Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two-year old denied boarding (and parents are not)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SteveF
Surely if you were aware that it was illegal (if indeed it is illegal rather than a BA rule) and yet still went along with it then you became an accessory. Personally I'd just forget about it now.
I kind of agree. For safety reasons at some point a child needs to be strapped in. That point is deemed to be from their year 2 birthday, which is arbitrary but there's no realistic alternative.

The safety of the child is primarily the parent's responsibility, the airline also has responsibility for that child and all the other passengers that may also get injured if the child becomes detached. So this responsibility is shared, except rightly or wrongly you knew more about this than the airline. Personally I don't think you should have got on the aircraft knowing this; if you did then you still should have cleared it with the captain, which s/he would not have done - s/he would have offloaded you or someone else. Having made the trip and accepted the risks I now think you best put it down to experience, it won't happen again to that child.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Why don't you put a note in to customer services saying you were disappointed that despite having a ticket for a seat your 2 year old was forced to sit on your lap.
They can then take action if they see fit.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Why don't you put a note in to customer services saying you were disappointed that despite having a ticket for a seat your 2 year old was forced to sit on your lap.
Good answer!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Could always add in the "I've since discovered/been led to believe..." bits from here
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Originally Posted by SteveF
Good answer!
Although 2 years is an arbitrary limit, so are many in aviation and it is compliance with regulations and SOPs that maintain a safe environment.

There is little point having a carefully regulated safety regime, if a handling agent decides it does not apply to them, if it is inconvenient.

The CAA safety regulation group needs to be aware of this incident, so that they can discuss it with BA, hopefully they scan the forum.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't think that there is any valid reason to complain

The person knew that there could well be an issue and people here suggested making sure with crew that there is no issue with a 2 yo without a seat

Passenger then deliberately chose to keep quiet about it ( rather than risk being offloaded I assume )

To then write in and complain that they got away with it seems incredible. If it is a safety risk, the parents delberately chose to flout it and keep quiet

I suppose the next question will be on how much compensation can get for not being denied boarding
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think that there is any valid reason to complain

The person knew that there could well be an issue and people here suggested making sure with crew that there is no issue with a 2 yo without a seat

Passenger then deliberately chose to keep quiet about it ( rather than risk being offloaded I assume )

To then write in and complain that they got away with it seems incredible
It's not as if OP is going to be blackballed by BA for not raising with cabin crew, and incompetent agents need to be flagged for training somehow. How many other rules is the agent not following and exposing BA to liability for?

Though, is it covered in the safety briefing in an explicit manner? I can imagine BA might be unhappy if you were sitting in an exit row, were told to read the safety card for the exit row seat and didn't alert crew as you're obliged to if you didn't meet the criteria
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:48 am

I'd complain, in spades!!

The fact it is being discussed on a forum is irrelevant. I had a ticket for my child due to your (very clear) infant policy, i was instructed by a member of staff to get on the plane with that child on my lap, or else it was implied that we would not be flying. I have since been advised that this is not correct proceedure, and i'm absolutely horrified that this was allowed.

I can understand that the OP got on and kept quiet, i would've done the same to get home, but a complaint in my opinion is a must. If they do this to me on my upcoming trip, i'll be horrified.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:54 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by angatol
You can be horrified and complain and not fly, fair enough. But if you choose to fly, and then pretend to be horrified, that's just a joke. There is no meaningful difference between a 1.99 year old and 2.01 year old. BA broke their rules. Either accept them being broken or don't allow it to happen. You can't have your cake and eat it.
Yes I can. I was told to fly. I had no idea that it was illegal. Oh, and i'm not the OP by the way, i'm just putting myself in that position. Guess i'm just immoral.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by dannyrado
I can understand that the OP got on and kept quiet, i would've done the same to get home, but a complaint in my opinion is a must. If they do this to me on my upcoming trip, i'll be horrified.
You can't have your cake and eat it

Either you are horrified and should not keep quiet or you don't care
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:20 am

I'd definitely complain to BA, as if nothing else it's probable that many similar foul-ups are being covered up by telling pax to put over 2 year olds on a lap because seats have not been made available. We were given same the same (nil) option by BA staff at BKK and my wife & child were given boarding passes (child's stating no seat even though 2 yrs 5 months old) & sent to the gate while I sorted out the release of the extra seat previously agreed/booked/PNR issued with BA by calling res in the UK (with zero help from local staff).

I wouldn't worry about your own response to the situation - it's not for the passenger to know whether the requirement for a 2 year old to have a seat is BA's own policy being waived by their own staff or if it's part of some wider aviation law. In any event, you are due an apology and/or compensation - you paid the fare required by BA for your declared situation (infant becoming 2 while away) and were thereby entitled under BA's fare rules as quoted above (whether unusually generous or not is irrelevant) to a seat for the child on the return. I imagine that BA will wish to resolve the matter quietly without the relevant authorities getting involved!

I would still be interested to know whether this was an oversales offload (I find it difficult to believe that anyone would do this to a child) or if your child's separate return PNR & booking had been cancelled due to a BA ticketing error as experienced by at least two of the posters on this thread?

Last edited by Bullswood; Sep 22, 2013 at 4:25 am
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood

I wouldn't worry about your own response to the situation - it's not for the passenger to know whether the requirement for a 2 year old to have a seat is BA's own policy being waived by their own staff or if it's part of some wider aviation law. In any event, you are due an apology and/or compensation - you paid the fare required by BA for your declared situation (infant becoming 2 while away) and were thereby entitled under BA's fare rules as quoted above (whether unusually generous or not is irrelevant) to a seat for the child on the return. I imagine that BA will wish to resolve the matter quietly without the relevant authorities getting involved!
Indeed it isn't the parent's responsibility to know the requirements, however if that person then goes off , posts on a forum and gets advice, then cannot reasonable claim not to know at that point. Then to deliberately not to inform crew when knowing that there may be a safety issue and then to complain when getting home seems rather poor show to me
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:28 am

Maybe we should say "notify" instead of "complain"?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bullswood
it's not for the passenger to know whether the requirement for a 2 year old to have a seat is BA's own policy being waived by their own staff or if it's part of some wider aviation law.
Doesn't a modicum of commonsense creep in at some point? This is less about the law (though it strikes me as a good one if it is a legal requirement), and a lot about the welfare of one, maybe many, passengers. The people who have a valid complaint are those sat near to the Original Poster. And the airline crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.