Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:36 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I'm quite fancying a bit of a booze-up with group of strangers! I'm in no need of TPs (nor the flying for that matter) but like the idea of a meet up as I've been unavailable for each of the other gatherings.

Jr Tobias is concerned about me getting stuck in South Korea and not making it home in time to take him to New York. If I take this trip, I'd be returning on 9 December, I'm booked to fly to JFK on the 11th. I'm pretty used to IRROPS and take them in my stride, however I really wouldn't want to miss the NYC trip as that would spoil someone's Christmas. Given the time of year, what are the chances of weather related disruption at ICN?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
How does one get the 10k bonus avios for hotel bookings via ba?

Not that I know whether I can come yet. The boss said "maybe, we'll discuss it later". Then he buggered off home while I was in a meeting.

I think availability will probably be gone by the time I get the holiday approved.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:59 pm

Going for a special weekend with OH in Lisbon during that weekend. Otherwise would have for sure been up for it, never been to Seoul and have a former uni friend there.
Looking forward to read the TR
Will this be the most FT's at the same time on a LH
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Celebrating my folly with a bottle of Rioja and a friend who thinks I am mad - I wonder if the good people of BA wondered why there was a sudden rush for bookings for the 6/7 Dec and 9/10 Dec and traced it back to FT Perhaps nearer the time they can be talked into releasing the entire F cabin for FT members either to MFU or pay upgrade or even op ups at the last minute?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Long time lurker on here, but first time poster. Thanks for all the information you all post by the way. I have only been a BAEC member for a year now, but managed to achieve silver (which is a great help for works trips - I go to the US east coast but can only go WTP).

Anyway, I can only go on certain dates due to work commitments in early December. Nearly booked earlier today with an outbound MFU as well. Unfortunately I dithered, and the reward seat had gone this evening when I came to book. So, am heading out on 13th, and back on 17th.

Looking forward to it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by KARFA
Long time lurker on here, but first time poster. Thanks for all the information you all post by the way. I have only been a BAEC member for a year now, but managed to achieve silver (which is a great help for works trips - I go to the US east coast but can only go WTP).

Anyway, I can only go on certain dates due to work commitments in early December. Nearly booked earlier today with an outbound MFU as well. Unfortunately I dithered, and the reward seat had gone this evening when I came to book. So, am heading out on 13th, and back on 17th.

Looking forward to it.
Welcome to FT and the BA board!

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
So, am heading out on 13th, and back on 17th.

Looking forward to it.
SNAP!

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Christickler
All,

I have jumped on this deal also as I have been just waiting for an excuse to get to HKG this year for a weekened...

Amazingly the wife agreed that I could go on my own, but I have had to promise the world for this to happen...

Booked as follows for £776 ish plus £4.50 credit card fee.

Flight number BA0017
From Heathrow (London) Terminal 5
To Incheon International (Seoul)
Depart 13 Dec 2012 13:00
Arrive 14 Dec 2012 08:55
Cabin Club World
Operated by British Airways
Booking status Confirmed

Flight number BA0018
From Incheon International (Seoul)
To Heathrow (London) Terminal 5
Depart 17 Dec 2012 10:45
Arrive 17 Dec 2012 14:00
Cabin Club World
Operated by British Airways
Booking status Confirmed

To get to Hong Kong - I have booked the following using 40,000 avios & around £65 tax...

Flight CX0417 to Hong Kong on Fri 14 Dec 2012 10:20
Depart Fri 14 Dec 2012 10:20 Incheon International (Seoul) 03 hrs 55 mins Business
Arrive Fri 14 Dec 2012 13:15 Hong Kong
Terminal 1 0 stops Confirmed
This flight is operated by Cathay Pacific Airways

Flight CX0412 to Seoul on Mon 17 Dec 2012 00:55
Depart Mon 17 Dec 2012 00:55 Hong Kong Terminal 1 03 hrs 25 mins
Business
Arrive Mon 17 Dec 2012 05:20 Incheon International (Seoul)
0 stops Confirmed
This flight is operated by Cathay Pacific Airways

All I need to do now is book hotel in HKG for minimal cost. I will probably end up using 50K priority club points on HIEX in Causeway bay...

Couple of questions, hope someone can help...

*For anyone who has done an international transfer is ICN, how tight is 1 hour 25 minutes to transfer? Flight arrives at 08:55, next flight departs at 10:20?

*If I call BA nicely, will they 'link' the 2 bookings ensuring that I am looked after by BA / CX if any flights are delayed and I miss connections?

Cheers all...

Am now very excited, although daunted by the decorating I have commited to complete by end of November...

Christickler
Can't help with questions, but an old story suggested getting a Korean massage in transit lounge at ICN - could be an option on return...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MilesandSmiles Elite, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I think finding a sofa to get some sleep will be the only thing on my mind when I arrive in ICN...

Have already started contacting my old HKG mates, and planning a monster weekend.

The all day sunday session followed by the flight at midnight is going to be a killer.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Just as an aside, its nice to see the 0017/0018 flight numbers resurrected. I believe they were previously assigned to London-Osaka-Fukuoka.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Tempting, oh so tempting!

