Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne Smuggling in JFK Flounge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roberino
I would LOVE to walk into the F lounge looking like a tramp. It would p*** all over the TIWIET and DYKWIA and would make for fantastic entertainment.
Oi....I'm not common you know.

What's a TIWIET anyway?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I have taken champagne (VC) out of the JFK Flounge before. With the the approval of the dragons. It was a glass at a time, admittedly, and it was to take to the dining area in the J lounge. Maybe the woman concerned had a family having dinner in the CW dining area who were legitimately entitled to F champers.

Assuming it was only going as far as the J lounge, this woman could have done it without any smuggling. She could have guested in one of her friends, they would have been allowed to carry out two large glasses between them, and they would have been allowed to do it more than once, although perhaps not in rapid succession.

Don't be so quick to assume the worst.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I would never do this myself, but I'm intrigued as to why people here feel sticking a bottle of Champage into your bag is any different to doing so with a pack of crisps, which I'm sure plenty of people here have done or do on a regular bases.

I mean, stealing is stealing at the end of the day.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by roberino
I would LOVE to walk into the F lounge looking like a tramp. It would p*** all over the TIWIET and DYKWIA and would make for fantastic entertainment.
I don't understand TIWIET.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by T8191
Some people need to spot a neon-lit joke that's written in 40ft-high letters and placed on a fairly high building
+1
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by clubman
I would never do this myself, but I'm intrigued as to why people here feel sticking a bottle of Champage into your bag is any different to doing so with a pack of crisps, which I'm sure plenty of people here have done or do on a regular bases.

I mean, stealing is stealing at the end of the day.
I agree with that principle, though a bottle of champagne is a lot more costly than a bag of Kettle Chips!

That said I think this is a very poor show indeed. What would happen if everybody did it?

And you're all assuming the champagne was taken to the J lounge, but why would they do that when you can get champagne in there anyway?

I think it's far more likely to have been taken to people in the main departure lounge.

I could say more, but would probably be jumped on by some people so won't bother.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I have taken champagne (VC) out of the JFK Flounge before. With the the approval of the dragons. It was a glass at a time, admittedly, and it was to take to the dining area in the J lounge. Maybe the woman concerned had a family having dinner in the CW dining area who were legitimately entitled to F champers.

Assuming it was only going as far as the J lounge, this woman could have done it without any smuggling. She could have guested in one of her friends, they would have been allowed to carry out two large glasses between them, and they would have been allowed to do it more than once, although perhaps not in rapid succession.

Don't be so quick to assume the worst.
If she was taking the bubbles to the Club Lounge legitimally, why the need to hide it in her bag? With glasses? Surely there are champagne glasses in that lounge too?

I think it's awful someone stealing Champagne. Yes, it is stealing, no two ways about it. I would've thought that if one can afford to fly F, one doesn't need to steal Champagne but can afford to buy it in an appropriate shop. I'm sure I've seen comments on this forum before about having to ask for bubbly in the lounges. I guess we now know why.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:54 am

Oh, and it goes to show that money can't buy class.

(Sorry, can't edit post on this silly gadget)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
At the JFK ccr, there was a bowl of baby apples, delicious. Ate a few of them and would have liked to take some for the plane. Am sure they wouldn't have minded. Ended up not taking any.... Regretfully. They top any apples in Paris.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think that there are cases when the champagne could be legitimately be taken out of the lounge. For instance if you wanted to watch the planes from the terminal window and could not do this from the lounge with another F passenger it would not be theft to take the fizz out of the lounge. It would even be OK to hide it in this case because you would know that the dragon would probably not be keen on you taking it out.

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
What would happen if everybody did it?
Aha, the what if everybody did it argument. A nice old chestnut!

My normal consideration is that this argument is spurious because the person doing the taking knows full well, as does everyone else, that hardly anyone does it.

Originally Posted by StolenChampers
Well listen to all you holier-than-thou sanctimonious people.

I TRIED to guest 2 friends in with me but the stupid person at the front wouldn't let me do that. I told her I fly with British Air at least twice a year and I was a very important customer but she wouldn't budge.

Given I took out the Chase card to get these miles with British Air so I could fly and then had to pay ridiculous surcharges which is just crazy I think I am allowed to steal a bottle of champagne and 2 glasses for my 2 friends in economy.

So there.
^
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I think that there are cases when the champagne could be legitimately be taken out of the lounge. For instance if you wanted to watch the planes from the terminal window and could not do this from the lounge with another F passenger it would not be theft to take the fizz out of the lounge. It would even be OK to hide it in this case because you would know that the dragon would probably not be keen on you taking it out.
"Hiding" would indicate that she was not legitimately taking it. That is rather wrong. Ideally, one's conscience should stop people from doing things they feel they need to hide, although of course that is not always the case.

If I want to take something from the lounge, I'd outright ask and expect to be told "no" - and if told no, of course I would completely and gracefully accept that. Having said that, I won't ask to take anything substantial in the first place because I do not want to make the lounge staff feel uncomfortable by their needing to say "no". If I feel the need to hide something to take it, that means my conscience wouldn't let me take it anyway.

I'd be quite happy to ask them if it is OK for me to take something small like a packet of crisps, a couple of apples etc because it's likely they will say it's OK, although I would still be prepared for them to say "no" and be quite happy with that (and consequently feel bad about having put them in a situation to have to say "no" - I easily feel guilty!). Then I can take it with clear conscience I just wouldn't take anything without asking first though.

P.S. I would one day like to ask to take the pair of horse lamps to keep me company on the flight (as a prank to see how they react ), however!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 5, 2011 at 9:51 am
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
God I must be getting as old as Whistler's Mother but I am seriously unamused. I think that was disgraceful and - frankly I would have told the Lounge Lady. To me that is theft pure and simple and it would have served her right if the Police had been called. Why, I wonder did the OP not see fit to denounce her in front of the lounge and let her brazen it out?

If you think that I would not have dared then you do not know me.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have to confess.....a slab of Walkers fruit cake accidentally fell into the Primark shopping bag I was carrying while I was in the F lounge.My hands were full at the time so I couldn't retrieve it. By the time I got back to the table I had forgotten all about it.
To my delight I came across it months later.....all squashed flat but it was still moist and tasted wonderful. ^
Exactly the same happened to me yesterday, except it wasn't squashed as I'd stashed it in a tin with a packet of the stem ginger cookies.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:50 am

I have to admit I took a little container of jam once.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by happymom2008
I have to admit I took a little container of jam once.
Never mind Dear, confession is good for the soul. Unlike some people who have things drop into their Charity Shop bag whilst they turn the First Class Lounge into a Soup Kitchen!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.