Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue ivory
Two bongs or three ?

Ok, this is a VERY geeky question, for which I apologise in advance. It concerns the takeoff bongs.

BA always "bong" as the plane heads onto the runway to warn that it's about to takeoff.

Sometimes it's two bongs, and sometimes it's three.

The only pattern I can see is that the Airbus planes seem to give two and the Boeings three. (certainly the 737-400s do)

Am i right, or is there more to it than that ?
Old May 15, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by andrew72
Ok, this is a VERY geeky question, for which I apologise in advance. It concerns the takeoff bongs.

BA always "bong" as the plane heads onto the runway to warn that it's about to takeoff.

Sometimes it's two bongs, and sometimes it's three.

The only pattern I can see is that the Airbus planes seem to give two and the Boeings three. (certainly the 737-400s do)

Am i right, or is there more to it than that ?
Nope... That is all correct.

On the Airbus, the signal used to notify the crew is triggered by switching something like the emergency exit lights off then back on, or the no smoking signs off then back on, which, to look at, you would not notice as the on/off sequence is so quick, however, that sequence triggers the two "bongs" that you hear in the cabin etc...

I am new to larger Boeing aircraft, so not sure how the signal to the cabin is initiated by the flight crew, but whatever they do does make the 3 hi-lo chimes you hear.
Old May 15, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

On the Airbus, the signal used to notify the crew is triggered by switching something like the emergency exit lights off then back on, or the no smoking signs off then back on, which, to look at, you would not notice as the on/off sequence is so quick, however, that sequence triggers the two "bongs" that you hear in the cabin etc...

I am new to larger Boeing aircraft, so not sure how the signal to the cabin is initiated by the flight crew, but whatever they do does make the 3 hi-lo chimes you hear.
Very interesting ^ I do hope you are somewhere where it is a reasonable time of day and not just being an insomniac like me .
Old May 15, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Question regarding the bingbongs (via) the call for assistance button.

When someone presses the call for assistance button I have been told that on some aircraft the crew in the galleys can see who has pressed it and on some aircraft they don't (they just have to look at illuminated light above the seat).

Can someone please shed some light?

/AE
Old May 16, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue ivory
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

Thank you so much The bong numbers have been puzzling me for months
Old May 16, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by angeloedades
Question regarding the bingbongs (via) the call for assistance button.

When someone presses the call for assistance button I have been told that on some aircraft the crew in the galleys can see who has pressed it and on some aircraft they don't (they just have to look at illuminated light above the seat).

Can someone please shed some light?

/AE
Yes the Airbus tells you who pressed the call bell on a small display as well as a bong and a light in the galley ceiling. On the older Boeing aircraft it is just a light and a bong (on the side of the aircraft that the call bell was pressed). The more modern boeings may now indicate the seat numbers, not sure as I have not flown on a 777 or Jumbo for a while but I would imagine this technology is installed in all newer aircraft nowadays.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
On the B777 you get the seat number on the screen in each galley plus a zone indication at the doors of that area on the B767 and B744 you only get a zone indication at the doors.
Old May 16, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
On the B777 you get the seat number on the screen in each galley plus a zone indication at the doors of that area on the B767 and B744 you only get a zone indication at the doors.
Flew EK many years ago and after the 3rd or 4th time I asked the CC for a drink she appeared with a selection and some savoury snacks, no need to ask after that. I bonged and she appeared with a cold beer!
Old May 16, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
Flew EK many years ago and after the 3rd or 4th time I asked the CC for a drink she appeared with a selection and some savoury snacks, no need to ask after that. I bonged and she appeared with a cold beer!
EK has all kinds of snacks and drinks right there in the arm rest, in both F and J.
Old May 16, 2012, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Interesting book review. Any comments from our esteemed FAs?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/bu...road.html?_r=1
Old May 16, 2012, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
EK has all kinds of snacks and drinks right there in the arm rest, in both F and J.
Not in all of their fleet. I flew to Dubai last January in J, but no mini bar
Old May 16, 2012, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Not in all of their fleet. I flew to Dubai last January in J, but no mini bar
Interesting, the ones that I've been on had them. Wonder which ones don't.
Old May 16, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I'm going back 8yrs+ in Y.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
I'm going back 8yrs+ in Y.
I didn't know the Tardis had a Y cabin...
Old May 16, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Yes the Airbus tells you who pressed the call bell on a small display as well as a bong and a light in the galley ceiling. On the older Boeing aircraft it is just a light and a bong (on the side of the aircraft that the call bell was pressed). The more modern boeings may now indicate the seat numbers, not sure as I have not flown on a 777 or Jumbo for a while but I would imagine this technology is installed in all newer aircraft nowadays.
Similar question... from the FA's point of view how often is too often for a passenger to push the call button? I don't mean some child pushing it on and off repeatedly to annoy, but a passenger (say in WT or CW) requesting drink etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.