Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne Smuggling in JFK Flounge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
What time are you coming round then?
Be there in 30 minutes - get the champers out xx
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
It's a question of morals. I know they're lacking in a lot of people these days, but anybody with any kind of morals would know right from wrong.
I do not understand why one of the two scenarios below is morally repugnant and the other is quite OK.

Scenario 1: A friend and I, both ticketed in First Class and intending to travel, drink a bottle of champagne together in the CCR.

Scenario 2: A friend and I, both ticketed in First Class and intending to travel, take a bottle of champagne out of the CCR and drink it in the main part of the terminal.

Why is one wrong and the other right?

Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Well apart from the fact that I don't believe you can actually sit in an open area of departures with an opened bottle of alcohol (ie. BAA would probably have something to say), it encourages others to do the same and remove bottles for their mates in Y.
There's also the issue of people drinking to excess which is more easily monitored in the lounge. Lounge agents can warn a gate team if a person may be questionable for boarding.

And if people would rather drink in the departure lounge why are there so many threads on here wanting lounge access. I don't get it.

This level of pedantics is what's driving me nuts with FT at the moment and seriously making me question my involvement here anymore. It's ridiculous. It's also become like a game of "how to get one over on BA". Find it very sad
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HilFly
What if it's a half eaten piece of fruitcake? Is it OK to take it with me or do I have to leave it behind in case T8191 fancies a snack?
I honestly will not deprive you of your half-eaten slice of cake-substitute.

I argue, folks, on a matter of principle, not personal need/greed. Those using the Lounges have an expectation to find the various offerings available ... as opposed to being stuffed in a carry-on or wandered off with somewhere else.

We hardy eat/drink anything in the Lounges, with the possible exception of the 3+ hour layover at LGW on the way home after a TATL ... and that's largely driven by the utterly awful breakfast offered in CW on the BA216.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I do not understand why one of the two scenarios below is morally repugnant and the other is quite OK.

Scenario 1: A friend and I, both ticketed in First Class and intending to travel, drink a bottle of champagne together in the CCR.

Scenario 2: A friend and I, both ticketed in First Class and intending to travel, take a bottle of champagne out of the CCR and drink it in the main part of the terminal.

Why is one wrong and the other right?

Probably for the same reason why you don't see people swigging from their duty free in the main terminal. Its not allowed?*

Morally I suppose you've done nothing wrong, its obviously not the done thing though otherwise people would be having impromptu picnics all over the gaff!

*I have no idea if it is or not
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
This level of pedantics is what's driving me nuts with FT at the moment and seriously making me question my involvement here anymore.
Can pedantics be plural? Surely one is pedantic or not? They're like sheep, aren't they?

Chill, SRG-Babe xxxx
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by T8191
Chill, SRG-Babe xxxx
I'll give her a glass of champers and a massage when she gets to my apartment.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:54 am
Suspended

I'll give her a glass of champers and a massage when she gets to my apartment.
That'll get me overheated
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

I argue, folks, on a matter of principle, not personal need/greed. Those using the Lounges have an expectation to find the various offerings available ... as opposed to being stuffed in a carry-on or wandered off with somewhere else.

We hardy eat/drink anything in the Lounges, with the possible exception of the 3+ hour layover at LGW on the way home after a TATL ... and that's largely driven by the utterly awful breakfast offered in CW on the BA216.
Whilst others perhaps snaffle biscuits etc due to crappy ET catering. If you had a 30 minute layover and no food LGW-JER, would you not consider taking a couple of biscuits?!

There is obviously no issue with a packet of short bread or bag of kettle chips and a can of coke, that is for imminent consumption, a bottle of champagne or a whole box worth of short bread to feed you for the coming months is a different matter altogether!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

OK, so you've not eaten the truly awful breakfast on the 216 but you're not connecting to JER. You've got a tight connection to MAN with nothing on offer on the MAN flight but a miniscule packet of crisps or 1 biscuit. You've also got to rush straight off the plane at MAN to get to your final destination. You've just got time to dash into the North GC lounge as you pass by to use the bathroom. I wouldn't have a problem with someone grabbing a piece of fruitcake and a packet of crisps in that situation.

Not everyone is flying on a schedule that allows for hours of indulgence in the lounge before and between flights. BA have chosen to decimate their food offerings on their short haul routes without really thinking about why food was provided during flights in the first place - people get hungry and during the flight is a good time to eat for busy people.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
If you had a 30 minute layover and no food LGW-JER, would you not consider taking a couple of biscuits?!
No, I can live for an hour without eating. That's an honest comment. I can actually go for many hours without eating ... I do at least 12 hours of starvation on a daily basis

Originally Posted by HilFly
Not everyone is flying on a schedule that allows for hours of indulgence in the lounge before and between flights.
The hours spent waiting for a connecting flight after an overnight TATL and after a taxi from LHR to LGW are not, IMO, an indulgence. After a full day in the US, a TATL overnighter, and then waiting at LGW for a lunchtime 30-minute hop to JER is not my idea of 'indulgence', especially at my age

Folks, what's in the Lounge is for all of us ... not yours to take because it suits you. Think of other people who arrive just after you, and find [whatever] isn't available. It's simply not fair, and it's not good manners either.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Oi....I'm not common you know.

What's a TIWIET anyway?
I thought this was in general use??? TIWIET = this is what I'm entitled to...
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I guess this is another facet of the strange rule at school where taking a used piece of chalk is not theft, but taking a brand new piece is ?

I suppose my view is that a packet of biscuits is not morally wrong whereas the bottle of champagne (and glasses - that's the thing that REALLY got me) is not acceptable. It's all a question of scale and intent.

Taking a packet of biscuits that must cost BA 50p for personal consumption later is totally different to swiping 2 champagne glasses and a bottle of fizz because the people you want to drink it with are somehow not entitled to come and share it with you.

I would argue further that the person with access to the F lounge is probably in a position to be able to afford to buy a bottle of champagne at one of the various dining areas in T5 and enjoy said drink with the other people there, so why didn't they do that if they felt so strongly about the whole thing?

BAH
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Semantics of stealing aside, there are some issues here that make the alleged theft that is quite bizarre...

Said lady was in the F lounge and bottle of bubbles with two glasses ends up in handbag, whoopsy.

Now, she must therefore be OW emerald, as if actually travelling in F surely she'd e in the CCR. Since she only took 2 glasses I am totally perplexed as she could have just guested the other person in.

Unless of course people think she might have been giving it away in a charitable gesture
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
That would explain why everytime I arrive in LHR T5 F lounge at around 1400hrs they're completely out of The Daily Mirror.
The Daily Mirror, me?! Over my dead body on that one.
And 1400hrs??! Definitely not me.

I'm talking evenings when I say "late in the day". 1400hrs is close enough to morning according to my body clock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.