Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Thanks Littlegirl, it just seems to me to be redundant.
Old May 6, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
I have a BA flight tomorrow morning for which I couldn't check-in online. I called BA and the agent said that check-in has been disabled for all passengers (or words to that effect) for this flight, but that it is scheduled to operate on time. Anyone has any idea what might lead to preventing all people from checking in to a flight.

TIA,

Sagy
Old May 6, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Sagy
I have a BA flight tomorrow morning for which I couldn't check-in online. I called BA and the agent said that check-in has been disabled for all passengers (or words to that effect) for this flight, but that it is scheduled to operate on time. Anyone has any idea what might lead to preventing all people from checking in to a flight.

TIA,

Sagy
They might be looking at upgrading some people because some cabins might be overbooked, this sometimes seems to be a reason this happens.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
They might be looking at upgrading some people because some cabins might be overbooked, this sometimes seems to be a reason this happens.
Thanks, maybe I'll get lucky.

This is my 1,000 post on FT and it is very appropriate that is it is a Thanks to a member.

So let me add a big thank you to all the members.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

TIA,

Sagy
Could be an equipment change.
Old May 6, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, maybe I'll get lucky.
This is my 1,000 post on FT and it is very appropriate that is it is a Thanks to a member.
So let me add a big thank you to all the members.
Hey, that's nice!
Happy Ambassadorialing
Old May 7, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
This is a bit of an odd (and quite complicated) one...but here goes! I suspect the pilots or ATC most likely to be able to answer!

Currently doing a group engineering coursework at university which involves a project set by BAA Heathrow. The coursework is aimed at redeclaring runway distances when an obstacle is placed on the runway - had a lot of late night reading surrounding runway distance declarations and what not. As such, I've got a rather bizarre curiosity.

Anyway, my question pertains to runway 09L / 27R - although it applies to 09R / 27L!

Both 09L and 09R have displaced thresholds of 306 and 307 metres respectively, so planes touch down beyond that for landings on those runways. By the diagrams we've been given to work some stuff out, the Take Off Climb Surface has a ratio of 1:50 as does the Approach Landing Surface.

So, the root of the question, I guess. The LDA of 09L is 3595 metres, the TORA of 27R is 3884 metres. Judging by what we've given, intuition would suggest they should be the same given the other variables. Can anyone explain?

Last edited by Beaulieu; May 8, 2012 at 6:26 am
Old May 8, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm monstrously rusty on the subject, but might that have something to do with obstacle clearance somewhere along the 1:50? Or something as simple as being allowed to start the take-off run before the displaced threshold?
Old May 8, 2012, 3:23 am
Suspended

Don't quite understand what question you're asking - is it why the LDA for 09L isn't the same as the TORA for 27R?

I think that the glide slope used at LHR is 3 degrees but the climb gradient is 4 degrees, which would mean that the obstacle on approach to 09L is not an obstacle for the (steeper) departure from 27R.

(edit) T8191, the displaced threshold is at the western end - so starting a takeoff run from within it is not an option for departures on 27R
Old May 8, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

simonrp84 … noted re displaced thresholds

However, "… the Take Off Climb Surface has a ratio of 1:50 as does the Approach Landing Surface."

Last edited by T8191; May 8, 2012 at 3:58 am
Old May 8, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Don't quite understand what question you're asking - is it why the LDA for 09L isn't the same as the TORA for 27R?

I think that the glide slope used at LHR is 3 degrees but the climb gradient is 4 degrees, which would mean that the obstacle on approach to 09L is not an obstacle for the (steeper) departure from 27R.

(edit) T8191, the displaced threshold is at the western end - so starting a takeoff run from within it is not an option for departures on 27R
That is my question, yes

Page 3-6 says here that the TOCS and ALS are both 1:50 for Heathrow: http://www.heathrowairport.com/stati...ome_Manual.pdf

Someone suggested to me yesterday it may be to do with the positioning of the localiser, but wasn't entirely sure!
Old May 8, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yes, the positioning of the displaced thresholds is governed by the ILS antenna (specifically the Glide Path) and associated sensitive and critical areas. If positioned to allow the easterly thresholds to be at the beginning of the hard surface, the critical and sensitive areas would extend outside the airport perimeter, thus they would be unable to safeguarded.

Nothing to do with obstacle clearances.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:57 am
Suspended

Thanks for clearing that up, H.T., I hadn't considered that possibility.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
OK BA staffers, help us please with the pj thread. Are the pjs washed and reused "recycled" or do we get brand new ones on every flight?

Help solve a delima on another thread. And any anecdotes of men and their BA jammies?
Old May 8, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Always new, we wouldn't let anyone's cast offs touch your skin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.