Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lifetime loyalty programme soon to be introduced

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I think it will be measured by Avios. Though by years wouldn't be too bad! (@10 years, I could have lifetime Gold by the time I'm 26 )
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
I think it will be measured by Avios.
Great. So all the Tesco and Amex collectors get lifetime status? Surely it would be based on TPs/years at status level.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I agree, it makes better sense to measure TP's. (with all those promotions for Avios in the 100,000's and everything)

Don't know how I forgot about that!

But I am looking forward to it, I just hope the requirements aren't as crazy as the ones AY released last year... 5M Points for lifetime Platinum (OWE) which is 34 years of renewing Platinum

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Jan 21, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I remain unconvinced by this. Surely the lounges are crowded enough with those who fly once in a blue moon?
What strange logic! I have to say its pretty unlikely that someone obtaining lifetime status via years of regular travel (where they would have already had access) and using their 'perk' for leisure travel in retirement / outside of business use would in future clog the lounge - and strongly suspect they don't at the moment.

For most, the novelty of free canteen food and an open bar wears off very quickly. There is a subset of people, whom I would hazard don't actually travel that often, that often clog the lounge by attempting to 'maximise' and 'get the most from' their time in the lounge... arriving hours early, moving around eating and drinking as much as they can.

A topic for another thread no doubt but if you couldn't enter until say 3 hours before your scheduled departure time - I would suspect the lounges would have room for *all* to grab a quick drink and bite to eat before boarding and allowing those who have spent years earning their status to continue some of the benefits they previously enjoyed when they get to a stage in life where they only travel one in a blue moon.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed.

There'll be a blue moon on the 18th May this year.
No your wrong the next blue moon is 31st July 2015

See here

Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Blenz101
What strange logic! I have to say its pretty unlikely that someone obtaining lifetime status via years of regular travel (where they would have already had access) and using their 'perk' for leisure travel in retirement / outside of business use would in future clog the lounge - and strongly suspect they don't at the moment.

For most, the novelty of free canteen food and an open bar wears off very quickly. There is a subset of people, whom I would hazard don't actually travel that often, that often clog the lounge by attempting to 'maximise' and 'get the most from' their time in the lounge... arriving hours early, moving around eating and drinking as much as they can.

A topic for another thread no doubt but if you couldn't enter until say 3 hours before your scheduled departure time - I would suspect the lounges would have room for *all* to grab a quick drink and bite to eat before boarding and allowing those who have spent years earning their status to continue some of the benefits they previously enjoyed when they get to a stage in life where they only travel one in a blue moon.
^ Very well said
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
It will definitely be lifetime TP or years at a particular status level.
Few other options are feasible.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At last. Looking forward to seeing what baubles are on offer with 12 years Gold, around 30,000 lifetime TP in the bank AND not a single mile earned via Tesco.

The logic is twofold I guess . Encourage loyalty now by giving a long term goal and ensure you are the first port of call for airline spend once LT status is in the bag.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If they were to reward loyalty, surely it will be GGL at 10 years, for example?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:02 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by csdavidson
If they were to reward loyalty, surely it will be GGL at 10 years, for example?
According to my estimates, that would be an exceedingly small base to work from...representing roughly 0.25% of the active BAEC membership in any given year and considerably smaller for GGL's that maintain it over 10 years.

I do not profess to know the percentage or actual number of lifetime status holders (at the top level) of other programs but if anyone did have that info it could help to guess the TP or years and numbers of Golds that could get this...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I hope they make it "based on TPs earned on BA only" and also not based on years of status

After all lifetime status isn't a OW benefit.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by layz
Someone in the forum mentioned that BA once offered lifetime (silver?) status and then cancelled the benefit so I'd say you'd need some assurance that they're serious about this benefit if you're starting from 0 years.

They did iirc. istr Those that had silver by virtue of paid membership were finally given lifetime free membership which was unceremoniusly removed soon afterwards
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Out of interest, what are the requirements for lifetime status on AA and QF?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Prospero
On AA, 1 million BIS flown miles (on AA or OW airlines) for lifetime Gold (OW Ruby) and 2 million BIS flown miles for lifetime Platinum (OW Sapphire). No lifetime Executive Platinum (OW Emerald). The change to BIS miles is fairly recent - it used to be that any miles that counted towards your RDM balance would count, which made things a lot easier. The downside of the current system is that it doesn't differentiate between Y, J, or F travelers. You make the exact same progress towards lifetime status when on the same itinerary, regardless of class.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Prospero
QF:
7,000 status credits for Ruby (QF Silver)
14,000 status credits for Sapphire (QF Gold)

SCs are roughly along the lines of TPs.

To me, this is far too low.

However 14,000 is roughly the SCs required to maintain QF Platinum for 10 years (1,500 to qualify, 1,200 to maintain, from memory).

There is no lifetime Emerald (QF Platinum). I don't think there should be either. Lifetime Sapphire should be enough incentive and it can even be a disincentive for loyalty purposes later on (especially during working life) if they offered Lifetime Emerald to be honest. It makes it easier for people to feel comfortable flying Star Alliance because their 'top level' OW status is already secured for life.

Loyalty aspects did not work for me at all. As soon as I got LTG, I jumped ship to BA.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 21, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.