Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I just tried the BA holiday thing (CW flight + hotel) and it comes in at a tad under Ł2900! No availabilty on the dates I tried (8th-10th Dec)?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:09 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Where did everything go? See the wikipost at the top of this thread for the organisational overview and links to all the relevant info throughout this thread.

02 The 79 Fters that are "launching this route"

In alphabetical order: (Twitter names behind in brackets)

ajm1972
Alinlondon
ANother+1
Arbeiter2
Berbound
BotB (@FTBotB)
Christickler
Circumknowitall
CreativeBill+1
CX251
Dave_C
djc31
drdrh
FF+1
hb133+2
Heathrow 777
Hippo72
HKGorBust
Irish lad
Jacaranda+1
jaguarpig+1
JAT74L+1
jonboy73 (@jonboy73ft)
justjack0
justjack0's friend
KARFA
kenomi
lorcancoyle
LX64A332
Marcus1967
mgo72
Miagret
mogoy
neildibiase
nh1980
nickyjames+1
NordicMaster
nth_utsera_sth_utsera
nux
paffendorf
papabear (@papabearflyer)
passy777
PETER01
pjcallanan
qwest01+5
rapidex
richlondon+1
rrrrrich
SDF
se1lad
Stez
Temppa+1
terminalfive
thedreamliner
thundercat (@adsthundercat)
Tobias-UK+1 (@UKTobias)
TopGunner+1
travellertales+1
UTA_flyinghigh
walkingtall

Honorable mentions

FLT001 was booked to come but had to bail out at the last minute...sorry you can't join us.
armagebedar is taking advantage of the reverse route as part of a bigger itinerary and bagged a good deal

Last edited by BotB; Dec 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm Reason: Removed original post to use as placeholder for wikipost link 02
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
You got me! Just booked 7th and 10th off work and checking out hotels now before pulling trigger - nytimes piece from 2010, 36 hours in Seoul, may be quite useful!

I may need to ask some kind person (pun resisted) to guest me into CCR though!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I hope you all have a great time!

I am gutted that I cannot come along!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Any poug offers? You never know...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
I suspect the holiday booking has a Saturday night stipulation or at least a fixed amount of days? (So to check this try a 7th outbound and a 10th return)...that would be the Saturday night bit...

T & C"s would mention both...once you got that far into a dummy booking.

HTH
My year ends on the 8th Dec so I would assume a flight on the 7th Dec wouldn't be beneficial TP wise.

I could fly CW, stay in the Conrad, buy 10k Avois and still have well over Ł1k left if done separately!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul

Dec 3: The first flight actually arrives…

Dec 4:

justjack0 is:
- I plan on just getting my bearings in the area / some general sightseeing or perhaps a walking tour - anyone else around?

Dec 5:

If you like the musician Sting, he is playing in Seoul on this date.

justjack0+1 are:
-General Sightseeing during the day
-Lotte World (World's Largest Indoor Theme Park) - after 4pm is cheaper and open until 11pm so plenty of time to enjoy the rides.

CAlex is
- sightseeing during the day, probably to include Seoul Tower and central area
- Sting concert on this night
- Staying at Conrad on this night
-PM if you are interested in meeting up...

SDF is up for meeting other FTers and any joint tours, etc...

Dec 6:

CAlex is:
- doing more sightseeing inthe morning/early afternoon. Interested in food tours or anything else fun and/or interesting in Seoul
- shopping in Seoul in afternoon.
- no plans yet, but intention to check out a club on this night. Can move this to 7th, if others want to join or have better suggestions
- staying at IC Parnas on this night
- PM if interested....

justjack0+1 are:
-DMZ Tour TBC - have emailed the company recommended but still awaiting their response.

Dec 7:

nth_utsera_sth_utsera is up for a visit to the fish market quite early in the morning...anyone wish to join?

Papabear is here and has posted: I'm almost certainly going to the DMZ when there, and probably some war museums. Also I hope to spend some time to do some night photography with the tripod so if anyone shares similar interests it would be cool to hook up. So if any of that is of interest during the 7/8/9/10th then please get in touch with him or post on the thread please!

