Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
What to do? I get back from LAX 3rd or 4th and am due to go to JFK (with Jr Tobias for our annual Christmas visit) on the 11th. It'd be great to meet up for a 3 day lounge and South Korean FT 'Do' but not sure I'd want to be getting on another bloody plane!

I'll sleep on it and discuss it with SWMBO. Those going on the 7th, where are you staying?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:25 am

OMG OMG!!! This is unbelievable! And there is reward availability MUC-LHR-MUC on the 7th and 9th!

Would it be too ridiculous to visit Seoul twice in the space of two weeks?? Will be there for four days at the end of Nov! :-O It's killing me!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by nh1980
Booked accom now in the Grand Intercontinental Seoul for the 8th - I did this through booking.com as I hadn't realised there was a 10k offer when I booked my flight.

Good to see 7 on the weekender, keep them coming! I am yet to meet another FT member or attend a do, so all the more exciting it comes on an opportunity like this ^
^ sounds like a good choice, seems the IC's are preferred for this group...

Also wasn't aware of the 10k additional Avios for the holiday booking but not too bothered as I have plenty of hotel points as well personally

Looks like I'll book one of the IC's as well and hope that helps with taxi sharing, etc...(or is everyone taking the train?)

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What to do? I get back from LAX 3rd or 4th and am due to go to JFK (with Jr Tobias for our annual Christmas visit) on the 11th. It'd be great to meet up for a 3 day lounge and South Korean FT 'Do' but not sure I'd want to be getting on another bloody plane!

I'll sleep on it and discuss it with SWMBO. Those going on the 7th, where are you staying?
...resistance is futile...

Appears mostly IC's but I think the Conrad is also being considered.

Originally Posted by QFBoy
OMG OMG!!! This is unbelievable! And there is reward availability MUC-LHR-MUC on the 7th and 9th!

Would it be too ridiculous to visit Seoul twice in the space of two weeks?? Will be there for four days at the end of Nov! :-O It's killing me!
You don't really need an answer to the bolded bit do you? For this kind of money and TP / Avios deal...I can't imagine anything being ridiculous enough NOT to take advantage! Hope you'll join the party!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:37 am

Damn, what an incredable deal!

Anyone fancy a child, whist mum and I hang in Seoul for a few days??
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Only seems to be 1 seat left in CW for outbound on the 8th Dec.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:46 am

We're staying at the Conrad, mainly because the suite sq meterage is nearly bigger than my house...

Happy to guest whoever to the CCR, but MMB is showing only the Galleries at the moment... which I'm hoping is a temporary glitch.

I don't think that the temps look that chilly T8191 - but then we're off to Svalbard in Feb, so it will feel positively tropical in comparison!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Oh sod it. Am going to ask boss if I can have that weekend off (my working week effectively runs Thursday- Monday)
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by BotB
^ sounds like a good choice, seems the IC's are preferred for this group...

Also wasn't aware of the 10k additional Avios for the holiday booking but not too bothered as I have plenty of hotel points as well personally

Looks like I'll book one of the IC's as well and hope that helps with taxi sharing, etc...(or is everyone taking the train?)

Appears mostly IC's but I think the Conrad is also being considered.
The rooms in the Conrad looked amazing but in the end I went for IC as it seems a bit more in town and I think Conrad is in the financial district. The suite booking I have is cancellable until the day before so that allows me to continue to look around for something better, if needed.

Seoul has been particularly topical in the last few months thanks to this chap (surprised no-one has brought this up!) I wonder how close to reality it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by CreativeBill
I don't think that the temps look that chilly T8191 - but then we're off to Svalbard in Feb, so it will feel positively tropical in comparison!
We need a bit of heat for our old bones - we don't like winter/cold/rain/children, and really need something warmer at this time of year
Besides which, SWMBO isn't a drinker, which I suspect this will evolve into
And it's a long way to go to be cold, and foreign, and pi$$ed for a day or so. Best left to you young ones!

