Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne Smuggling in JFK Flounge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Is taking a newspaper from the lounge considered theft also?

I've taken papers, crisps and biscuits (all for my own consumption - except the paper, I read, not ate, that) but would never consider taking champagne and glasses.

Its easy to says its all stealing, but most adults, even those with the most wayward of moral compass, will recognise that a line exists somewhere and that that act has most definitely crossed it.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Is taking a newspaper from the lounge considered theft also?

I've taken papers, crisps and biscuits (all for my own consumption - except the paper, I read, not ate, that) but would never consider taking champagne and glasses.

Its easy to says its all stealing, but most adults, even those with the most wayward of moral compass, will recognise that a line exists somewhere and that that act has most definitely crossed it.
Exactly. Newspapers will be slung out at the end of each day. Actually I would rather someone took a bag of crisps for later then open and not eat them. I bet the amount of waste is shocking.

Strictly speaking you should not take anything - but there is in my mind a difference between a newspaper and a bottle of Champagne (what's wrong with Perrier Jouet? - I love it) and two glasses.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Newspapers will be slung out at the end of each day.

I asked at T5 F lounge if I could take a particular newspaper once or twice (they weren't available at newsagents) late in the day and they were happy for me to take them, so I did.

I'm not sure if the lounge guardians would have said yes if I asked early in the day.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Are you not meant to take the Papers/ Magazines?!

Ooops.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I asked at T5 F lounge if I could take a particular newspaper once or twice (they weren't available at newsagents) late in the day and they were happy for me to take them, so I did.

I'm not sure if the lounge guardians would have said yes if I asked early in the day.
That would explain why everytime I arrive in LHR T5 F lounge at around 1400hrs they're completely out of The Daily Mirror.

By the way, I just LOVE those Flamed Steak Flavour Kettle Ridge Crisps - although they don't accompany a glass of champagne very well.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
By the way, I just LOVE those Flamed Steak Flavour Kettle Ridge Crisps - although they don't accompany a glass of champagne very well.
Me too! ^

They do go very well with a can of Coke.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
but there is in my mind a difference between a newspaper and a bottle of Champagne (what's wrong with Perrier Jouet? - I love it) and two glasses.
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Is taking a newspaper from the lounge considered theft also? ... a line exists somewhere and that that act has most definitely crossed it.
Now no doubt I will be fighting a losing battle here, but here goes anyway...

I do not believe that there is a difference between a bottle of fizz and a newspaper. My thinking is that both products are consumables that could reasonably be drunk by one person in a short time. So it is reasonable to take a bottle of fizz from the lounge.

Personally, I would draw the line at a bottle of spirits since not many people are able to drink one of these in the gap between checking in and departure.

I would argue that the incident would become theft if and only if it could be proven that the fizz was being taken to somebody not otherwise entitled to consume it. I am not saying that the person was not stealing, but absent further evidence there are good reasons (see this post and my previous post 40) why she should not be stealing. By the same token taking a newspaper for someone not entitled to it would also be stealing.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:35 am

I once tried to steal one of the lounge dragons, but one of the others noticed and told me to put her down.

Not sure she'd have fitted in the overhead locker anyway.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'll stick my head above the parapet, and simply avoid the pejorative term "theft".

The things [whatever they are] are in the Lounges for the users of the Lounges.
They are not free gifts to tuck into your carry-on.

You get fed on the bloody aircraft, and I assume nobody here is too poor or lazy to buy their own newspaper of choice. I do find the attitude of some folks on FT quite bizarre ... and slightly distasteful.

Harrumph. So there!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Are you not meant to take the Papers/ Magazines?!

Ooops.
I always take them with me to finish reading / do the puzzles. I had always assumed that they were provided for that reason - one paper for the whole journey rather than paper 1 at lounge 1, paper 2 on board flight 1, paper 3 at lounge 2, paper 4 on board flight 2, etc.

Apart from anything else, I don't want to read someone's second hand newspaper. I want a nice clean one, unsullied by grubby hands.

It's not that long ago that folks were complaining about guests leaving newspapers lying around the lounge rather than throwing them away!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HilFly
Apart from anything else, I don't want to read someone's second hand newspaper. I want a nice clean one, unsullied by grubby hands.
You are a delicate flower.

Can you afford your own newspaper? They sell them in the Concourse, where the tacky Public congregate.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by HilFly
I always take them with me to finish reading / do the puzzles. I had always assumed that they were provided for that reason - one paper for the whole journey rather than paper 1 at lounge 1, paper 2 on board flight 1, paper 3 at lounge 2, paper 4 on board flight 2, etc.

Exactly, I'm not clean freak by any means, I wouldn't be keen on reading a 3rd hand newspaper or Magazine though, esp where people have likely been munching on a bacon roll or bag of kettle chips!

I really thought they were there to take with you. My wife always takes a Good Housekeeping/ Harpers Bazaar (or whatever it iis) etc that she reads over the course of the flight and a few days on arrival!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
"Hiding" would indicate that she was not legitimately taking it ... I'd outright ask and expect to be told "no" ... I do not want to make the lounge staff feel uncomfortable by their needing to say "no". If I feel the need to hide something to take it, that means my conscience wouldn't let me take it anyway.
Now I am playing Devil's advocate here to some extent. But I would argue the reverse.

I would have no qualms taking a bottle of wine out of the lounge and hiding it in so doing provided that it was for entirely legitimate purposes.

There is no reason that a lounge guest should be aware that she is not entitled to take a bottle of champagne out. Where are the signs saying that the fizz is for consumption in the lounge only?

However knowing that many people are meek and timid and err on the side of caution, and that the side of caution would almost surely say "you cannot take it out", I would suggest that asking will nearly certainly result in a no. This would in fact also put the dragon into a difficult position as she would be declining what may be a passenger's perfectly lawful request.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
I'll stick my head above the parapet, and simply avoid the pejorative term "theft".

The things [whatever they are] are in the Lounges for the users of the Lounges.
They are not free gifts to tuck into your carry-on.

You get fed on the bloody aircraft, and I assume nobody here is too poor or lazy to buy their own newspaper of choice. I do find the attitude of some folks on FT quite bizarre ... and slightly distasteful.

Harrumph. So there!
A few years ago, when meals were removed from domsetic flights, BA put signs up, actively encouraging me to take food from the lounge to eat on the aircraft.

I've not seen a sign telling me to stop, so I'm not doing anything wrong (so long as I eat the newspaper too).

So there!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
So it is reasonable to take a bottle of fizz from the lounge.
SF - As much as I enjoy your posts I fear I will be the first of many who fundamentally disagree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.