Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread gives details of the changeover of catering supplier to British Airways lounges in the UK in April to June 2013. The new supplier is BaxterStorey, taking over from Compass / Restaurant Associates. For details of the current catering arrangements in specific lounges please see below

LHR lounges - terminals 1, 3 and 5:
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights. This is due to change to BaxterStorey on 12 June 2013.

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

There's various methods to give feedback on the catering changes. These include:
  • The lounge guest book - comments left here are read by BA and BaxterStorey managers on site.
  • Twitter - tweet @British_Airways and @Baxter_Storey your experience at the time.
  • Through BA.com - its useful for BA to hear what you think whether you're a high tier point earner or just an occasional business class traveller.
  • Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note to this forum from BA Executive Club (which says they are monitoring feedback in that thread).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, BA Silver, VS, BA Amex PP

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere already, but in case it hasn't been I thought it might be of interest:

http://www.caterersearch.com/Article...unges-deal.htm
BaxterStorey has seen off stiff competition from long term incumbent operator Compass Group to snag a lucrative catering contract with British Airways (BA).

The sought after deal was struck following a competitive tender process, which French catering giant Sodexo – operator of rival airline Virgin Atlantic’s Clubhouses – is also believed to have been keen to win.

Compass Group’s Restaurant Associates business has held the contract, which industry insiders estimate to be worth in excess of £20m a year, for 20 years.

BaxterStorey is expected to be responsible for all of the airline’s First Class and Galleries lounges, as well as the Concorde Room at London Heathrow’s Terminal 5.

Airport lounges used by Leicestershire-based airline BMI, which was bought by BA’s parent company IAG in 2011, is also expected to be part of the contract.

A spokesperson for BA would not confirm the contract award, but said that it is “standard practice” to regularly review its suppliers. At the time of going to press, BaxterStorey was unavailable for comment.

A Restaurant Associates representative said: “We can confirm that Restaurant Associates will no longer be delivering catering services at the BA loungesin the UK. Restaurant Associates will continue to provide excellent service, ensuring a timely transfer of activity over the coming months.

“We are very proud of the long-standing relationship we have had with British Airways and wish them well in the future.”

Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Good spot and thanks for posting.

Will the staff be TUPE'd over to the new contractor I wonder?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Intresting

Originally Posted by ian001
Good spot and thanks for posting.

Will the staff be TUPE'd over to the new contractor I wonder?
Intresting to see this, I work in this field and used to work for a couple of these big boys. Will be intresting to see how they settle in, first few months can be hit and miss while they get used to it, and it is one of the bigger contracts out there. All staff would be TUPE'd over, standard in contracts like this. Hope they keep staff as there is some nice guys and girls out there
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Baxter Storey handled the catering for at least one large UK bank that I am familiar with. I was always very impressed by the quality of their operation there.

It is a shame that Do&CO were not picked for the CCR but I guess it would be difficult to fragment the catering provision across lounges.

The biggest failing in the lounges is the management of the staff. I would assume that Baxter Storey will sort this out with their own people.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Let's hope their culinary repertoire at BA's LHR T1 lounge extends beyond the current hot choice of lasagne or lasagne.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Very annoying, my shares in Compass have gone down!

Like Land of Miles, I am aware of Baxter Storey's catering, and have found it to be very good indeed, so the catering should be great in the lounges if they can maintain the standard I have encountered in the past.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They run our canteen and good isn't the word I'd use to describe them. Deeply mediocre but trying hard would be a better fit.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Let's hope their culinary repertoire at BA's LHR T1 lounge extends beyond the current hot choice of lasagne or lasagne.
Meat lasagne or veg lasagne. That is a choice!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
They run our canteen and good isn't the word I'd use to describe them. Deeply mediocre but trying hard would be a better fit.
Same could be said for Restaurant Associates. We call it the 'slop counter'
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Sodexho is worse. I am sure people visiting patients in NHS hospitals are admitted 2 hours later with food poisoning!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
New lounge catering contract

Is anything going to change?

From what i understand uk employment law forces the new contract holder to take on the existing employees
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
not that I am an expert in this area but,
I would assume that the F&B offering from any of these companies is going to be closely linked to the Budget BA gives them to work with. coupled with the same staff, i dont see much changing
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
My thoughts are pretty much the same. Staff canteen contract recently taken over and initial thoughts were trying hard but not much improvement. After a few months, still trying hard, quality back to the bad old days
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
not that I am an expert in this area but,
I would assume that the F&B offering from any of these companies is going to be closely linked to the Budget BA gives them to work with. coupled with the same staff, i dont see much changing
Some of the complaints relate to organization (or lack of it) e.g. Flounge burger & wedges frequently being served to you almost cold... sorting that kind of thing out doesn't necessarily need new staff or a bigger budget, surely?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:42 am

I think the service would be hard-pressed to get worse, especially in the Concorde Room, so I think this can only be a good thing.

Perhaps quite a lot of the feedback from us here has finally been noted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.