Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [Focused personal feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
This thread has specific feedback on specific lounge visits by flyertalkers since the change to BaxterStorey. Here's a list of specific reviews in this thread by lounge.

General Discussion is found on a separate thread

T5 Concorde Room
Hannibal Lecter 2 vists
G-BPED May 18th
Genius1 19 May
Squeeler c.May 21st
BizFlyin c.May 28th
Land-of-Miles 1st June, Land-of-Miles 1st June
harryhv June 12th

T5 Galleries First
PUCCI GALORE 17th May, 20th May
Flying Doctor 23rd May
lorcancoyle 25th May
itsmeitisss 26th May, itsmeitisss 26th May
brutha 26th May
BizFlyin 27th May
MarkLHR 28th May
BAAZ 28th May
mclachlan4321 28th May
DominicB 28th May
Arbeiter2 30th May
PleasureFlyer 31st May
paulieuk 31st May
PleasureFlyer 31st May
GUWonder 31st May
thebestbf 1st June
BA235 (10 Visits) 1st May - 1st June
mclachlan4321 2nd June
brunos 2nd June
nobbyclark 2nd June
squeeler 3rd June
paulwuk 3rd June
Layz 4th June, Layz 4th June
orbitmic 12th June
InfiniteCycle June 17th

T3 Galleries First
Petrus c.20th May
economyman 27th May

T5 Galleries Club
londonflyingbird 1st May
Genius1 11 May
Genius1 19 May
TheDafariMan c.22nd May
bafan 22nd May
GLA 23rd May
jamiebf 24th May
0hnoes 25th May
rossmacd 26th May
EuropeanPete c. 28th May
BingBongBoy 29th May
IAMORGAN 1st June
KeaneJohn, 1st June
HIDDY 1st June
drsh99 2nd June
CT-UK 3rd June
visualAd 3rd June
Private Pyle 14th June
Private Pyle 16th June
sigma421 13th July and 19th July

T3 Galleries Club
Kimml Early May

T1 UK + Ireland
BahrainLad June 13th

T5 Galleries Arrivals
windowontheAside 18th May

LGW Galleries First
orbitmic, May 30th
travellinglight, 1st June

LGW Galleries Club
missdimeaner, May 11th

MAN Terraces
rossmacd 26th May
visualAd 3rd June

EDI Galleries
nobbyclark 2nd June

All lounges
corporate-wages-slave 34 lounge visits in 26 days!
Print Wikipost

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [Focused personal feedback]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan
As Shuttle said, it already been all said, but another one here for the weight. And to add a point for the 1% of the population with Coeliac disease or gluten sensitivity, and the 10% of the population who have other dietary needs.

The removal of the hot buffet between 3 & 6 is bad. Really bad. For anyone to think that afternoon tea will suit everyone, or that sandwiches are a suitable alternative is clearly deluded, and I am not having a go at Nicci, since it is obvious that the statement was written for her to post.

So, for a Coeliac (I am gluten sensitive, so don't risk permanent damage to my gut, so can risk a sandwich with only chronic gut pain, and other nasty reactions later to show for it), what is there: Afternoon tea sir?. Nope, has gluten in it. How about some sandwiches then, or a piece of cake?
So, soup, fruit or 'ambient snacks'. Of which the soup being in industrial quantities will almost certainly use flour as a thickener, making that a no go, biscuits are obviously out of the question, and so I would be left with salad (if available under the ambient snacks label) or a bag of crisps which are probably not there having all gone already! BYO food for me, except of course I could not get it through security.... Thanks BA (BS). The hot buffet used to have at least one, if not too good choices which were gluten free. Never thought I'd say it, but bring back Compass!!

BA, you really have come a cropper with this. It will put people off to a massive extent. Can't expect people to agree to a massive downgrade in service and quality in what are the flagship lounges at what is BA HQ
I agree. I have coeliac condition as well, and before the change, it was always easy to find a Gluten Free option. Also, at LGW they had a special tray of GF snacks on demand, and I suppose this has been enhanced away as well in the great cost slashing exercise which this is.