I will contemplate exilencfc's idea about mIwife, but it doesn't sit easily with the iMac, iPads, iPod and iCar … and iWife (™). It seems a shame to break up the set, when there's just a iPhone to go to call … BINGO!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
More F, more Seoul

First and foremost: Thanks to BApilotinsider for posting about this on FT (we all owe you a drink or two at the least!) ^

So far it seems we have the following FT'ers travelling this route in Dec...(sale fare of £ 777 for CW return is valid for dates between Dec 2 and Dec 13);

Dec 2: terminalfive (CW out)

Dec 6: jaguarpig+1 (F out)

The Weekend Day trip planes

Dec 7: 7 FT'ers BotB, CreativeBill+1, nh1980, nux, thundercat, TopGunner, (4 in F, BotB, thundercat, TopGunner in CW...oh no, we're slumming it apparently!)

Dec 8: Berbound (F out)

Dec 9 (back): 7 FT'ers BotB, jaguarpig+1, nh1980, nux, terminalfive, thundercat (nux, jaguarpig in F, rest of us slumming in CW )

Dec 10: Berbound (F back)

Dec 11 (back): 3 FT'ers CreativeBill+1, TopGunner, (CreativeBill in F, TopGunner in CW)

Dec 13: jonboy73 (F out)

Dec 29: Stez (F out)

Jan 1 (back): Stez (CW back)

Jan 4 (back): jonboy73 (CW back)

Maigret is booked as well...sounds like 7th out....but staying longer!

Hoping we'll bring rxfleming, exilencfc and Habemuspapam within the fold soon enough as well...

That makes 14 FT'ers that we know of so far...
The desire to secure that F seat drove me to reconsider my plans, I am now taking the flight on the 6th to secure UuA into First today. I will miss the party plane, but I should live, unless of course Rev Mgmt opens up some seats between now and my 24hr cancellation window.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by QFBoy

Oh, fellow MUC person - don't forget to register for the bonus Avios promotion. Those 2 ICN trips will also get you an 82,000 bonus.

Cheap J flights, crazy amounts of Avios awarded, no wonder there's no decent award availability

Don't you chaps just love this game?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
First and foremost: Thanks to BApilotinsider for posting about this on FT (we all owe you a drink or two at the least!) ^

Dec 11 (back): 3 FT'ers CreativeBill+1, TopGunner, (everyone back in F)

You can still book until the 16th! C'mon....you know you want to...(I must go to Korea)^

Several thinking of joining the madness...Yes, it is mad but just TRY to wipe the smile off our faces
BotB thanks for keeping up the list. Minor correction, I am back on Dec. 10, still have to put in some office time before "holiday" travel begins.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Oh, fellow MUC person - don't forget to register for the bonus Avios promotion. Those 2 ICN trips will also get you an 82,000 bonus.

Cheap J flights, crazy amounts of Avios awarded, no wonder there's no decent award availability

Don't you chaps just love this game?
If you go, I'll go!
Meet you at the MUC Lounge on the 7th!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Fare and award availability as of 5.45pm

Running some dummy bookings on the BA site - others may have better sources:

I class Fares (£777 return)
Availability of CW I class fares (£389 o/w) out to ICN: For the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th looks like still decent availability (I tried up to 5 seats). From Saturday 8th to Tues 11th, only R class (£2,371!) available

Availability of CW I class fares (£389 o/w back to LHR): Decent availability (again tried for 5 people) for the 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th (4 places on the 12th)

UuA/MFU:
The best value is if you can get it to upgrade from CW (I) to First - the price difference is about £2500 or 30k Avios (for one leg). Using the 30k Avios to upgrade from WT+ to CW (for both legs) is much less attractive as its 30k Avios + c.£650 (meaning your 30k Avios only covers about £130 of value vs. the I class fare). If CW-> F not possible then just enjoy the cheap TPs and bumper mileage!!

F availability (LHR-ICN outbound): 3rd (4 seats), 4th (3 seats), 9th (4 seats), 10th (4), 11th (4)

F availability (ICN-LHR inbound): 4th (4), 5th (4), 7th (3), 8th (4), 12th (4)

Last edited by nh1980; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:57 am Reason: Added more info
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by nh1980
Running some dummy bookings on the BA site - others may have better sources:
I wonder whether she'd let me go on my own? Oh, this is so tempting.

[Quick answer was no. Buggrit.]

Last edited by T8191; Nov 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.