Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amber Weather Warning: High Winds London and South East Sun 27 & Mon 28 Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BA.com is currently advising:

27 October 213 at 23:23 GMT

London Heathrow
We have complied with a request from Heathrow Airport to reduce our flying schedule on Monday 28 October as a result of the severe forecast storms.

The airport has instructed all airlines using Heathrow to reduce their schedules in the following manner on Monday:
Between 0600 and 1100 a 20 per cent reduction in the schedule has been applied
Between 1100 and 1600 a 10 per cent reduction in the schedule has been applied
Between 1600 and 2230 a 5 per cent reduction in the schedule has been applied
All of the agreed cancellations are for our European and domestic flights at Heathrow, and these have been published.

All our long-haul flights into and out of London Heathrow are currently planned to operate as normal.

London Gatwick and London City
We currently plan to operate all flights to and from London Gatwick and London City airports as normal.
Print Wikipost

Amber Weather Warning: High Winds London and South East Sun 27 & Mon 28 Oct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
I am meant to be going to Europe Monday morning, checked the seat map and Expertflyer and the flight is practically zeroed out, out of curiosity checked some other destinations and Paris and Amsterdam are also zeroed for the first flights. I know Monday morning they might all be full, but I wonder if sales have stopped to minimise losses if there are mass cancellations?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by IThink
I am meant to be going to Europe Monday morning, checked the seat map and Expertflyer and the flight is practically zeroed out, out of curiosity checked some other destinations and Paris and Amsterdam are also zeroed for the first flights. I know Monday morning they might all be full, but I wonder if sales have stopped to minimise losses if there are mass cancellations?
BA306 (the first LHR-CDG) is showing J1 (all others zero)

BA902 (the first LHR-FRA) is J9 C9 I9 Y9 B9 S9 G9

BA430 (the first LHR-AMS) is, err, "full"

BA948 (the first LHR-MUC) is also "full"
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Getting more serious now as far as public transport goes down here ........

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24683283

cs
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:10 pm

How bad does the weather have to be for the tube and the HEX to be disrupted? What's the best alternative if they are--taxi?

I'm due to fly to CAI on Monday afternoon and am trying to think of a backup plan to get there by Tuesday some time if BA 155 is cancelled . . . .
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:14 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Glad I'm heading up to GLA tonight instead of tomorrow night. SE can't cope with weather of any sort.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by prof
How bad does the weather have to be for the tube and the HEX to be disrupted? What's the best alternative if they are--taxi?
Well I think we do actually enjoy going into panic mode sometimes, but then Mr. Fish told us no hurricane was on the way. One thing to bear in mind is that there are a few other ways of getting to LHR if both HEX and Piccadilly get done in. E.g take a train out of Waterloo to Feltham and bus / cab it (this can be incredibly quick, incidentally). Train to Kingston upon Thames or Teddington, again there are bus and cab options from there. Woking and Windsor too, at a pinch. So allowing extra time and having a fully charged gizmo with some useful bookmarks would be my advice.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:20 pm
uk1
Suspended

Spare a thought for some of us non-travellers ....

In the 1987 storms 5 substantial trees were planted on our house and damaged us substantially. I even had the horrible task of telling a neighbour one of our trees and landed through his roof and into his bedroom.

We are dreading this ....
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The roof of our old house never fully recovered from 1987. Hopefully the new one is more solid. And our trees are stronger than the very large one our neighbours lost that time
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:31 pm
uk1
Suspended

I share your fears ....

Our trees are on a steep bank alongside the westerly side of our house, and takes the full brunt of the wind. The base of the trees are at the top of the house so by the time they come down they intend damage. In a conservation area with all trees "protected".

I am dreading it ....
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well I think we do actually enjoy going into panic mode sometimes, but then Mr. Fish told us no hurricane was on the way. One thing to bear in mind is that there are a few other ways of getting to LHR if both HEX and Piccadilly get done in. E.g take a train out of Waterloo to Feltham and bus / cab it (this can be incredibly quick, incidentally). Train to Kingston upon Thames or Teddington, again there are bus and cab options from there. Woking and Windsor too, at a pinch. So allowing extra time and having a fully charged gizmo with some useful bookmarks would be my advice.
Thanks c-w-s. I assume though that if the Piccadilly line and hex are out of commission then other trains would probably be as well?

I hope the storm turns out to be a tempest in the proverbial teacup, at least for LHR!
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
but then Mr. Fish told us no hurricane was on the way.
And Mr Fish was correct as meteorlogically speaking it wasn't a hurricane as it was outside the defined parameters for one. It was an extratropical cyclone.

The storm wasn't even generated from the remnants of an actual hurricane but by temperature differences in the Bay of Biscay.

He did say (and this often gets cut off the replays) that there would very strong winds.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by uk1
I share your fears ....

Our trees are on a steep bank alongside the westerly side of our house, and takes the full brunt of the wind. The base of the trees are at the top of the house so by the time they come down they intend damage. In a conservation area with all trees "protected".

I am dreading it ....
Our trees are, thankfully, at the bottom end of the garden - the worst damage they can do is squashing the shed. We had the tree surgeons round earlier in the year and hopefully they took out all the weak stuff. So your situation sounds far more worrying - good luck.

Anyone else spend part of this afternoon stowing away all the loose stuff in their garden?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I assume it would blown over by Tuesday :-) as I'm flying to GCM.

Doesn't make my commute to London well though, it's the perfect excuse for FGW to be late. Though my bicycle ride will be a challenge in Central London on Monday.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by prof

I'm due to fly to CAI on Monday afternoon and am trying to think of a backup plan to get there by Tuesday some time if BA 155 is cancelled . . . .
There are a lot of plans already being put in place to prepare for the weather. Flooding or trees on the line are likely to be the two causes of disruption if there is any.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
East Coast have already issued a revised service for Monday - reduced speeds south of York and the service thinned out.

SouthEastern have said that it's possible they may not be able to start operating service until 9 or 10am on Monday - no doubt safeguarding against fallen trees.

Southern (for those heading for Gatwick) will publish more info on Sunday afternoon about any proactive measures they will be taking.

United have issued a travel waiver this evening - change fees will be waived.

BA haven't updated their advisory since yesterday afternoon, Virgin, EZY, et al, haven't announced waivers yet either.

Slightly surprised to see that BA aren't trying to head this one off by issuing a waiver as yet, or maybe they just thrive on the chaos of hoardes of displaced folks wrapped in baco-foil blankets?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.