It means I'll be much more likely to order a gluten free meal on board, as I won't be able to rely on having something in the lounge first. This will cost BA a lot more. Previously I only ordered a special meal relatively infrequently.

And the buffet slop looks horrendous. If this is someone's idea of 'fresh seasonal high quality ingredients' they must have escaped from an institution.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
TBH I have no problem with the adjustments in catering for different times of day. You'll never make everyone happy, and I generally consider lounges a place to snack and relax rather than eat meals outside of breakfast/dinner.

I think the bigger problem is the quality, service and presentation. I'd suggest (like earlier in the thread) that pictures be collected and posted. Showing bad quality, stock levels, presentation, cleanliness etc) say more than than words sometimes.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
Nicci (if you are still reading and not zoned out)

This was also discussed at the GGL lunch held this week, and the feedback from the GGL'ers there was very similar to the feedback here - that these changes don't line up with what people want/expect from the product.

I understand that there is now someone taking ownership of the lounges as a 'product' within BA, I don't know if these changes are them trying to demonstrate their value to the company.... but the suggestion that these are being done in line with customer feedback/needs doesn't seem to be borne out by the sample here on FT, nor anyone who attended the GGL session.

Happy to share more detail via PM of the GGL session direct with you - but although you are just the messenger in this case, I would hope that those messages flow two ways given the level of feedback that you're getting.

I would add to that feedback...... this is not the way to go with lounge catering !

Ed
Old May 23, 2013, 10:10 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I join the other FTers who thank Nicci for putting her head above the parapet. My reading of the situation is that catering in GF will never in the future be top notch, rather it will be a variation on the theme of (alcoholic admittedly) school dinners.

Two points:

BA should send someone to eat in the Qantas First lounges in MEL and SYD to see what can be done.

I ate in CCR this week. It was all very ho-hum I am afraid. Fish cake, cold spud wedges, OK cheese.

"Ever backwards BA"
Old May 23, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
As a busy business traveller coming from the office, I find I have to work through lunch to get to the airport for an afternoon flight. Yes, I end up having a very late lunch in the lounge. Clearly the Executives at BA have time to have lunch and take tea at the appropriate time. GF is not for leisure passengers but for frequent flyers who rush everywhere and eat at odd hours. I had dinner at 11 pm last night and I am in the UK (not in London).

Not shooting the messenger here but putting customers first is the cornerstone of "To Fly To Serve". The BA Execs do not even care about this motto by their comments; or have not understood their customers.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
I think buffets have to be manned, otherwise replenishment, tiredness and mess develops. it is unfair to compare the VA clubhouse at LHR because of size and demand, but their small buffet (which acts as a nice change up from the menu items) is manned and served. Everything always looks great and enticing. Earlier postings with photos of depleted buffet plates just show how depressing all day lounge buffets can be.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:44 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
In T5 Galleries Club South at the mo. I must say, I would not have guessed there had been a change of caterer. The only substantial change at this time is that the Green and Black's ice cream is back: far superior to the other stuff!

If BA would start the hot buffet at 5 and spruce up afternoon tea I would have no issue whatsoever with what's on offer.
Old May 23, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Your personal feedback on catering in our lounges

I recently travelled from Edinburgh to London and found the fruit-salad to be tasteless. Looked great, but all flavour was gone.

Went via LCY to JFK, so cannot comment on the lounge since didn't eat or bother looking.

Agree with other posts that I have no idea what the fascination with afternoon tea is about - I personally think its nice for visitors to sample; but not for people who are using BA service on a regular basis.

I'll be in the CCR on Saturday night in JFK and Sunday morning in LHR and have previously been in the lounge and was happy.

I was looking forward visiting this weekend, but bit more careful after reading the posts.

I'm personally not a fan of sandwiches; more of a wrap man myself
Old May 23, 2013, 5:10 pm

I hit the arrivals lounge Tuesday and it seemed like there were several changes.

The selection of breakfast cereal was certainly reduced, and in open bowls rather than the large dispensers.

