Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:51 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BotB
Just in case you haven't looked...here is the thread from the Starwoods forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Thanks for the tip itsmeitisss ^ , will definitely try to do that...
Westin is nice too. I have stayed also at the Grand Hyatt on the hill but it's too far out. Westin is very central...

So tempted myself - but am not certain I am clear although my diary is this far clear from 10th.....
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Just in case you haven't looked...here is the thread from the Starwoods forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Thanks for the tip itsmeitisss ^ , will definitely try to do that...
If you are feeling particularly (or peculiarly) adventurous, or just jetlagged and can't sleep, you can go to the fish market in the early hours and watch them bartering for the fresh catch.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Special Seoul launch offer

You lot nicked all the window seats for the 7th - shocking! Got 10K on return though...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I assumed Seoul would always be lovely and warm all year round rather than making the UK look tropical in Dec!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
07 Trip Report Status and Teaser

Trip Report:

If you wish to contribute to a group trip report to be posted here later on FT…please contact CreativeBill via PM to work out what areas can be covered or of interest. Please also send CB info on what motivation you had for the trip….that would be an interesting addition to include the various reasons! Thanks!

CreativeBill has posted the following as a bit of a teaser for the trip report:

Trip Report and Teaser

So far, besides CreativeBill, BotB, nickyjames PETER01 and UTA_flyinghigh have volunteered to help! THE FOOLS!

Last edited by BotB; Nov 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm Reason: replaced original post to use as placeholder for 07
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
Which IC to book or try both
I have stayed in both, and for me Parnas Grand Intercontinental has the edge. Try and get one of the newer rooms if you have executive room or jr suite - newly modernised and very fresh.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by xenole
I assumed Seoul would always be lovely and warm all year round rather than making the UK look tropical in Dec!
Read any history of the Korean War, or watch M.A.S.H. and you will quickly be disabused of that idea! Dreadful in winter, especially in a slit trench or walking up/down a road.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The Parnas Grand IC is very good - not cheap but the breakfast buffet will keep you going all day, and you can walk around the corner and do your own Gangnam Style video as much of it was filmed in the area around the hotel by the WTC building.
An FT Gangnam Style video on youtube sounds like a dangerous plan to me, I like it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Dear oh dear, this is very tempting.

Got a few clients in Seoul so finding entertainment won't be difficult.

Timing is a bit of a b&&ger though....opening a bottle of claret now, so may weaken later tonight. Definitely looking for the MFU to F option.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Tempting

This is indeed a great offer from BA.

I'm sorely tempted but struggling to justify.
The wife thinks it's mental.

If I join you guys I wouldn't bother with a hotel, out on Friday, back Sunday, sleep on board!

As a bronze travelling in CW what avios and TPs are available?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Question. Is there going to be a volunteer to consolidate all the potential TRs into the MegaTR of the Decade? Or do we have to suffer a dozen or more individual "huzzah - I got the deal"?

If constructed well, this could simply wax all the other airline boards.

And make me feel rather sad that I wimped out.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Read any history of the Korean War, or watch M.A.S.H. and you will quickly be disabused of that idea! Dreadful in winter, especially in a slit trench or walking up/down a road.
I can recommend the excellent The Korean War by Max Hastings for a thorough historical treatment of the conflict.

Here is a picture of it in CW!:
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by SirHereford
This is indeed a great offer from BA.

I'm sorely tempted but struggling to justify.
The wife thinks it's mental.

If I join you guys I wouldn't bother with a hotel, out on Friday, back Sunday, sleep on board!

As a bronze travelling in CW what avios and TPs are available?
A CW return booking will net you:

280 TP's (140 for each leg)

28,260 Avios for Silver or Golds...

19,782 Avios for Bronze

16,956 Avios for Blue

(See BotB's posts a couple of pages back for more on who's going etc)

Worth thinking about ^
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Question. Is there going to be a volunteer to consolidate all the potential TRs into the MegaTR of the Decade? Or do we have to suffer a dozen or more individual "huzzah - I got the deal"?

If constructed well, this could simply wax all the other airline boards.

And make me feel rather sad that I wimped out.
I could try... and input from the others may balance out the amount of "Huzzah - I ate (I'm not entirely sure what this is)" pictures that I'm likely to accrue.

I suggest at least you should let one of the bears accompany us. I volunteer to mind him, I'm sensible(ish). I would have volunteered to mind you as well if you had been braver.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:17 pm

I'll be making this do, out on the 8th and back on the 10th in F (on a GUF2).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.