Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Champagne Smuggling in JFK Flounge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:48 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Christina Applegate's character in "A View from the Top" was fired when she was caught stealing airline soaps and small bottles of liquor i do believe!!

Champas is much worse since its' much mo expensive.

Jam is ok. =)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Christina Applegate's character in "A View from the Top" was fired when she was caught stealing airline soaps and small bottles of liquor i do believe!!
There, conclusive proof that it was wrong; might as well close the thread now
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
SF - As much as I enjoy your posts I fear I will be the first of many who fundamentally disagree with you.
No worries. If we were all in agreement it would be a bit dull!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Of course one can take a newspaper or magazine from the lounge. A packet of crisps is also no problem.

You seriously cannot expect somebody to start reading a paper and then leave it behind if they want to finish reading it.

I agree that there is a line - multiple packets of crisps or bottles of alcohol (and certainly non consumables such as wine glasses) should not be removed from the lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I repeat ...
The things [whatever they are] are in the Lounges for the users of the Lounges.
They are not free gifts to tuck into your carry-on.
You get fed on the bloody aircraft, and I assume nobody here is too poor or lazy to buy their own newspaper of choice. I do find the attitude of some folks on FT quite bizarre ... and slightly distasteful.
Sorry, folks, but there's some seriously questionable morality being shown here. I don't actually care about what BA said in the past, or what you get served on your flight. Surely the Lounges are for us ALL, as opposed to a first-come grab-everything "community"?

I'm honestly not in a grumpy mood, but I just think this is seriously disgraceful behaviour by people who are perfectly capable of buying whatever they need outside the Lounge. When we enter the Lounge, we expect certain things to be available ... and do NOT expect to have to leave the Lounge to buy things that have been plundered by those "Status" pax that have preceded us.

It's tacky ... does that make sense?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Genius1
Of course one can take a newspaper or magazine from the lounge. A packet of crisps is also no problem.

You seriously cannot expect somebody to start reading a paper and then leave it behind if they want to finish reading it.

I agree that there is a line - multiple packets of crisps or bottles of alcohol (and certainly non consumables such as wine glasses) should not be removed from the lounge.
What about one of the tellies?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by T8191
You are a delicate flower.

Can you afford your own newspaper? They sell them in the Concourse, where the tacky Public congregate.
I don't read newspapers in the concourse. I read them in the lounges and on board aircraft, where BA provide them for me. If I leave them behind unfinished, I would take a fresh paper on future stages of my journey.

Of course I wouldn't like having to leave a half finished crossword puzzle behind in the fruitcake stickied newspaper that you assure me someone else would like to read.....do BA really employ people to refold and iron newspapers??

I think expecting people to read second hand newspapers in a lounge for premium passengers is a lot more "tacky", both literally and figuratively.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HilFly
...do BA really employ people to refold and iron newspapers??
No, they have people like myself and the OH who have clean hands and try to re-fold as neatly as possible before returning the newspaper to whence it came.

Sorry if we've read the print off the page.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:05 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
At LHR there is something I regularly take from the Terraces lounge only when in transit -- always after asking.

2 miniature jars of orange marmalade These are UNAVAILABLE in Brasilia, Brazil (like custard) The concept simply does not exist.

So I pick up two miniatures, explain the situation to the reception, and ask if I may.

Do you know,Ive NEVER been refused. In fact, twice, they brought me a small carton containing 6 miniatures with a smile

When not in transit a bottle of my favourite Frank Cooper's thick cut Oxford marmalade is, of course, secure in my hand baggage ..( lasts less than a month though, half that time if I do a brunch and invite ppl from the Commonwealth Embassies )

So Í dont think there is any need to steal. Terraces staff are not pedantic and oblige when they can, within reason. A bottle of Champagne, I think, is not within reason but if it were a special occasion or circumstance, I am certain they would be obliging -- at least at LHR. If the JFK staff are still as sunny professional and wonderful as they were during my days of preflight dining back in 2008, I am sure this would be the case there as well!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
I have to say that the Belle Epoque is one of my favourites. If they served this in the lounge then I would probably persuade myself that a high altitude taste test was necessary for comparison purposes.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by T8191
I repeat ...

Sorry, folks, but there's some seriously questionable morality being shown here. I don't actually care about what BA said in the past, or what you get served on your flight. Surely the Lounges are for us ALL, as opposed to a first-come grab-everything "community"?

I'm honestly not in a grumpy mood, but I just think this is seriously disgraceful behaviour by people who are perfectly capable of buying whatever they need outside the Lounge. When we enter the Lounge, we expect certain things to be available ... and do NOT expect to have to leave the Lounge to buy things that have been plundered by those "Status" pax that have preceded us.

It's tacky ... does that make sense?
Totally agree with you, and with the quote you posted.

Yes I'll take one paper from the lounge (and take it with me, not pick up a new one elsewhere) but you're right T8191 - there are magazines and papers on the aircraft as well as snacks in all cabins. We also get a meal (or two) plus drinks. There's no need to be carrying these things from the lounge.

Before boarding any flight (long or short haul) I'll pay a visit to Smiths and Boots and buy my favourite magazine and some snacks for the journey.

As for recycling papers for future use - at LGW the cleaners at the gates tidy them up (after they've been left strewn all over the gate lounge) and those that are in good condition are put back for the benefit of those who travel later in the day. (Yes, this is the gate rather than the lounge but similar principle).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
What if it's a half eaten piece of fruitcake? Is it OK to take it with me or do I have to leave it behind in case T8191 fancies a snack?

I have taken a slice of fruitcake from the lounge on several occasions when I haven't had time to sit and eat it (usually because of the late arrival of my inbound flight) but I will sit and eat it at the gate while I wait to board the flight that was supposedly boarding. Some of us are connecting to flights where the food is virtually non existent, and we don't all have time to sit and stuff ourselves stupid in the lounge or to go grocery shopping in the terminal. Lounges are there to try and make life more pleasant, convenient and efficient for premium travellers.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Now I am playing Devil's advocate here to some extent. But I would argue the reverse.

I would have no qualms taking a bottle of wine out of the lounge and hiding it in so doing provided that it was for entirely legitimate purposes.

There is no reason that a lounge guest should be aware that she is not entitled to take a bottle of champagne out. Where are the signs saying that the fizz is for consumption in the lounge only?

It's a question of morals. I know they're lacking in a lot of people these days, but anybody with any kind of morals would know right from wrong.

I'm afraid I'm with Phil the Flyer on this. I find your statement (that I've emboldened) to be utterly distasteful.

As for your last para - where in the lounge does it say you can take a bottle of anything with you? It doesn't so why would you? And there are other signs asking you not to remove items from the lounge, so I don't get why it's so hard to read those.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I assume the takeaway coffee cups they provide are to actually take away too, as opposed to just cover the journey from machine to dragon gate.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I'm with Phil the Flyer
What time are you coming round then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.