Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
No you can earn BA Gold without ever flying on a BA aircraft.

I've probably flown BA more times than many Golds on here so there.
How come? I thought they enforce their rule quite strictly
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by T8191
It's interesting to see you choose BA, given your globe-trotting trail of disruption. Should we encourage you to fly with someone else, once the BA LTG kicks in for you?
Ha ha, no... The thing is, BA, unlike QF, have not managed to completely and utterly annoy me. Sure, they have caused me some minor annoyances, but not much. QF annoyed me big time on a number of occasions. So, I basically "used" QF's system to my advantage and as soon as I gained it, I left.

But to what "advantage" I do not know. I get everything I get from QF LTG and more, from BA Gold. However I suppose I liked the idea that when I am 97 years old and only fly once a year I could still have more luggage than my body weight and not pay extra for excess baggage. That is, if QF still exist.

Maybe EK status is actually the best benefit of my QF LTG, but this was not planned, and neither am I particularly planning to fly EK.

In any case I'm against lifetime BA Gold. It should definitely go no further than lifetime BA Silver.

As for the lifetime status based on continuous years of a certain tier - I firmly believe it should only ever be based on one's own earned TPs. Why should my husband, should I choose to gift him the BA Gold, be earning lifetime BA status without having attained a status himself? No, I see no reason for that at all.

I also don't see any reason why it should be OW-wide. Why should BA be paying potentially for life for AA Admirals Club access for someone who earns most BAEC TPs from flying AA?

If I could suggest something to BA, it would be 20,000 lifetime TPs earned from BA flights and BA flights only, for BA lifetime Silver, if that, although I wouldn't even offer a lifetime status at all, in fact.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by JALlover
How come? I thought they enforce their rule quite strictly
BA marketed flights qualify towards 4. So no, you do not need to be flying on BA aircraft (= BA metal).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It isn't given per se is it? BA pay AA for each entry.
I think I had read somewhere, that actually it's the operating airline that has to pay. So for example, if you are a BA Gold, flying a QF aircraft, and you use the CX lounge, then QF pays CX, as QF is the one getting the benefit of the loyalty this time.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:27 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Indeed Starwood hotels started a lifetime status scheme less than 12 months ago. Prior to the launch of the new SPG scheme no lifetime stays/nights were shown. Now they show back to my join date in 2002.
I was going to raise the starwood point, i have been platinum for 10 plus years but during the last year or so we had decided that this is the last time we will try and keep the status as we are lucky enough to have 2 holiday homes and travel for leisure, then with a bit of luck we were awarded the Lifetime status - which i think is going to be in Starwood's interest as had we dropped down to gold I probably would not have considered returning to starwood properties as it would be a bit sad having been regally welcomed with a suite each time to just get a small upgrade, but now our loyalties will remain with starwood wherever possible and since gaining the status stay around 30 nights (32 last year) and they are all paid staysin high end properties as we transfer starpoints to BA or Virgin - having said that however the programme has been diluted with not just Lifetimes like myself but now status can be achieved much more easily, ie reward nights count as well as multiple bookings so we ll wait and see, but the same could be said for BA, as someone pointed out, if you choose not to be loyal to BA it is probably because the destinations do not suit as you have to use BA to get the benefits, and if you are not using the lounges well nobody loses. I do agree that the Lifetime should have conditions, such as only BA metal
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
I think I had read somewhere, that actually it's the operating airline that has to pay. So for example, if you are a BA Gold, flying a QF aircraft, and you use the CX lounge, then QF pays CX, as QF is the one getting the benefit of the loyalty this time.
That is the case I think if lounge entry comes as a result of class of travel, e.g. CX F passenger using BA lounge. Status passenger costs accrue to the airline that issued the status, so a CX Diamond flyng AY in Y from T3 and using the BA Flounge would have the costs of lounge access paid to BA by CX not AY.

Obviously there is a margin here where a passenger could have their costs met either by status airline or operating airline (for J or F Passengers).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:41 am

Is there a timeline here, or is this all guff and bluster?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oscietra
Others have posted H1 2013. Certainly it was something being worked at the time of the Avios changes.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by stevea1234
Originally Posted by jonboy73
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Of course all depends how long a lifetime is. Legally.
Not that long as virgin lifetime silvers found, or as some prems have found - I ve seen at least one black card snipped in half in the ccr entrance.
EEk, That would be more than a bit embarrasing!

Could you expand on the virgin point for those of us that don't know?
I would be interested in this also. Virgin is our preferred company policy, but manage to fly BA now for most flights (price is often cheaper on BA).

A couple of colleagues are Virgin life time gold. No idea what the criteria was for getting it.
Well Randolph Fields was the co founder of Virgin Atlantic and when Branson (no Knighthood back then) bought him out he offered him and his family free lifetime Upper Class travel as part of the deal. Branson then went back on that arrangement and Fields had to take him to court to get Branson to be forced to honour it. Not quite the same but gives you an early example. Read the Branson book by Tom Bower (which is a really good read) for the full story.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by oscietra
You should have figured out by now that the length of a thread here in the BA forum is in inverse proportion to the amount of useful factual information it actually contains.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I was going to raise the starwood point, i have been platinum for 10 plus years but during the last year or so we had decided that this is the last time we will try and keep the status as we are lucky enough to have 2 holiday homes and travel for leisure, then with a bit of luck we were awarded the Lifetime status - which i think is going to be in Starwood's interest as had we dropped down to gold I probably would not have considered returning to starwood properties as it would be a bit sad having been regally welcomed with a suite each time to just get a small upgrade, but now our loyalties will remain with starwood wherever possible and since gaining the status stay around 30 nights (32 last year) and they are all paid staysin high end properties as we transfer starpoints to BA or Virgin - having said that however the programme has been diluted with not just Lifetimes like myself but now status can be achieved much more easily, ie reward nights count as well as multiple bookings so we ll wait and see, but the same could be said for BA, as someone pointed out, if you choose not to be loyal to BA it is probably because the destinations do not suit as you have to use BA to get the benefits, and if you are not using the lounges well nobody loses. I do agree that the Lifetime should have conditions, such as only BA metal
I think that's the longest sentence I have ever read on FT
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:48 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
You should have figured out by now that the length of a thread here in the BA forum is in inverse proportion to the amount of useful factual information it actually contains.
Oh so true!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
You're learning fast about this board

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think that's the longest sentence I have ever read on FT
Fixed.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie76

Well Randolph Fields was the co founder of Virgin Atlantic and when Branson (no Knighthood back then) bought him out he offered him and his family free lifetime Upper Class travel as part of the deal. Branson then went back on that arrangement and Fields had to take him to court to get Branson to be forced to honour it. Not quite the same but gives you an early example. Read the Branson book by Tom Bower (which is a really good read) for the full story.
I reckon that WW should offer SRB the first lifetime gold, it will come in handy for him when he needs to get to places his own airline doesn't fly to (most of the world).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.