Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [Focused personal feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sigma421
This thread has specific feedback on specific lounge visits by flyertalkers since the change to BaxterStorey. Here's a list of specific reviews in this thread by lounge.

General Discussion is found on a separate thread

T5 Concorde Room
Hannibal Lecter 2 vists
G-BPED May 18th
Genius1 19 May
Squeeler c.May 21st
BizFlyin c.May 28th
Land-of-Miles 1st June, Land-of-Miles 1st June
harryhv June 12th

T5 Galleries First
PUCCI GALORE 17th May, 20th May
Flying Doctor 23rd May
lorcancoyle 25th May
itsmeitisss 26th May, itsmeitisss 26th May
brutha 26th May
BizFlyin 27th May
MarkLHR 28th May
BAAZ 28th May
mclachlan4321 28th May
DominicB 28th May
Arbeiter2 30th May
PleasureFlyer 31st May
paulieuk 31st May
PleasureFlyer 31st May
GUWonder 31st May
thebestbf 1st June
BA235 (10 Visits) 1st May - 1st June
mclachlan4321 2nd June
brunos 2nd June
nobbyclark 2nd June
squeeler 3rd June
paulwuk 3rd June
Layz 4th June, Layz 4th June
orbitmic 12th June
InfiniteCycle June 17th

T3 Galleries First
Petrus c.20th May
economyman 27th May

T5 Galleries Club
londonflyingbird 1st May
Genius1 11 May
Genius1 19 May
TheDafariMan c.22nd May
bafan 22nd May
GLA 23rd May
jamiebf 24th May
0hnoes 25th May
rossmacd 26th May
EuropeanPete c. 28th May
BingBongBoy 29th May
IAMORGAN 1st June
KeaneJohn, 1st June
HIDDY 1st June
drsh99 2nd June
CT-UK 3rd June
visualAd 3rd June
Private Pyle 14th June
Private Pyle 16th June
sigma421 13th July and 19th July

T3 Galleries Club
Kimml Early May

T1 UK + Ireland
BahrainLad June 13th

T5 Galleries Arrivals
windowontheAside 18th May

LGW Galleries First
orbitmic, May 30th
travellinglight, 1st June

LGW Galleries Club
missdimeaner, May 11th

MAN Terraces
rossmacd 26th May
visualAd 3rd June

EDI Galleries
nobbyclark 2nd June

All lounges
corporate-wages-slave 34 lounge visits in 26 days!
Print Wikipost

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [Focused personal feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:48 am

[QUOTE=PleasureFlyer;20862738]....Previously there was a good selection of smoked salmon/gravadlax, decent quality ham and excellent pastrami. There was also an excellent selection of mixed salads - considerably more than there are now from Baxter Slurry.

The cold buffet now consists of small amounts of gristly ham, enough salami (of course, much cheaper than the previously available gravadlax/salmon, etc.) to give an elephant a major cardiovascular incident, and some tinned (no doubt "gourmet") tuna.

Unless you love tuna; it is now impossible to have a quick cold salad from the self-select buffet, unless you want a heart attack from the fatty salami.

QUOTE]

I'm glad you brought this up because for me, this is a big disappointment of the new set up.

In the past, I would more often than not make up a salad rather than have something from the hot buffet but that is more difficult now (even the BS coleslaw tastes cheap). Last time I was in GF it was chorizo or ham to go with salad and the salad offerings were also pretty limited and basic.

We ended up ordering from the menu - Schezuan Chicken (which was only just acceptable - way too much pepper but without the pepper, there would have been no flavour) served with Wok Fried Veg (which was very good, if a little salty) and the Salmon (pretty good).

So, if this is all about cost cutting, surely BA have scored an own goal. I doubt that prepared to order hot food is less expensive than a plate of smoked salmon or nice ham and rabbit food.

Last Monday evening, I also noticed that there were very few menus on display. I had to go looking for one so my partner could see what was on offer.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:22 am

I agree with you 100%. The Salad buffet is far worse now. Just as you say, one could prepare a pretty decent cold plate with gravlax, Pastrami, Olives and salad. And it was presented nicely. There where then decent options in the hot buffet such as Gratin, Curry, Pies, sausages and more stuff.

Now we are left with very basic cheap stuff, and a menu that is not close to what used to be on offer.

Before Baxter Storey:

Ice cream with chocolate. The Compass team happily prepared this for you. Combined with JWB and a coffee, it made G5 shine, a world class frequent flyer lounge.