CAlex is doing:
- DMZ + 3rd tunnel tour, until 16hrs. It is booked already, it is in English and starts at 08:00. We booked here: http://www.koreadmztour.com/en/program/?p_url=program_2
- if weather is not a killer, will join Papabear for some night photography with a tripod. Will probably mix this with some hot tea or other soul-warming drinks
- staying at IC Parnas on this night
-PM if interested...

justjack0+1 are:
-Skiing (depending if there is any snow?) Jisan Forest Ski Resort

Dec 8:

See the proposed Itinerary...let me know if you agree or wish to modify it please...also which of the options mentioned for exploring during the afternoon are of most interest to you. The Itinerary is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19731052-post599.html

BotB, drdrh, nh1980, NordicMaster, nux, PETER01, SDF and thundercat will be following this itinerary....let us know if you wish to join us! (PM or post on the thread)

CreativeBill+1, Jacaranda+1, justjack0+1, Temppa+1 and Heathrow 777, papabear and UTA_flyinghigh will be joining the BotB group for the BBQ and maybe for the nightlife afterwards as well. Passy777 will join us after the DMZ tour and once loosened up...likely around the Gangnam video time frame...

That makes us a party of 19 for the Korean BBQ and up to 20 for the nightlife so far...join us is you dare! Everyone welcome! ^ (I haven't included nme7 or anyone else that may join us from outside the group!) so likely 1 more at least to these numbers...

We will try to do a FT Gangnam style video to be posted here later…well, once we are suitably liquid one understands...CreativeBill has some good ideas on how to do this but I don't want to give away too much until we have done the video.

A gauntlet has been thrown down by the group from the second weekend trip...

KARFA mentioned on the other thread that there has been talk of a Gangnam style parody video. Surely there's potential here for a competion between the 1st weekenders and the 2nd weekenders?

In other news...on the 8th...

nickyjames+1 and passy777 are going on the same DMZ tour. Do you wish to join them?

justjack0+1 is up for meeting other FTers and any joint tours, etc...at least up to 20:00 when they are doing the BBQ, etc...

lorcancoyle managed to get an 1130 DMZ tour on 8th due to a cancellation. Nothing like a quick weekend jaunt to North Korea! Maybe you'll meet some of the others if the tours combine at some stage?

nth_utsera_sth_utsera is up for a visit to the fish market quite early in the morning...anyone wish to join?

Papabear is here and has posted that he will be doing the DMZ tour on the 8th through the USO. (but joining everyone for the BBQ and drinks later on).

Dec 9:

CreativeBill+1 are doing a full day food tour as decribed above in post 1 if anyone wants to join us?

NordicMaster wishes to do a DMZ tour (anyone else interested?)

justjack0+1 have no plans yet but are up for meeting other FTers and any joint tours, etc...

Papabear is here and has posted: I'm almost certainly going to the DMZ when there, and probably some war museums. Also I hope to spend some time to do some night photography with the tripod so if anyone shares similar interests it would be cool to hook up. So if any of that is of interest during the 7/8/9/10th then please get in touch with him or post on the thread please!

Dec 10:

Dec 11:

Dec 12:

Dec 13: Please be aware that mgo72 has started a separate thread for those going over the second weekend (effectively the 13th onwards) here:

partyweekend-seoul-part2-around-saturday-15-12

Last edited by BotB; Dec 5, 2012 at 2:43 pm Reason: removed original post to use as placeholder for 04
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Great fun for those who do not have to travel for a living, or never get the opportunity to travel CW/F long haul.

Personally I'd pay Ł777 not to do a long weekend trip to Seoul, CW/F or not. Have fun chaps/chapesses.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

05 The Route Info

The new route is from LHR T5 to ICN terminal A and will be flown by 777-236 Boeing aircraft with G-YMM* registrations so no new WT+ or WT cabins on board. However, as all of the planes will be 4 class there will be new First (NF) 100% of the time!

The seat layout is 12 seats in First, 48 seats in Club World, 32 seats in World Traveller Plus and finally 127 seats in World Traveller.

EDIT: (as of 5/12/2012) It seems that BA17 is taking off from C gates at T5...so if this continues do please allow enough time to get over there and get some free starbucks (I believe you can get up to Ł 15 free as there is no lounge over there...) BUT do not leave before you see the gate announced as otherwise you will have a real nightmare getting back if there is a gate change or it does not leave from B or C gates...Please do search the forum for more about the C gates and Starbucks or the issues with getting back...

It also appears that the seat map for F is showing quite consistently a 13F config with a 4K seat...this is not true and you can ignore the 4K seat and it will obviously therefore not be occupied...the seat map is a 12 seat setup as above.

FOOD: I will post menus once we have them from F, CW and WT+. It appears the food is a lunch followed by a 'light meal' which did offer Korean fare...should be interested to try. Please do let us know or provide menus scans/pics if you happen to be travelling out so we can update this. Thanks.

It does appear that ICN does deserve the general good rating it gets as a fantastic airport to go through or transfer through.

