Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Very interesting ^ I do hope you are somewhere where it is a reasonable time of day and not just being an insomniac like me .
Indeed... I am in a different time zone... Heading home in a few hours...
Old May 16, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arh1
Similar question... from the FA's point of view how often is too often for a passenger to push the call button? I don't mean some child pushing it on and off repeatedly to annoy, but a passenger (say in WT or CW) requesting drink etc?
At the end of the day, I am there to respond to passenger requests... So, if they press it ever couple of minutes, I will have to go... I can't say it becomes annoying, only repetitive. When it is "annoying", if you like, is when someone presses the call bell and asks for a drink, then you take it to them, then the person sat next to them asks for a drink etc... So, I usually say when I am there, "Anyone else like anything whilst I am here?" so they have the opportunity to ask at the same time etc...
Old May 16, 2012, 10:40 am

Techie Question.

I read recently that the 777 has lower cabin pressure than other aircraft. Which got me thinking, when the plane came out I remember lots of crews complaining that they didn't like the plane as it made them feel ill. So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know what cabin pressures are used in different aircraft?
2. If the 777 is different has anybody ever studied the effects: do people suffer worse jet lag from journeys on this plane; Do PAX drink less as a result - or they just get more drunk?
3. Any cabin crew here have anecdotal evidence to shed light on this.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Similar question... from the FA's point of view how often is too often for a passenger to push the call button? I don't mean some child pushing it on and off repeatedly to annoy, but a passenger (say in WT or CW) requesting drink etc?
You can press it as many times as you like and have as many drinks as you like as long as you don't get drunk!
The crew really won't mind at all.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I can't say it becomes annoying, only repetitive. When it is "annoying", if you like, is when someone presses the call bell and asks for a drink, then you take it to them, then the person sat next to them asks for a drink etc... So, I usually say when I am there, "Anyone else like anything whilst I am here?" so they have the opportunity to ask at the same time etc...
Fair enough, Thank you.

I was travelling with a friend a while ago, not on BA, on a short domestic hop and pushed the call button to get a drink - friend was shocked and thought I was incredibly rude by doing so. I pointed out that that is partly what it is there for.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough, Thank you.

I was travelling with a friend a while ago, not on BA, on a short domestic hop and pushed the call button to get a drink - friend was shocked and thought I was incredibly rude by doing so. I pointed out that that is partly what it is there for.
And that is fine... It is indeed what it is there for, as well as requesting other assistance...

Personally, I don't use it... I prefer to go to the galley as I usually combine a request for something with a loo visit and leg stretching... But, that is just me.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Fair enough, Thank you.

It is fine to press the call bell and of course people in the window and middle seats find it quite hard to get out without disturbing everyone else, so it is easier for them to make requests by using the call bell.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Yes the Airbus tells you who pressed the call bell on a small display as well as a bong and a light in the galley ceiling. On the older Boeing aircraft it is just a light and a bong (on the side of the aircraft that the call bell was pressed). The more modern boeings may now indicate the seat numbers, not sure as I have not flown on a 777 or Jumbo for a while but I would imagine this technology is installed in all newer aircraft nowadays.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
On the B777 you get the seat number on the screen in each galley plus a zone indication at the doors of that area on the B767 and B744 you only get a zone indication at the doors.
Thank you very much that is my Knowledge Thirst quenched!

/AE
Old May 17, 2012, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Indeed... I am in a different time zone... Heading home in a few hours...
Oh good, hope you had a nice time.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I understand that he might be feeling a little bit sick this morning after too much cheesecake.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I understand that he might be feeling a little bit sick this morning after too much cheesecake.
Erm... Me? Nope... Did not go... Did go to the mall though, but to buy a gift or two for mother...
Old May 17, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Is Heathrow currently trialling to use both runways for landing at the same time? Saw two Planes flying in Formation approaching from the West. I always thought the clearance between the runways wasn't wide enough to do this.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Herman ze German
Is Heathrow currently trialling to use both runways for landing at the same time? Saw two Planes flying in Formation approaching from the West. I always thought the clearance between the runways wasn't wide enough to do this.
2 concordes did a parallel landing on their last flights (002 and 9021C IIRC), but that's the only time I have ever known it. Wouldn't it put a lot of burden on the ATCs if they did it as a matter of course?.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
We do use both runways for landings already considerably between 0600-0700 local, and during other times of day for up to 6 arrivals on to the departure runway when the inbound delay gets to 20mins.

Normally, we need to apply a 2nm diagonal separation betwwen aircraft on parallel runways.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Interesting book review. Any comments from our esteemed FAs?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/bu...road.html?_r=1
Heather Poole is an odd one - I follow her on Twitter, and have noticed she has a "US and the FA is right on all accounts" attitude. Don't dare disagree with her - she can be quite vitiriolic if you do!

That said, half tempted to see her book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.