Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread gives details of the changeover of catering supplier to British Airways lounges in the UK in April to June 2013. The new supplier is BaxterStorey, taking over from Compass / Restaurant Associates. For details of the current catering arrangements in specific lounges please see below

LHR lounges - terminals 1, 3 and 5:
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2013 - T5 only
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
Galleries Club lounge LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5.
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights. This is due to change to BaxterStorey on 12 June 2013.

For the lounges in Gatwick and UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen:
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangments from April 2013

There's various methods to give feedback on the catering changes. These include:
  • The lounge guest book - comments left here are read by BA and BaxterStorey managers on site.
  • Twitter - tweet @British_Airways and @Baxter_Storey your experience at the time.
  • Through BA.com - its useful for BA to hear what you think whether you're a high tier point earner or just an occasional business class traveller.
  • Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - Note to this forum from BA Executive Club (which says they are monitoring feedback in that thread).
Print Wikipost

New lounge catering contract : BaxterStorey replaces Compass - eff 1 May 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Dan72
I think that's true of many restaurants too. As a business practice persuading your customers that what is provided is worth more than it actually costs to produce is key to generating a profit margin.

Not sure I follow the point about the restaurant definition. It is what it is, although apart from the absence of payment, the CCR dining room would meet most definitions of a restaurant. What's disputed here is how good it is. I'm not sure the semantic point helps us with that debate.
The point, I guess, is that you're kidding yourself if you think there will ever be food worthy of a Michelin restaurant in an airline lounge... My one experience in the CCR left me a very happy camper, so although I acknowledge that the service may be of variable quality (as, naturally, may the food), I cannot comment on having waited a long time for sub-standard food in the CCR.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pianoamit
The point, I guess, is that you're kidding yourself if you think there will ever be food worthy of a Michelin restaurant in an airline lounge... My one experience in the CCR left me a very happy camper, so although I acknowledge that the service may be of variable quality (as, naturally, may the food), I cannot comment on having waited a long time for sub-standard food in the CCR.
No-one apart from you compared BA lounges to a Michelin starred restaurant. The point made specifically re: the CCR was that it is restaurant style service. That is unquestionable.

I am not unhappy with the food choice it is what it is. I do however expect what it is to be served hot and the service itself to be acceptable. Service on a par with a good chain restaurant is absolutely achievable and realistic.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:35 am

Programs: IC RA
The quality of food has very little to do with the brand/caterer and far more to do with the budget. If you get paid Ł1.67 for a hot dinner, them expectations should be low.

Where I hope we'll se an improvement is in the staff motivation and service levels, but if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Much depends on the customers expectations as well. As we can see here there seems to be differing views from several frequent T5 lounge users. Some praise some don't....who is right?
I don't expect that much from the lounges. In fact I am very happy with the GC lounges. However, from my limited experience of the CCR, I can totally understand various posters being underwhelmed with it. I have had the famous burger. It was lukewarm and revolting. I have tried the Eggs Benedict and they didn't pass muster either. All-in-all the food simply isn't up to scratch.

The environment is a lot more pleasant but I found the service to be a bit indifferent - not bad but just so-so.

The CCR at JFK is miles better in every aspect ^ Even the F lounge at LGW was better service-wise.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:40 am

I've given up on eating in the CCR. These days, I tend to go through the magic white door, scan my BP, drop my roll aboard with the CCR cloakroom, scan my BP at the Flounge and help myself to what's on the slab in the refectory. Much better eats than the CCR.

Can't take a First Class only facility seriously if the white tablecloths have been enhanced away.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:42 am

The food is what it is, but it's the service that is frequently terrible. The simple fact is that it is very easy to get right. Pizza Express for the most part gets it right on pretty much every high street in the country.

I'm definitely not expecting Michelin levels of service, but basic high-street restaurant chain levels would be nice.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
The food is what it is, but it's the service that is frequently terrible. The simple fact is that it is very easy to get right. Pizza Express for the most part gets it right on pretty much every high street in the country.

I'm definitely not expecting Michelin levels of service, but basic high-street restaurant chain levels would be nice.
Quite right. It's basics like offering a drink the minute you sit down (I now get served at the bar and bring my own champers to the table for fear of ending up parched and listless as I peruse the menu).

