cleared security, for which they were originally listing a one hour delay. I'd rather they just keep pushing back through the morning until its possible to fly but I suppose that's a logistical nightmare. Wish me luck- no lounge to loiter in!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:48 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
BA twitter feed reporting that connector from M25 to T5 is currently obstructed.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by airmanofthequeen
Don't know where the BBC got that 70mph gust from but that's not what the tower's been saying. Worst heard here sunce 0530 was 55 knots but was only 37 at 0730.
Well 55 knots is 63 mph and if the BBC is rounding up... (It's scaremongering by the BBC, probably.)

The reality appears to be that the wind around LHR is calming down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.