If you were being selective about upgrading to F would you do it on the outbound or inbound flight?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Transit in Seoul is fine and the 1.25 should be no problem. If anyone has a short turnaround time i can recommend the Sheraton Incheon.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by JimEddie
Tempting, oh so tempting!

If you were being selective about upgrading to F would you do it on the outbound or inbound flight?
How long are you going for?

In my example I took the view that as I had Friday off work, a decent departure time of 1pm to enjoy the F experience and of course the CCR at LHR made me choose the outbound (after accounting for the total Avios gained from this flight and offsetting with the upgrade Avios, result is near zero net). I could have upgraded the Sunday inbound but took the view that I didn't know quite what the Seoul lounge facilities would be like (and probably wouldn't spend much time in anyway them given its a morning flight after what will no doubt be a heavy night) and I will probably snooze through the flight back as I will want to have made the most of my 24 hrs in Seoul!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:51 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
09 Returning to the UK (ICN Airport info)

777 with NF at LHR by BA_pics, on Flickr

If you are connecting to another airline and are downtown...this bit of info may be of use to you:

Baggage check in Option (outside of airport):

Looks like you can actually check-in bags at Seoul Station (if you are travelling by train) but only if you are on a KE, OZ, or 7C flight – so may be of help if you are heading off elsewhere.

In General:

Please, please do make sure you arrive in plenty of time to catch your return flight…enjoy yourselves but be responsible and leave plenty of time for this so as to not delay the flight or cause problems. It takes between 45 minutes to 90 minutes to reach the airport from Seoul downtown…so do plan this into your schedule so as to not arrive late!

The BA MMB advice is that you can check in from 2 hours 50 minutes before departure up to the time the desks close which is 1 hour before departure...(not for the faint hearted though!)

Some very good advice from itsmeitisss with some editorial elaboration:

It should take you no more than about an hour to get to Incheon on a Sunday morning, but allow plenty of time both for getting to the airport as well as after check-in as you have to use transport after security and immigration. Also they have guards checking the weight of (carry on) cases/bags. They will stop anything that looks big and if it is over 10kg you will be sent back to the airline to get an approved bag tag if you do not already have one. They are VERY strict on this.

So if you are travelling with hand luggage only do make sure you get a tag at check in to be sure to avoid this issue later.

Security itself is reasonably painless. After security and immigration, its a little walk and down the escalators to get the transport to the satellite where you will find Duty Free shops and the CX lounge which isn't far away fom the top of the escalators. It's similar to T5 except that the lifts from the transports are only for disabled people and people with buggies.

Another good tip from ExpatSomchai is: Don't know if anyone has mentioned it but there is a weird procedure at ICN where you are not supposed to go through to security until around 10 minutes after you have checked your bags. This is because if there is a security issue with your checked bags that they perceive they will call you from landside.

Incheon Airport Info

Here are several links to detailed airport information and videos of Incheon airport.

I have tried to find detailed information on performance of the airport during periods of snow or any delay statistics during poor weather...the only thing I have found is that in 2010 they received 10 inches of snow which did cause problems as it did for nearly everywhere else in the world that year.

It appears that the airport is not anywhere near capacity, even though it handles 35 Million passengers each year and they have to actively try to draw in business to the airport so service levels and quality seem to be very high.

Obviously Seoul does get snow quite regularly in the Winter, however, I am optimistic that they do not have long delays or closures as a rule as the airport is not running at capacity and therefore has some flexibility as well as the fact that they have very high service standards so will not be sitting back and only dealing with things reactively.

Please do post any further info or corrections to the above if you disagree or have experience at this airport.

http://seoulistic.com/just-for-fun/2...-in-the-world/

http://article.wn.com/view/2012/05/2...eventh_straig/

http://www.airport.kr/eng/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incheon...tional_Airport

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ortQueryType=0

Some interesting YouTube videos of ICN airport take off and landing from a pilot perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5vfI52HGf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCty4RSEyF0

ICN Check In and Return Lounge Info:

We are told that the Asiana lounge BA are using has a split F and J area...details will emerge as people start to use it and return from ICN.

Should this not appeal, you may be able to try the following:

Finnair uses Cathay Pacific Lounge at ICN:

AY41/AY42 has similar schedule as BA17/BA18. Finnair departure is 30 minutes after BA, so we believe it's safe to assume lounge is open for BA passengers as well.

CX has changed it's Lounge opening hours on their web page:

Now open: Daily: 0630 - 1020; 1215 - 1520; 1700 - 2000

Last edited by BotB; Dec 6, 2012 at 4:04 pm Reason: removed original post to use as placeholder for 09 ICN info
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:53 pm

Unhappy

Been waiting for a sale like this, now it arrived. However, hubby said no money left in kitty as we have some big expenses coming up this month. It would have been nice to go the weekend 7th to 9th of December as it will be our wedding anniversary! Tried to convince hubby but he said "NO!" - he said we are going to Seoul in June next year so no deal !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.