Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Now that I'm married and just back from honeymoon I'd be happy to go, if one of you kind flyertalkers wouldn't mind paying and clearing it with mrs cornishsimon that is !!

Hope you all have a fantastic time, and I just wish I had the money to go, sadly I don't after my oz adventures !!

cs
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: A Gold, BD Silver, BA Club Platinum Royal Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold
I am also going out on 07/12 and back on 09/12 in J.

I am only a scummy Bronze, so would be grateful for an invite to the Flounge or CCR.

Will be nice to meet some new faces^
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Heathrow 777
I am also going out on 07/12 and back on 09/12 in J.

I am only a scummy Bronze, so would be grateful for an invite to the Flounge or CCR.

Will be nice to meet some new faces^
I heard a rumour that the CCR is going to be invaded by a horde of lunatics that day, so GF probably safer (they'll drink the place dry in 10 minutes!)

They should probably warn YouFirst to hire some extra staff too...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:54 pm

Seoul is a fantastic city and it is insanely cheap! Just do not expect many people to speak English. I found it fun to decode the Korean (I can speak and read not a word) in restaurants using a list in a Korean food guide book, and at the night markets, you can get food from stalls simply by pointing. The foreigner's district is also packed at the weekends, and nobody stops in time for the last train.

It is "Visit Korea Year" (and has been since 2010) so you can find lots of offers, including free coach trips to other cities, here:

http://english.visitkoreayear.com/english/main.asp

If you are considering booking flights at these unbelievable prices, I say go for it!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BotB
Wouldn't worry...AFAIK all the 772's on this route will be NF and have 14 F seats as per the graphic in the first post...MMB graphics can be wonky sometimes...(and if you feel really bad about it...you can always trade for my CW seat before we board! )
It will be 12 seats in F and NF, there being no 3A or 4A.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:19 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
If anyone is a fan of the musician 'Sting' and is looking for an excuse to go he plays in Seoul on December 5th.

I'm still undecided because I want to pick up the connection from LBA but that service doesn't start operating until December 9th.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
All 777s on this route have 12F seats. All 4 class G-YMM* aircraft have 12 NF seats.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gfl / GGL + CCR , Amex Platinum, Amex BA Premium Plus
I've booked this as well - out on the 8th, back on the 10th, in F both ways, so please add me to the list : )
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Myself + Mrs JAT out 6th back 9th CW
Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:57 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for the updates everyone ^, I've updated the first post accordingly with the info and links and added the people that have decided to join us...we are now 23 strong and have 10 going out on the 7th Dec and 11 coming back on the 9th Dec...

They best stock up on the Champers and bacon butties...

Please do keep posting any further info/corrections/updates. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:06 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
25 Internet, Phones, Apps

We are a mobile, online, connected generation…right?

Internet

Korea is one of the most connected countries on Earth…

If you are in a hotel, you'll need to ask about whether the access is wired or wireless and what (if any) costs are involved.

Typically the hotels are becoming more and more wireless.

For the rest of the time…Roaming charges are likely to be steep and you can't simply swap out the SIM card in your phones…(but there are options here, see phones below).

So what to do?

Look for signs of 'PC' or 'PC-bang' everywhere…this is the sign (apparently) for an internet cafe. The typical rates are around 1,500 won per hour for wireless access.

Many cafes have wireless access as well. (I'm just not sure if you need to pay for it)…

Phones

Generally I am talking the mobile variety here…

Korea is on a 3G network so you need a compatible phone, then you need to be willing to pay the roaming charges which can be VERY steep, please check with your provider for what options are available to you while in Seoul so you don't get any surprises later on.

You may need to switch on 3 G connectivity on your phone if it is not automatic. Also be aware that generally 3 G draws far more power so you may need to charge your phone each night.

You can't simply get a local SIM card and swap yours around apparently. (not sure why though)…

You can rent smart phones at the airport for reasonable rates of around 4,000 won / day. Apparently you can also rent them from top end hotels for slightly more money if you wish and don't wish to get one right away at the airport.

Apps that may be useful

If you have an iPad/iPhone the following free apps may be useful to you:

Korean Phrasebook (iPhone) (pay for extra phrases but you can get the most important for free)

Subway Korea (iPhone)

iTour Seoul (iPad) - has some great PDF travel guides

Tripadvisor city guide for Seoul (along with many other cities elsewhere in the world with walks and recommended trips. Just don't take the restaurant ranking too seriously. Krispy Kreme are often in their top 10.)

They have food tours and all sorts of tours. It is very detailed and the map can be used offline.

Last edited by BotB; Dec 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm Reason: replaced original post to use as placeholder for 25 Mobiles and Internet
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can't believe I'm the first one to ask this... Any good TP runs out of ICN?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Great to see the FT response

I am currently sitting here in the Skyteam Lounge on my way to the good ol US of A, yes I know its not BA but sometimes money rules and am really pleased to see the fantastic response from FTers for this trip.

I just hope they do not run out of the Bolly Rose in the FLounge when we all arrive on the 7th.

Well done to BotB on the update of the first post, very informative.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:14 am

OMG, what have I started here! I've unleashed a FT monster....
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
CW Cabin on way back now has no window seats left, I guess that means the cabin is surrounded by FT'ers at every port what a fantastic response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.