Search

Your guide to Household Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by neuromancer
No, you need to log in as the member to see his transactions.
Given that this feature is meant primarily to group a wife and kids miles into the account, that seems like a flaw. Obviously I have to manage the kids accounts myself, and I think in most cases the traveler will manage the spouses account too. Again I can see the total miles and easily subtract my total to see what the others have contributed, but I can't verify if the correct amounts have been credited unless I log one by one into each account. I think they should give us this feature for household and leave it the way it is for friends and family, etc. That way, anyone who wants to keep their account secret can just avoid being in the household group.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Reading the first post, I understand I could set up a household account consisting of me and a minor.
The minor would then be able to earn status based on his/her own flying, and I assume the minor in this case will receive a BAEC card with that status on and (in most cases) be treated like any other status member. Great, that is what I'm looking for.

My question is regarding the activity requirement. If the head of the household does not show any activity but the minor has flight activity and holds status, the household account would still be kept active, correct?

Would there be some kind of deadlock in this case? The head won't be allowed to redeem because lack of activity and the minor won't be allowed either based on the rule that minors may not redeem. Would that be a problem, or can the minor just keep crediting flights to the HHA and when/if there is a need to redeem, the head needs to add some activity at that point?

Last edited by intuition; Sep 7, 2015 at 1:55 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Yes, all of the accounts are kept active, but only if one of them is at least Gold.
There is no such rule, that you can redeem only if your account is active, I think. It applies to Combine My Avios and eligibility for RFS, so if you need them you can add some activity.

Last edited by neuromancer; Sep 7, 2015 at 5:30 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:42 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, you need to be gold?

Theses quotes of OP seems to indicate that
* silver would suffice (no need for the head to be that active silver)
* if head of account has no activity in 12m and all other members are minors, then no one will be able to redeem at all.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Keeping Avios alive!
If a Blue or Bronze member has had no activity in 36 consecutive months but they are part of an HHA which has a Gold or Silver member their Avios will be protected as long as there is an active Gold or Silver in the HHA.

Remember also, if you are a HHA member without any transactions in the last 12 months to your name you will be unable to book a Reward Flight Saver ticket for yourself. One of the active members in your household would have to book it on your behalf or you would need to earn an Avios to book for yourself.

Note: Members of the HHA who are under 18 cannot redeem Avios for tickets for themselves.
Do I read this incorrectly or has somethings changed since posting or...?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by neuromancer
Yes, all of the accounts are kept active, but only if one of them is at least Gold.
Originally Posted by intuition
OK, you need to be gold?

Theses quotes of OP seems to indicate that
* silver would suffice (no need for the head to be that active silver)
Do I read this incorrectly or has somethings changed since posting or...?
Correct, it is Gold or Silver.
See 18.1.17:

Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16 in the event a Household Account has as a Household Account member a Gold or Silver Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account member any such Gold or Silver Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...and-conditions
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
If inactive accounts are being protected from expiry by a SCH how long does it take for the Avios to be expired when the protecting member loses Silver status?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:40 am

Am I fine:
-Set up BAEC for me.
-Set up HHA and in the process make BAEC for DH

In doing so, would each of us be able to transfer from AmEx MR to our own BAEC which would also be part of the HHA?

And if he had more than I and we made reservations where I was short, it'd take from him?

(Sorry that this is somewhat of a double post. I asked elsewhere but was unclear of the exact answer since my question wasn't as pointed. I hadn't found the specific HHA thread before and this is a better spot for my Q. This should be stickied.)

Second Q: If either of us ended up with the BA Chase card, would the above set up still be fine?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:59 am

If I am to setup a HHA, with me as the 'Head of the HHA', can the other account members see all of my (personal) transactions?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:35 pm

They will see the household total avios, and the transactions in their own account, but they can't see your transactions.

However, the can see their own proportional share of redemptions when you spend avios from your account, so they can easily calculate the approximate size of the redemption, but they can't see the details...... such as whether you are taking the lawn boy along for the trip.....
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
They will see the household total avios, and the transactions in their own account, but they can't see your transactions.

However, the can see their own proportional share of redemptions when you spend avios from your account, so they can easily calculate the approximate size of the redemption, but they can't see the details...... such as whether you are taking the lawn boy along for the trip.....
Ouch... Guess nobody would be the wiser whether the avios were used for 1 J ticket or 2 PEY/Y tickets.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:12 pm

My apologies....... I thought the question was "Can the other members of my HHA see my transgressions?" It turns out, they were asking about "transactions."

My mistake.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Ouch... Guess nobody would be the wiser whether the avios were used for 1 J ticket or 2 PEY/Y tickets.
My apologies....... I thought the question was "Can the other members of my HHA see my transgressions?" It turns out, they were asking about "transactions."

My mistake.
Haha thanks guys

The question was more related to seeing if I made a redemption for a surprise trip somewhere, would they see that?

But I like your humour
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Hi do anyone know my father can kick me out of the HHA by phone?

I stupidly created his account with random e-mail address and password and lost them all!

UPDATE: It is NOT possible to do it on the phone -- you will need to reset your account then remove members.

Last edited by cysyuen; Dec 29, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I ran into an interesting issue with our last 2for1 booking. According to BAEC, I'm the "head of household", which Mrs. Gormless would likely have issue with. In any case, booked travel IAD->LHR. I'm just a Blue. (Bronze in a bit once I get two BA flights, but that's not important.)

Mrs. G is Bronze. Of the perks that matter there is seat assignments one week out. Well, since I (HoH) booked the travel, and it's on a 2for1, both redemption seats had my BA account number. No way to take advantage of that ability to pre-book seats, so I ended up paying.

If you're going to book companion tickets, this is something to be aware of: use the highest status member of the household for the booking!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by gormless
I ran into an interesting issue with our last 2for1 booking. According to BAEC, I'm the "head of household", which Mrs. Gormless would likely have issue with. In any case, booked travel IAD->LHR. I'm just a Blue. (Bronze in a bit once I get two BA flights, but that's not important.)

Mrs. G is Bronze. Of the perks that matter there is seat assignments one week out. Well, since I (HoH) booked the travel, and it's on a 2for1, both redemption seats had my BA account number. No way to take advantage of that ability to pre-book seats, so I ended up paying.

If you're going to book companion tickets, this is something to be aware of: use the highest status member of the household for the booking!
I though you can add two numbers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.