Also, some very useful info about checking in online, posted by surryson: ^

For the first 2 flights, Internet check in has not been switched on. This could be linked to a mandatory passport swipe - unique to Korea - thus ensuring all pax go to a check in desk for this to take place. It might just be to do with the fact that it normally takes a short period for all the IT to be fully operational for a new station.

This does not apply to the outbound LHR-ICN. Online check in as available as normal.

On a similar note, I believe that longer term, mobile boarding passes will not be allowed at all. This is down to the airport authority.

End of EDIT.

Genius1 kindly provided the following answers regarding AVOD system on this route:

All G-YMM* aircraft will retain Rockwell Collins AVOD and the existing WT/WTP cabins (not the latest WT/WT+ update), but do have NF.

So unfortunately, no new Thales AVOD systems on the route...Not that any FTer in Dec will notice!...Another round of Drinks please when you get a chance, thank you!

The outbound flight from LHR will be known as BA17 and the inbound from ICN will be called BA 18.

The current timings of the route are: BA 17 departing LHR at 13:00, arriving ICN at 08:55 the next day. BA 18 departing ICN at 10:45, arriving LHR at 14:00 the same day (all times local)

Prospero kindly supplied this info for those history buffs amongst you: (and it would be a great FT quiz question!)

Its nice to see the 0017/0018 flight numbers resurrected. I believe they were previously assigned to London-Osaka-Fukuoka.

EDIT: There has been some talk (rumours) that due to the very high uptake of business seats during the first month...there may be an equipment change during peak times to a 'High J' 747 (which has 70 J seats instead of the 48 on the 777 that normally will fly this route and seems to also have New First fitted) to accommodate the numbers without having to do operational upgrades or downgrades. We shall see and report back as we learn more.

Last edited by BotB; Dec 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm Reason: replaced original post to use as placeholder for 05
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by T8191
I wonder whether she'd let me go on my own? Oh, this is so tempting.

[Quick answer was no. Buggrit.]
10 out of 10 for effort!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow

A wealth of information is available in the main 'sticky' post...a sort of "read me first" thread. Please do check this out in addition to the below post:

BA Forum Dashboard

Check-In:

For those just joining us on the forum or for those that belong to other airline alliances…

Generally when you arrive at Heathrow Terminal 5 you will be at one end (the North end) which is where the economy check in area is…nothing wrong with that of course, if you wish and find a desk free, simply go up and check in and drop your bag off…If you wish to maximise the premium experience you can walk down to the other end (South end) and use the Club world check in desk area which can be empty or quite busy…at the very far end of the terminal (I didn't design it) you will find the First class check in area. Usually there is a BA staff member at the entrance that asks if you are travelling First or are a Gold card holder…there is no difference in service levels, they just seem to have different desks to help one or the other.

If you are travelling First you can use any desk you like in the terminal to check in and then proceed to security. If you are in Club world (where the majority of us are) you can use the Club, World Traveller Plus or World Traveller desks. World Traveller Plus can use the World Traveller or World Traveller Plus desks and obviously the World traveller check in is for those travelling in that cabin.

If you are in a mixed cabin party (such as on the 3rd) then you can go to the Club check in and check all three of you in at that desk.

Gold card holders can use any check in area. Silver can use any check in area up to Club. Bronze can also use any area up to Club.

It is worth mentioning that if you have carry on luggage only...you do not need to go to a check-in desk if you have checked in online and printed your own boarding pass or printed it at the kiosks you will find in the terminal, just before any check in desks. If you have checked in online or collected the boarding pass at the kiosk and have hand luggage only...you can go straight to security and then to the lounge or do some shopping!

Baggage allowance:

Many of us are only going for a day or three so may just get away with the very generous BA limits of one piece of carry on and one personal item (purse, laptop bag). See BA.com for details on dimensions in the 'manage my booking' section.

If you are in Club you can check in three pieces of baggage up to 23 Kg each. If you are Silver or Gold you can check in two pieces of baggage if you are in WT+ or WT. If you are in WT then you get one piece of baggage up to 23 Kg included in your fare. I believe the limit is two pieces of baggage at 23 Kg for those in WT+ but maybe someone will correct me.

If you are a silver or gold card holder your checked in bags can weigh up to 32kg each...but surely most of us don't need this for this trip!

Security (and Fast Track through it...):

There are two security areas to pass through to airside, one on the north side closer to economy desks, and one at the south side, nearer CW and First check in desks.