Also, some of them are just miserable, but then having seen some of the appalling behaviour on the part of some passengers towards them, I'm not so surprised they look the way the do.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:21 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

The biggest failing in the lounges is the management of the staff. I would assume that Baxter Storey will sort this out with their own people.
Interesting comment. That has not been my experience in T5 GF, where I have always found the staff to be courteous, pleasant and efficient. (Other than the chef who persuaded me to eat the curry one day, which went through me on a TATL like a dose of salts! )

The managers have always been happy to chat, particularly when I have commented on one of their staff.

I echo the comments made about hoping the staff remain.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:26 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by squeeler
Interesting comment. That has not been my experience in T5 GF, where I have always found the staff to be courteous, pleasant and efficient.
The problem, as I see it, is the number of staff or the lack thereof. When it's quiet, you can get consistently decent service in GF. However, when it's busy, they are run off their feet and you can't easy get served and plates are not cleared away for ages.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Ouch, if the food is as bad as in our canteen, I might switch to *A, but let's see...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by Dan72
I wonder what changes there will be if any at Gatwick. I understand that the kitchen space there restricts what they can be offered, but the new contract may be an opportunity for BA to address some of the imbalance.
The Gatwick lounge offerings (Club, not F) are an utter embarrassment, so hopefully this will improve the offering somewhat.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Ouch, if the food is as bad as in our canteen, I might switch to *A, but let's see...
With the exception of the staff management issues I doubt much will be changing. It's unlikely that the budget will have risen much (in fact if the tender was as competitive as the article suggests it's likely that the budget may have dropped, in which case we can look forward to a dreaded 'efficiency drive'). If BA are paying for rubbish then that's what they'll get.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sigma421
With the exception of the staff management issues I doubt much will be changing. It's unlikely that the budget will have risen much (in fact if the tender was as competitive as the article suggests it's likely that the budget may have dropped, in which case we can look forward to a dreaded 'efficiency drive'). .
Wouldn't surprise me....in todays world of economic downturns around every corner can we really expect top notch service and grub in every lounge?

Better to spread the budget across all the lounges rather than concentrate it all on one I would say.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

If anything here your claims of consistently good service seem to be the anomaly.
I think the CCR experience depends on:

1. Where you sit. The Terrace is the "must be ignored" zone.
2. What you order. Stuff that has no choice but to be cooked freshly tends to turn up while hot.
3. Who you get in the dining area. There is a bunch of them who remember me and are rather attentive (although everyone should get good service). I have been pretty lucky overall.

Food delivery can be pretty slow though, so if I'm in a hurry, I hop off to the GF. I was having a chat with GF guardians and was saying that there should be a small buffet area in the CCR for those in a hurry.

Originally Posted by DWFI
I wonder why he didn't go with Do&Co, who (at least with TK and IST) are absolutely stellar. Is it a cost problem?
I do wish they went with Do&Co. They already provide some catering to BA - I think CE hot meals and potted puddings, if I rememebr correctly, and I recall at least some of the catering at the Taste of London BA tent.

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Ha ha, you haven't seen the food on offer at Star Alliance LHR T1 lounge in that case?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think the CCR experience depends on:

1. Where you sit. The Terrace is the "must be ignored" zone.
2. What you order. Stuff that has no choice but to be cooked freshly tends to turn up while hot.
3. Who you get in the dining area. There is a bunch of them who remember me and are rather attentive (although everyone should get good service). I have been pretty lucky overall ...
I agree with all that. I never sit out in The Terrace, always inside. For the most part I'll not wait more than a couple or so minutes to be offered a drink. If I'm particularly thirsty, I'll go to the bar myself.

The food can be on the warm side, but not always. Some slate the burger but my son loves them. A couple of guests I've taken to the CCR also have commented on them being tasty - including an American FTer! I don't mind them myself, but I'm not a big burger fan.

In the Dinning Room, yes there is usually a short wait. I suppose waiting time is a relative matter, what may be long to one person may be just about right for another who is simply passing the time away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.