Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Awesome as the young use the word today and not as I was taught to use it.

Clearly we have some people with very high disposable income to have £1500 or so to spend at the drop of a hat on a weekend or to go to Seoul in the depths of winter.

I'm not sure if I am shocked or impressed. I do wonder sometimes what outsiders (lurkers?) casually perusing this Forum would make of this.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stez
I paid £1390 for the F out, and £640 J return including a domestic connection. There was the option to pay £726 each way if it was in J only. But selecting F reduces the J outbound to £640.
Yes, you have a normal sale fare. The special fare is 777 all in, return, but on the very restricted outbound dates (with a Saturday night stay).
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Clearly we have some people with very high disposable income to have £1500 or so to spend at the drop of a hat on a weekend or to go to Seoul in the depths of winter.

I'm not sure if I am shocked or impressed. I do wonder sometimes what outsiders (lurkers?) casually perusing this Forum would make of this.
I save annually for this kind of thing for when BA do special offers in Nov/Dec. Like others, I always wanted to visit Seoul, but never had an opportunity to do so.

Bah, I didn't realise it was a normal sale fare, but never mind, I was happy to pay for that.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Well.....I am kind of semi-trembling with excitement now or looking back nervously thinking what the hell have I done...BUT I have booked a weekend in Seoul on the £777 CW offer...out on Friday 7th Dec (arrive Sat am) and departing Sunday 9th Dec am (arrive same day LHR in the afternoon)...Up for joining a do if anyone else is!

Just need a hotel for the night now!

This, together with a £1200 LCY-JFK trip to see a friend booked earlier this week will now get me to Gold, in all 700TP for just under £2k ^^ (Recognise not as good a deal as doing transamerican flights on AA or several CE trips in Europe but I do get to go longhaul CW to some destinations I actually want! )
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:49 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Many many thanks to BApilotinsider for this heads up

Can't believe it but I managed to book it - just wish the inaugural flight was sooner!!! Would have left on the Fri or the Sat

Btw - completely OT (kind of..) - If I want to connect to a CX flight how long should I leave? If this flight arrives at 855 will a 1020 connection be OK

My bags will be tagged OK correct?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
big thanks to OP for the heads up!

yesterday i booked out in F, back in J, for £2200 14th Dec - 5th jan (same price as stez, normal sale fare)

today rebooked 13th Dec - 4th jan, for £992 and used the 30k miles to upgradios the outbound to F,

massive result!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:54 am

Maybe we should be looking at OZ for their response!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BotB
A fellow FT'er and I are booked on the BA17 out on Friday, the 7th Dec and coming back on Sunday, the 9th on the BA18.

Anyone else? Maybe we can make an FT DO out of this...
The iWife is pondering the madness of the concept at the moment. Looks bloody cold, though. I suspect that will be the big turn-off.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by nh1980
Well.....I am kind of semi-trembling with excitement now or looking back nervously thinking what the hell have I done...BUT I have booked a weekend in Seoul on the £777 CW offer...out on Friday 7th Dec (arrive Sat am) and departing Sunday 9th Dec am (arrive same day LHR in the afternoon)...Up for joining a do if anyone else is!
I just booked the same, see you in the lounge!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stez
Bah, I didn't realise it was a normal sale fare, but never mind, I was happy to pay for that.
I too thought the normal sale fare was excellent - this one is exceptional I still think you've got a good deal either way.

Unfortunately (I do like Seoul, having been several times for work) I can't make the dates work for this due to an existing trip at the start of the travel period, and then already having booked a cheeky IST in the CE sale at the end of the period. So I have no free Saturday nights in the sale period, or I'd have booked it too.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hmm, I'm open for either a longish weekend or ideally new year's.

Let's see what's still available now that you vultures have had your pick.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by nux
I just booked the same, see you in the lounge!
For sure - in the CCR? I just upgraded my flight out with Avios, making the trip now Avios neutral (after earning the Avios for the flight and Amex) - I need to stop looking so smug or my office colleagues will slap me.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Blasted! What a good deal. Shame that I have a baby to take care of and we are flying out
to PHX on the 13th of December. I somehow doubt my wife would be keen on me jetting of
for the weekend. Not that I don't deserve it mind

H
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
They would think we are bonkers and they would be right well that's what my work colleagues thought when I booked the Friday off for a day trip to Seoul!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Seems like there's complete availability for all the dates mentioned. Very tempted, but my common sense instinct seems unusually strong today, which is a shame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.