A Guide to BA Lounges in Terminal 5:

The CCR lounge is accessible straight after South security, for the other South lounges you need to head downstairs and then further South until you see the signs for the lounges which are up a set of escalators to the Galleries complex for GF and GC South. For North lounges, after North security simply turn left at the end of the terminal beside the bar/restaurant and you will see the BA lounge signs. (Please note, generally speaking...everyone will be meeting in the South lounges as they are bigger and tend to be less crowded. This may vary and it is best to check this with others you are planning to meet).

nh1980 has kindly posted a link to a lounge guide for those trying to figure out where everyone is or just to get familiar with the various features...His post is here: Lounge Guide

information on Terminal 5

please see this excellent thread here:

BA Terminal 5 FAQ

The linked info will certainly help you get around and between terminals or lounges.

There are several shops at T5 to get some drinks or food, restaurants, clothes, books and magazines and seating areas to simply people watch.

Boarding:

Do make sure to leave the lounge on time to board the plane please…this can be a bit hit and miss with the displays so best to leave a bit early and walk (instead of running to the gate!) …when the time does come to board, there is a fast track to one side of the boarding area that can be used by those travelling in First, Club or those with Silver or Gold status. You'll need to queue if you are in WT+ or WT and have no status…unless you are part of the FT group coming from the lounge which we will then say that you are with us…

Info on guesting:

Who can guest?

If you are travelling in F you can invite a guest into any lounge (CCR, F, Club), even if you do not have one world status with BA or a partner airline. If you are a Gold card holder you can guest one person into the F Lounge or Club lounge, those with Silver Cards can guest one into a Club lounge, and finally those flying in Club can get access themselves into a Club lounge.

How will this work?

I was planning to ask each group to designate someone/two people as the first point of contact for that day, likely the person(s) that thinks they will arrive first to the lounge in question...So, on the 7th it would be someone in the F lounge that likely has a connecting flight to get to LHR, or someone that likes to arrive extra early to avoid any fuss (like me)...they would then post on the thread that they are in the back corner of the terrace or over by the Champagne bar, etc..so others could find them when they get in the lounge OR they could simply print out one or two A4 sized sheets of the BA /FT logo and place it where people could see it if they walk around...Then everyone just introduces themselves and the group expands as people arrive. Of course, if you are guesting someone or if someone is being guested, I would suggest that those specific people share mobile numbers (via PM of course not posted on the thread!) to be able to call the person when they arrive so they can be guested in at the entrance to the lounge, so that no one has to keep a constant eye out for their guest to arrive...

I hate to bring this up but please do be careful with your information and only give out what is necessary in case of any issues such as stalking/fraud, etc...better safe than sorry really...(sad to say, trust you understand). All that should be needed here is a post on this thread or sharing a mobile number really along with a first name...

I hope that would be acceptable, it has worked for previous meetings/DO's I have done or been to in the past...but I am always open to suggestions to improve this if anyone has any ideas or issues. Thanks

Last edited by BotB; Nov 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm Reason: replaced original post to use as placeholder for 06
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:40 am

Special Seoul launch offer

Any thoughts on Westin Chosun hotel? The hotels ba offers that i'd be interested in are cheaper on hotels.com (factor in quidco and welcome rewards, and beats 10k Avios for me)
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by T8191
The iWife is pondering the madness of the concept at the moment. Looks bloody cold, though. I suspect that will be the big turn-off.
The warmth of the people really makes up for it. Great great city with fantastic food. Those of you going go to the fish market and grab fresh sushimi and sushi. Dak Galbi (sizzling beef) also good. Seoul is a great city to visit.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Any thoughts on Westin Chosun hotel? The hotels ba offers that i'd be interested in are cheaper on hotels.com (factor in quidco and welcome rewards, and beats 10k Avios for me)
Just in case you haven't looked...here is the thread from the Starwoods forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The warmth of the people really makes up for it. Great great city with fantastic food. Those of you going go to the fish market and grab fresh sushimi and sushi. Dak Galbi (sizzling beef) also good. Seoul is a great city to visit.
Thanks for the tip itsmeitisss ^ , will definitely try to do that...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:48 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BotB
Cheers, list updated.^

Well some sightseeing, relaxing and enjoying a few hours in a posh hotel (there are two IC's and a new Conrad in Seoul and likely many others...), some drinking and eating...thundercat seems to have found a place that serves beer by the meter...some sightseeing, shopping...

Imagine I'll be staying at the new Conrad personally.

The Parnas Grand IC is very good - not cheap but the breakfast buffet will keep you going all day, and you can walk around the corner and do your own Gangnam Style video as much of it was filmed in the area around the hotel by the WTC building.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.