FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Your guide to Household Accounts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1481579-your-guide-household-accounts.html)

Prospero Jul 2, 2013 12:35 pm

Your guide to Household Accounts

https://prospelicious.com/wp-content.../HHA_title.png

Household accounts (HHAs), or family accounts as they are sometimes referred to are a way of pooling Avios for redemptions. They are also a way of allowing under 18s to join and earn Avios and gain status for themselves.

Each member must be registered at the same address. Setting up a HHA is easy and can be done online. The Head of the Household (i.e. the main applicant) can access an online statement detailing the personal transactions of each member, and the total combined mileage for the Household. The Head of the Household can add up to 6 additional members to the HHA. Once it is set-up, you as the Head of Household will see two mileage balances when you log into ba.com, a personal one, and a household one. The household one is the mileage balance of all the members, combined. While the Head of Household has access to a statement of combined transactions within the HHA, other members of the HHA can only review their own transactions.

From December 2013, HHA members can now spend their Household Avios on up to 5 additional family and friends who do not live at the same address. The Head of the Household can add family and/or friends to the new Family and Friends list which can be accessed via logging into your Executive Club account and selecting 'My family and friends' from the left hand menu.

Note: Avios cannot not be pooled with anyone who is added to your Family and Friends list, you can only share Avios in this way with individuals who live at the same address as you and are part of your Household Account.

https://prospelicious.com/wp-content...4/HHA_.001.png

Administrative changes to HHAs can be made online at ba.com by the Head of the Household only. This includes changes to contact details, adding or removing members from the HHA, and dissolving the HHA. Registering a change of address can also be made online, however this will have to be done separately for each member of the Household Account.

Avios earned is the only thing that is shared; status is NOT shared i.e. if one member is Silver and the other is Blue, the Blue member travelling alone will not have lounge access, Club check-in etc.

As you have to be 18 or over to join the Executive Club the HHA is a good way to let kids join. There is no age restriction when joining a family account (however infants aged under 3 will not earn TP and Avios unless you book a seat for them).

Let's recap with three very important numbers :)

7---The maximum number of members in a HHA is seven (Head of household and six others).

---You can only make changes to a HHA once every six months.

---Household Avios can be redeemed for up to 5 additional family and friends

Spending Avios from a household account
There’s a specific formula that calculates how Avios are deducted from each members account whenever a redemption is booked.

https://prospelicious.com/wp-content...4/HHA_.002.png

The figure above gives an illustrative example of how each HHA member is charged whenever a redemption is booked.

In this example the HHA has a combined balance of 200,000 Avios for which it wishes to spend 100,000 Avios towards a business class ticket for member C to travel from London to San Francisco.

The overall 'pie' is the sum of all Avios accrued by all individual members of the HHA. Member A has an individual balance of 120,000 Avios, which represents 60% of the total HHA pool. Member B has 40,000 Avios (20%), C has 30,000 Avios (15%), D has 10,000 Avios (5%). We can see here that member C doesn't have enough Avios Points to fund the ticket alone but as a member of this HHA, s/he can.

So when a redemption ticket is booked, each member of the account will be debited a pro-rata proportion of the Avios needed, based on their individual contribution towards the overall pool: 60% (60,000 Avios) from member A, 20% (20,000 Avios) from member B, and 5% (5,000 Avios). Member C, the lucky ticket holder will contribute 15,000 Avios (15%) towards the price of the ticket.

Keeping Avios alive!
If a Blue or Bronze member has had no activity in 36 consecutive months but they are part of an HHA which has a Gold or Silver member their Avios will be protected as long as there is an active Gold or Silver in the HHA. Other than that, make sure you keep an eye on this and ensure all accounts have some activity occasionally – of course, the easiest way to do that is a redemption due to the formula above.

Limitations of HHAs
If you set up a Household Account you can only redeem Avios for members inside the HHA plus friends and family specifically added to the HHA, unlike standard account holders who are essentially able to redeem Avios for anyone. This also applies to GUF2 vouchers, including those redeemed for purely paid tickets via a Travel Agent which have nothing to do with Avios and/or HHAs. Do bear in mind, the Executive Club does exercise some discretion for GUFT vouchers so the best bet is to check with your local service centre to see if they can help, particularly when upgrading a commercial fare for someone outside of the HHA that you have paid for as a Gold member.

