Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MNManInKen
I remember driving past Heathrow once when Concorde took off on my right hand side, the noise was deafening even in my double glazed car

Lovely sight, though, to be overtaken by Concorde

Can't remember exactly where I was at the time, but I assume it must have been the Bath road at a location where there was enough of a gap in buildings to see the northern runway.,,
I used to teach courses in a building on Bath Road (A4) - always had a coffee break when it was due so everyone could watch.

What always amazed me was that it made the building vibrate, such was the power of the engines.

T
Old May 23, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Originally Posted by toothy
I used to teach courses in a building on Bath Road (A4) - always had a coffee break when it was due so everyone could watch.

What always amazed me was that it made the building vibrate, such was the power of the engines.

T
SAP by any chance?
Old May 23, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NotGoingBackToSteerage
SAP by any chance?
How did you guess
Old May 23, 2012, 6:52 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
1 - I am Short Haul, and never read a paper, but do watch clouds sometimes... So, I can't really say on how much time my Long Haul colleagues spend navel gazing...
Congrats on the move to widebodies BBB! You'll be able to answer this one now
Old May 23, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JetSet Lady
Apologies for returning to such a depressing subject, but a couple more points to the question of getting out of an aircraft in an emergency. Sorry if this is a bit too detailed and graphic but as has already been said, forewarned is forearmed.

1. Keep your shoes on for take-off and landing. It never fails to amaze me how many regular fliers take their shoes off as soon as sitting down. Even in a "semi-normal" evacuation, you do not want to be running around the tarmac in your socks.

2. If you are in a window seat, keep the window blind open. What is happening outside the aircraft could be a big clue on which way you need to go. It may also let extra light into the cabin.

3. Headphones. Don't just take them out of your ears and leave them hanging. Take them out completely and tidy up and stow the cables. If you need to get out of there in a hurry, you do not want to find yourself tangled up in the arm rest. In a fire situation, even a small delay can make a difference. Same for other electrics.

4. Keep the floor clear. No papers discarded as you read them. Bags tucked well under the seat if applicable. No bag handles trailing from under the seat.

5. Back to awareness. Don't just count the rows to the nearest exit. Make sure you know how far it is to the alternatives both, in front and behind.

6. During an evacuation, if fire is present, grab something to cover your mouth and nose. If nothing is available, use the head rest cover. 99% of the time, the fumes will kill before the fire does.

7. Again, in a fire situation, try to keep as low as is safely possible without risking being trampled.

8. I always keep my jacket on for take off and landing, not only because I could suddenly find myself running around in the cold outside, but also because it offers some protection from flying debris.

9. And yet again, awareness. What can you see happening around you? Is one exit obviously blocked? Is there another you can use? Are the seats in front of you empty? If need be, can you push the backs down and go over the top? Bear in mind you may not be able to hear instructions from the crew. Apart from hearing being one of the first senses to go in a traumatic incident, the noise and confusion will possibly/probably be overwhelming.

10. And finally, I know it's something we bang on about all the time, but watch the demo. Make some plans. Ask questions about anything you are unsure of. Have a look at one of the main doors. How do they work? Could you open one if the crew are incapacitated? Know the aircraft you are travelling on. No crew member worth their salt will have any problem with answering your queries if you explain why you are asking.

Once again, apologies for being so graphic and possibly stating the obvious in some areas. The above tips, in most part, cover the possible worse case scenarios, something which thankfully, the vast majority of people will never encounter. They aren't intended to frighten people. But if, God forbid, one of us should find ourselves in that situation, they may just help
Thanks JSL. I wouldn't say that I am a massively frequent flyer compared to some on here (around 120K miles a year) but it never ceases to amaze me how many people around me make such an effort to look disinterested at the safety demo. All aircraft are different and even regularly choosing the same seat number and row can put you in a different place. I always make a point of watching the demo and counting the number of steps to the nearest exit (yes, this has caused some strange looks in the past but hey, it's my safety). I work in what is described as a "high risk" profession and it would be daft to get away from work for an R&R rotation only to have something avoidable happen on the way home...
Old May 24, 2012, 12:23 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by toothy

T
Sorry to be pedantic but that vibration is not really related to the power, more an effect of the combination of frequency content and sound pressure level.