The gorgeous muffins have been replaced by much smaller, drier ones and there was no toast. I waited for a while in case they were just restocking but none came out so I asked and eventually some was brought out.

The hot buffet seemed rather light - I think the usual suspects were present but in small quantities. I was there at 10:00ish, so hardly the end of the shift and the lounge was moderately busy.

So overall, it wasn't a disastrous experience, but noticeably leaner than before.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The lounge catering changes are a negative for me.

.... and given that BA customers are often flying via LHR to/from a different time zone, the elimination of the continuous buffet is rather customer-unfriendly. Most of the lounge-using transit passengers at LHR have their stomachs set for GMT? Doubtful.

The lounge food arrangements were previously one of the few reasons I would choose to put up with the transit at LHR despite the additional hassles that come with doing a transit in the UK rather than elsewhere when flying into or out of the Schengen zone.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: Meh
Gold Card member for 11 years. My own company, my own money spent. Live in both Ireland and Germany, and will re-qualify for gold within 10 weeks of reset. Have decided for the remainder of the year to use alternatives to Asia/North America and see how BA handles the remainder of the year.

Simply put BA (Willie Walsh) has been eroding product quality for some time now and it has got to the stage whereby they have made lounge food either inedible/unavailable. For those of us that tend to want to sleep on the (excellent) BA CW seats this is a major blow to the BA value proposition. The final nail is the bullcrap spouted by BA about giving the customers what they want, when it is patently obvious this is a lie. It is a cost cutting exercise, do not try to implicate your top tier customers in pushing to downgrade the product.

Perhaps this is the future of BA, just look at Aerlingus, an excellent no frills budget and profitable airline.

Good luck BA, I will find out very soon about those far away hills very soon.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:10 am

I don't quite agree with the sentiment that the lounge should somehow make up for someone missing their regular meal hours and dashing to the airport. An appropriate sandwich with salad buffet would more than make up for that if it truly was what you need. What is disturbing is the supposed enhancement of more cakes. Why not a truly proper sandwich offering, rather than the pitiful triangular sorry messes on white bread? And a *good* soup, rather than watery veg of some kind or goulash with more sauce than meat, well...

Incidentally, I for one don't mind the afternoon tea on the plane one bit, but find it a nice touch.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What should be done?

What should be done?
As may be obvious, I've spent a lot of time in the last few weeks lounge hopping. The funny thing is that because I fly more than most I generally try to time things so I don't have any time in lounges, otherwise I'd spend my whole sentient life in one. Since 28 April I have made 34 lounge visits and the only BS serviced lounge that I have not yet visited is GC Gatwick.

As is always the way on FlyerTalk you have to reach for the sodium with some of the comments made here. It really isn't that bad and a sense of proportion / reasonableness would make some arguments go a lot further. But that's just my view. I see the hygiene argument, but it doesn't bother me - we are in close contact via seating, magazines, air vents.

So what should be done?

Domestic lounges - NCL, EDI, GLA, ABZ, MAN: These are all been improved enormously since the changeover. We should recognise that and say "well done BA". There is very little I would improve other than ensure that stock is available at all times. This isn't always perfect, even though lounge usage domestically follows well known patterns which are easy to predict. I put this down to teething issues.

GF Gatwick - the offering there was weak before the changeover and not much has really changed. My proposal here is:
1) Offer one or two other hot items apart from bacon baguettes. E.g salt beef sandwiches, lasagne.
2) The lack of snack options needs to be improved since there is very little else. So maybe some nuts and one or two savoury crisp items.

GC T3 and T5 - I think it should be recognised that there have been some improvements here (notably better breakfast options such as porridge), but the lack of hot food in the middle of the day is an issue. So again I would suggest one or two hot items (apart from soup) should be available. Perhaps lasagne, and keeping the potatoes and beans going through the afternoon.

CCR - I don't actually see much issue there. The impact of BS is largely neutral, I don't think many people knew about the pre flight supper. By all means return the eggs benedict at breakfast and perhaps the Belted Galloway beef. On the other hand the staff are more better managed now, on the whole.