Anyone remember this:

While it is not some prohibitively expensive 1st or 2nd growths, they are high quality wines. This was the norm!

I personally do not see how anything in Galleries First has improved.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: Ba ggl, ccr
Terrible

The food in the first lounge really has fallen off a cliff, I'm here now and whilst there do seem to be lots more managers than last week walking around looking at everything the quality of food is still unacceptable.

the buffet has gone from a fairly broad range of options and is now what color of largely meat free slime do you want to top your rice with. Given we're in June at least a couple of slime free, light dishes with actual meat would be a decent idea.

As an allergy sufferer most of the food is now actually inedible for me. before the biscuits came sealed with ingredients and allergens on the back, likewise a large choice of crisps, allowing me to eat safely. Having now obviously sought to cut costs to the max and gone to giant jars without ingredients and a high risk of cross contamination this option is gone. Likewise with the switch of the menu and buffet to predominantly sandwiches makes it extremely tough for seed allergy sufferers like myself who cannot risk cross contamination.

I'd now be better off spending 2.95 on a pret salad than even trying to eat in the lounge which as a longstanding gold member is extremely dissapointing
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
If lounge population is anything to go by, at the very least people are avoiding the lounges post BS. CCR and Flounge were virtually empty on the last two visits there, and this is in comparison to nearly full and at least buzzing beforehand.

People will plan their trips and airport arrival times a little around the lounge experience (or lack there of), but to the extent that I have observed it appears it could have hurt BAs sales and reputation.

Frank appeared to "market" this up as a great improvement, and as such I have yet to see him at his usual word on this matter.

Disappointing to the point that I haven't eaten in the lounges since the changes save for one Burger (admittedly it was relatively ok, but nothing special).
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Just in the CCR a week ago and food was good, served promptly, and was hot. The CCR thus far seems to be making it through the transition without being "enhanced" like the flounge.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I went by the north lounge at 16:15 as I was connecting from T3 so it was my closest. As expected no hot food, what remained of the sandwiches looked nice (better than the ones in the flounge) but by the time I had a chance to grab one they'd all gone.

So I decided to go to the flounge and the gloop trays were out - so as I believed earlier the flounge does indeed still have an all day buffet (at least in T5). The only drawback is the all day buffet is now the standard of the club lounge.

But there's positive signs. There was cold chicken in the salad selection which I used to make a starter. It was a welcome addition.

As I have a couple of hours spare I decided to order from the menu. The salmon was a little cold, the potatoes fine. It tasted good though.

The staff are working hard replenishing, stocking up, taking orders from customers. Things aren't too bad at all, the main issue at the moment is that the buffet used to be noticeably better in the flounge now it's the same the only benefit of the flounge as far as the buffet is concerned is you can get something at times when the club lounge has no hot buffet.

EDIT: OK they were working hard where I was sitting but they seem to have forgot the corner where the champagne bar is. For my first glass all bottles were full. Now all but the current guest champagne (a brand I've never heard of) are tipped upside down. So I'd still say things are a bit better (but not as good as before) just they need to send someone down the quiet corner when the champagne is every so often.

Last edited by layz; Jun 4, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
30 mins after my last glass. I notice the champagne bar has not been restocked. This is a shame, they were doing so well but it looks like that corner gets neglected. Also my empty plate has been waiting for about the same time.

PS I do like today's Daily Mail headline*. Now we know why catering has been cut back

* Not that I like the Daily Mail but I seen the headline in the lounge it is "Eat less meat or face food shortage". They should stick that on the walls as a cost saving measure

UPDATE: 5 mins later. I hear multiple champagne corks popping. Looks like the bar is getting replenished.

Has anyone tried the current guest champagne? No one here seems to want to touch it so I'll stick with what I know.

Last edited by layz; Jun 4, 2013 at 10:45 am
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: ABBA
I just indexed the thread as I wondered how many people were reporting on the various lounges. Then I spotted the "Wikipost" function which I was tempted by. Sorry if it's not the right etiquette
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:36 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Actually two of my complaints in the lounges everywhere is something that has nothing to do with the changes - but which has dis improved of late.

People in there seem to be getting more and more selfish over the amount of room they take. Some seem to feel that three seats on the terrace in the Flounge is quite acceptable. One individual managed to try to occupy the full bench when I was last there. I take few hints and just dumped myself on the bit at the end that he had not occupied. He was far from pleased and in no position to say anything about it. I could have gone elsewhere but I too wanted to watch the take offs on 27L.