Even with reheat engaged, the power of each Concorde engine (so thrust) is only just over half the thrust of the ones used on the 744's and about a third of the thrust of those used on the 773's. The difference is the fan bypass technology now used and no reheat required.

Just goes to show how much the world of jet engines has advanced when an engine of 2-3 times the thrust is so significantly quieter than the 1960s counterpart.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thanks for all the SSC memories!
Old May 29, 2012, 12:35 am
Original Poster

One for the cabin/flight crew. I understand the time you have down route is often very short. This seems a pity in some nice places I am sure. Is there an option to extend your time? I can imagine this may give operational problems for retun flights of course!
Old May 29, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
New routes - do pilots have familiarisation flights?

So the new LCY - IOM flight is up and running and it got me wondering whether pilots have familiarisation flights on these new routes so they know where to go, the waypoints, etc. (and get familiar with the destination airport)?

Or are the charts and airport plans so detailed and standard that any pilot can pick an aircraft he is qualified for and fly to any destination in range?
Old May 29, 2012, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
(non-expert response)
Given that flight crew are familiar with flying duties in general and many routes and airports in particular and they need to be primed for (unfamilar?) diversion airports, I'd imagine a new route wouldn't need much familiarisation.

After all, Dean Martin and the other bloke were able to land a damaged 707 at diversion airport 'Lincoln International' in the Airport film. But that was over 40 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-n3QTlId0

And Wonder Woman took off in a crashed Concorde and emergency landed in Paris, all without instruction, in The Concorde ... Airport '79 - mysteriously retitled Airport '80: The Concorde for Brits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4Mg0t3czc
(from about 5:50 in)

[OK, I'm early with a bit of time to spare, hence the online searching ...]
Old May 29, 2012, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
(non-expert response)

And Wonder Woman took off in a crashed Concorde and emergency landed in Paris, all without instruction, in The Concorde ... Airport '79 - mysteriously retitled Airport '80: The Concorde for Brits.
Well that was pretty unrealistic, absolutely silly in fact. I mean, concord with a femail pilot

Old May 29, 2012, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
No, pilots aren't given an induction on every route in the network. BA does have a procedure for risk assessing all new routes, and specific briefings, including videos for some airports, are prepared. One issue with the 777 wrong intersection takeoff was lack of familiarity (first time for both captain and FO) -and this was not a new route.

I think that places like GIB, INN etc (ie higher risk airports) do have either specific training or some sort of enhanced briefing mechanism.

Biggest issue for Ronaldsway is fog!

That's my understanding.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4Mg0t3czc
(from about 5:50 in) ...]
That was a very amusing 10 minutes. Look at all that space in the cockpit, just a simple control column for each pilot and a couple of switches in the ceiling. And that's it - she managed to take off and land without ever touching a control column
Old May 29, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Well that was pretty unrealistic, absolutely silly in fact. I mean, concord Concorde with a femail female pilot

Don't worry, I fixed it for ya!
Old May 29, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I think that places like GIB, INN etc (ie higher risk airports) do have either specific training or some sort of enhanced briefing mechanism.
The key point on the network, going back to the OP's question, is London City, for which there is some required additional training for all operators to have experience of the Steep Approach etc. Each operator's Risk Assessment (done for every airport on their scheduled network) doubtless adds to this in some way. One common starting point is that it may be classed as a "Captain Only" landing (which, given that the crew generally alternate sectors, means that most departures from London City will be by handled the First Officer).

We do still get "Proving Flights" at London City before a new operator starts service, as they check out their procedures. These have generally disappeared elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.