First Lounge!
Breakfast - let's get real - it has not much changed. OK black pudding has gone, but the tomatoes, sausages, Danish, bacon are all much better than before. For probably half the users of Flounge there has been no significant difference in their lounge experience.

Cakes, biscuits, fruit and desserts - again generally improved. We should recognise that. I guess there is a case for having at least the new fruit loaf available for 11 o'clock, but there are viennessories and biscuits available.

Snacks - I can't get too excited about this, bearing in mind we now have nibbles, but OK, why not at least a second flavour of crisps.

Order menu - the simple return of beef rendang would mean that the order menu would be as good, if not better, than before.

Buffet - the definite weak spot. My suggestion would be to keep the chilli con carne, that's fine; get rid of the mustard chicken, it's not working; and replace it with something like individual meat pies or fish pies. Anything which is not in a sauce basically. Also keeping soup permanently available. Part of the problem is that the kitchens and level of staff training/expertise is hampering BS' ambitions and delivery, but there are relatively easy answers. However BA need to release BS from the 6 month menu fix that was put in the contract.

In short, a relatively small number of changes would make a big difference to this situation, that's my view at least. Only one thing has gone drastically wrong, the Flounge buffet, it is just bad luck for BA and BS it was that lounge.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold; Aegean Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What should be done?

First Lounge!
Breakfast - let's get real - it has not much changed. OK black pudding has gone, but the tomatoes, sausages, Danish, bacon are all much better than before. For probably half the users of Flounge there has been no significant difference in their lounge experience.
Well,this is opinion and probably depends on the time of day and maybe the day itself - but this wasn't my experience - the bacon was dried up, there was very little of it and there were no eggs of any description. In addition, bizarrely, there was no muesli - on two separate days - and no wild berry compote. I happen to love both - so my breakfast experience had been very significantly degraded.

What should be done?
Cakes, biscuits, fruit and desserts - again generally improved. We should recognise that. I guess there is a case for having at least the new fruit loaf available for 11 o'clock, but there are viennessories and biscuits available.
Again I disagree. The separately packaged Walkers selection was excellent and very handy to slip in your packet for an in-flight snack. Try doing that with the dessicated biscuits in the glass jars!

What should be done?
Snacks - I can't get too excited about this, bearing in mind we now have nibbles, but OK, why not at least a second flavour of crisps.
I agree.

What should be done?Order menu - the simple return of beef rendang would mean that the order menu would be as good, if not better, than before.
I've never used this much, so won't comment.

What should be done?Buffet - the definite weak spot. My suggestion would be to keep the chilli con carne, that's fine; get rid of the mustard chicken, it's not working; and replace it with something like individual meat pies or fish pies. Anything which is not in a sauce basically. Also keeping soup permanently available. Part of the problem is that the kitchens and level of staff training/expertise is hampering BS' ambitions and delivery, but there are relatively easy answers. However BA need to release BS from the 6 month menu fix that was put in the contract.

In short, a relatively small number of changes would make a big difference to this situation, that's my view at least. Only one thing has gone drastically wrong, the Flounge buffet, it is just bad luck for BA and BS it was that lounge.
Agreed that the drastic mistake is Flounge - I think that is what the overwhelming majority of posters on here are complaining about. The changes to the CW lounge seem retrograde but proportionally minor. The point is not only about the buffet vanishing for half the time, but the quality is MUCH worse than it was under the previous regime - and almost identical to the old CW lounge. Hence everyone wondering why they should bother to try to make the now much higher Gold threshold. A really brilliant marketing ploy by BA - take those who travel most on your airline, and give them a great reason to wonder whether they should stop trying to travel with you as much as they can. There is still of course the champagne bar - but how long before it goes the same way? Unless of course we can convince them that their current course is simply counter-productive.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Well a friend of mine is off to JFK on AA this afternoon so popped into Galleries Club to have a look, to be presented with "Afternoon Tea."

Unsurprisingly he's now off to CX.

Sort it out BA you are making yourselves look like a bunch of amateurs. What is the standard now, an Admiral's Club???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.