The other is that in my opinion there are not enough monitors - in my book if you are not making announcements then you need plenty more monitors.

That is OT - but it does stop me saying anything unpleasant about the offerings in HIDDY's picture. Frankly I have not been to the buffet as I ordered Breakfast Bacon Sandwiches. The kindest thing that I could say is that it all looked like a School Dinner at one of these "Academies" or what the NHS plonk in front of the sick. If that is what we are offering our Premier passengers,then we do have a problem.

I will be in LGW FLounge on Thursday and I will go and poke my nose next door. I always thought that the FLounge at LGW was a poor relation to anything at LHR as it is miniscule in comparison and offers no views or any hot food whatsoever. I'd gladly take the Pink Champagne and go next door but I am sure that they would take a very dim view of such behavior.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, Tufty Club, Virgin Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, ICH Platinum Ambassador. MAS Gold
Was in CCR on May 18th. Arrived around lunch time. Asked for and got a table for lunch very quickly.

Had Mushroom soup (hot) and BA burger (tasty, slightly overdone but, it was ok). Pannacotta for desert (not the best but, in my opinion acceptable).

Had champagne followed by coffee.

Service was very prompt and given with enthusiasm.

One negative point. One particular server (not ours) seemed to be hating her job and huffed and puffed every time she was asked for a table or an order taken. However, our server was very polite and efficient.

After lunch we went onto the terrace where staff were constantly in attendance clearing up and taking drink/food orders with a smile for everyone.

All in all a positive experience but, as has been pointed out the main changes seem to be in other lounges.

Will see how GF lounge is on my next visit.

Regards,

G-BPED.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by visualAd
I was on an LHR-MAN flight today, didn't bother with GF but visited GC North for 20mins at 05:50

- No bacon rolls in buffet
- I had some Bran Flakes; the bowls were a bit grubby but I found a clean one on my third attempt. I prefer the large bowls to the dispensers they had before as they broke the cereal in to little bits

My colleague arrived about 10mins later with a mushroom roll. Still not bacon rolls apparently.

Also had a tea and a croissant. Although smaller than before they are still nice.
Return flight in the MAN lounge 3 June 4pm. There is now hot food (Lentil soup). It was rather tasteless and powdery but did the job with a few croutons and meant I didn't have to eat dinner when I got back.

I had some Maderia cake. There was a selection of 4 flavours and I planned to grab another slice on the way out. unfortunately they had been removed by the time I left and replaced with a basked of crisps.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Was in GF on morning of 25th, no noticeable change in that breakfast was still fairly shoddy. Not sure what approach they take, but simple / basic things like ensuring a regular supply of fresh toast aren't done - it's a mentality they seem to have in that kitchen of pile 'em high; certain products should be out for a couple of minutes only and then replaced (hint to BS, piles of cold toast left untouched does not mean there's no demand, it's a supply failure...), and wouldn't seem to be rocket science

Sausages looked a bit underdone (apologies if I've breached hiddy's copyright there)

If there was evidence that the downside of catering changes (timings etc) were genuinely a sacrifice to get some upside elsewhere there could be some understanding (still disagreement from some but that's the nature of change), but on my limited experience that's not the case.

Dare I say it, I would favour self service toasters to complement the cold racks available at the moment, as would allow a degree of control...
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
As there is now an official record on page 1, I want to confirm that I was in GC South on 22nd May from 11am.

I was disappointed that there were no savoury options available (hot or cold) until 12pm.

As soon as hot savoury food became available I had the chilli, which I found very salty.

I made appropriate comments in the book.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
Have just popped in to T5 GC North to see what the 'afternoon tea' service was like. Very disappointed! There were five rows of ham sandwiches and some cakes. I took some pictures, but won't bother uploading them as I'm sure you're all fed up seeing how bad it is by now...

I'm now in GF and, despite whisperings of possible improvements tonight, there is no change to the buffet; jacket potatoes, various trays of gloop and some less than inviting pasta. There was, however, plenty of champagne, although it isn't very cold. Can't help but love the lemon biscuits. Given the absence of wrappers, I may have found another use for the liquid bags from security
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold and various hotel programs (wishing they were all linked)
T5 arrivals lounge seems unaffected and shows how it should be done.

I took pics this am on iPhone but can't fathom how to attach them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.