Similarly as a member of a UK registered HHA, when redeeming Amex companion vouchers your companion must also belong to your HHA. However, a UK registered HHA member can travel as the companion of a standard member using the other member's Amex companion voucher. These rules differ for US registered members with a Chase companion voucher, who may choose to take anyone as a companion on their redemption voucher booking.

Remember also, if you are a HHA member without any transactions in the last 12 months to your name you will be unable to book a Reward Flight Saver ticket for yourself. One of the active members in your household would have to book it on your behalf or you would need to earn an Avios to book for yourself.

Note: Members of the HHA who are under 18 cannot redeem Avios for tickets for themselves.

Links
BA.com Household Account page [UK]
Household account terms and conditions [UK]
Q&A with Nicci

Prospero Jul 2, 2013 12:37 pm

Q&A

If you have any specific questions relating to HHA's, please feel free to post them in this thread.

johnaalex Jul 2, 2013 1:57 pm

Great work Prospero. Is it true you can only make changes to an HHA every 6 months (or something like that)?

Steve in Olympia Jul 2, 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 21028657)
... when redeeming Amex (or equivalent credit card) companion vouchers your companion must also belong to your HHA.

This is true for the U.K.-based Amex 2-4-1 voucher, but it is not true for the U.S.-based Chase 2-4-1 voucher. The Terms & Conditions are very clear:

"Companions do not have to be named within a BA Executive Club Household Account. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their redemption voucher booking."

The U.S. Terms & Conditions can be found here:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

Prospero Jul 2, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks Steve. I've amended the text highlighting the distinction between UK and US members.

olybeast Jul 2, 2013 2:39 pm

What 'changes' exactly can only be done every 6 months? Adding people? Removing people?

Does it mean I can only add a person every 6 months?

pauldb Jul 2, 2013 2:45 pm

I feel as if I must be missing something obvious, but how do I, as a Head of Household, find a combined statement? All I can see is my own statement and the combined HHA balance.

neuromancer Jul 3, 2013 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by olybeast (Post 21029482)
What 'changes' exactly can only be done every 6 months? Adding people? Removing people?

Does it mean I can only add a person every 6 months?

IME you can do several changes at once, without waiting 6 months. I was able to add my twin girls in one go. After you finish and some time passes, you should wait 6 months for the next change.

leonidas Jul 3, 2013 10:43 pm

My wife and I are currently in two different addresses, and it will take us another year or so to come under the same address. Any way BA will relax the strict "same address" clause if I write to them?

Do they ask for any address proof? What are our options?

Thanks.

WilcoRoger Jul 4, 2013 12:15 am

Originally Posted by leonidas (Post 21037816)

Just make your EC addresses to be the same, no proof asked

joejet Jul 4, 2013 1:10 am

Originally Posted by leonidas (Post 21037816)
My wife and I are currently in two different addresses, and it will take us another year or so to come under the same address. Any way BA will relax the strict "same address" clause if I write to them?

Thanks.

No proof required, so just say the same address now!

BERbound Jul 6, 2013 7:53 am

If I close down a household account do I get to keep my avios balance or do they get split between the HHA members?

Tobias-UK Jul 6, 2013 8:02 am

Originally Posted by BERbound (Post 21049198)
If I close down a household account do I get to keep my avios balance or do they get split between the HHA members?

Each member of the HHA will keep their own Avios.

neuromancer Jul 6, 2013 10:46 am

Except children, whose Avios are transferred to the head of the account.

matinicus rock Jul 6, 2013 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia (Post 21029396)
This is true for the U.K.-based Amex 2-4-1 voucher, but it is not true for the U.S.-based Chase 2-4-1 voucher. The Terms & Conditions are very clear:

"Companions do not have to be named within a BA Executive Club Household Account. Members can choose to take anyone as a Companion on their redemption voucher booking."

The U.S. Terms & Conditions can be found here:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

This must be a relatively new rule because when I used a 2for1 in November of 2011 with a friend, I had to add him to my HHA and then remove him 6 months later - so certainly this change is a nice welcome.

HOWEVER, with this new rule, how do you redeem a voucher with someone not on your HHA? When you try to redeem online and enter your desired itinerary, and just select yourself as a traveler, unchecking boxes of those in your HHA, thre's no box that pops up asking you to enter the non-HHA companion? So does this mean the reservation cannot be completed online if your companion is not in your HHA - you have to do it over the phone?