Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 3:37 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
One for the cabin/flight crew. I understand the time you have down route is often very short. This seems a pity in some nice places I am sure. Is there an option to extend your time? I can imagine this may give operational problems for retun flights of course!
No you cannot extend your time down route as we are governed by the flight schedual and our roster that is given to us by BA.

On some of our fleets you can bid for trips, ie. E/F, M/F and LGW have a preference bid system where you give your personal choices of trips and days off points and the roster system tries to takes account of the type of work you like. So you could put in a preference for a longer trip type. On WW they are just rostered their trips on a supposedly fair share system but do get a couple of trip requests per year and can request a trip and our pilots bid for roster lines using a seniority based system, so the more senior pilots get a reasonable amount of choice over the type of trips they do but the less senior ones have less control.

The only time you could extend your time down route would be in the rare situation that you were due to position home, this can happen at season end or start when the frequencies go up or down, although you would have to have permission from BA and it would not be normal because things can go wrong and therefore even positioning crews can suddenly be required to work at short notice.

Hope that helps.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
As said CC cannot extend their trips down route but I have been on trips where flight crew have swapped with each other to extend their trip while the other one went home earlier.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
As said CC cannot extend their trips down route but I have been on trips where flight crew have swapped with each other to extend their trip while the other one went home earlier.
Thanks this is kind of what I was meaning. And thanks too to Littlegirl for the very full response ^

While I'm on the thanks, well done neverfirst for picking up my spelling of female. However I beg to differ on Concord - I know what was in BA's brand guidelines but I am English, the aircraft is English, the BA ones were all registered in England as well as being based in England and in England Concorde is a spelling mistake
Old May 29, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
However I beg to differ on Concord - I know what was in BA's brand guidelines but I am English, the aircraft is English, the BA ones were all registered in England as well as being based in England and in England Concorde is a spelling mistake
(Since we're OT, here goes.) No, the plane was Concorde. It was the minister of technology Tony Benn who decided thus.
Originally Posted by wikipedia
The aircraft was initially referred to in the UK as Concorde, with the French spelling, but was officially changed to Concord by Harold Macmillan in response to a perceived slight by Charles de Gaulle. In 1967, at the French roll-out in Toulouse the British Government Minister for Technology, Tony Benn, announced that he would change the spelling back to Concorde. This created a nationalist uproar that died down when Benn stated that the suffixed ⟨e⟩ represented "Excellence, England, Europe and Entente (Cordiale)." In his memoirs, he recounts a tale of a letter from an irate Scotsman claiming: "[Y]ou talk about 'E' for England, but part of it is made in Scotland." Given Scotland’s contribution of providing the nose cone for the aircraft, Benn replied, "[I]t was also 'E' for 'Écosse' (the French name for Scotland) — and I might have added 'e' for extravagance and 'e' for escalation as well!"

Concorde also acquired an unusual nomenclature for an aircraft. In common usage in the United Kingdom, the type is known as Concorde without an article, rather than the Concorde or a Concorde.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde#Naming
Old May 29, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
It was the minister of technology Tony Benn who decided thus.
He didn't consult me. If Tony Benn wished to roll over to certain Europeans for political reasons at the time far be it for me to criticise him. But I have never particularly agreed with Mr Benn's thoughts on life, have certainly never followed his lead and I definitely am not starting now. It's an interesting aside that the way Tony Benn simply accepted this defeat prompted one of the Yes Minister episodes concerning the language of the menus on the trains in the Chunnel.

You are absolutely and totally correct that the official name has an E on the end. I am not disputing that because it is an undeniable fact. However, I still call it Concord, and will not change.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: BA
He didn't consult me. If Tony Benn wished to roll over to certain Europeans for political reasons at the time far be it for me to criticise him. But I have never particularly agreed with Mr Benn's thoughts on life, have certainly never followed his lead and I definitely am not starting now.
Tony Benn was MP for Bristol East, and had a significant number of constituents working at the Concorde assembly plant in Bristol. The whole city also regarded the aircraft favourably (I'm sure Toulouse did likewise).

The fact that it would convey a group of high earners, who in all other respects he publically hated the guts of, therefore went entirely over his head.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:42 am

Pink Z luggage tag?

Mrs Muscat arrived at LHR this morning, but one case didn't arrive on the belt. She spoke to the BA help, and was told it would turn up on a different belt. it did, complete with a large pink label with the letter Z on it. (attached to the original luggage tag)
What does this new label signify?
Old May 29, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
You are absolutely and totally correct that the official name has an E on the end. I am not disputing that because it is an undeniable fact. However, I still call it Concord, and will not change.
Crivens man! It's just a name.

My friend's name is Stefan (he's English, has a German mother) - do I call him Steven? Well, yes, I do sometimes, but only to annoy him because that isn't his name.

Concorde is called Concorde. With an 'e'. That is what its 'parents' called it, so it is not up to us to change it.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:52 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Why is Aberdeen Airport "ABZ" in the IATA airport codes?

Both ABN and ABD are not currently allocated codes and either of these would have been far more logical
Old May 29, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Both ABN and ABD are not currently allocated codes
ABD : Abadan, Iran
ABN : Albina, Surinam
Old May 30, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well that was pretty unrealistic, absolutely silly in fact. I mean, concord with a femail pilot

So many errors in that including the size of the windows, and from a continuity point of view the nose goes from up to down to up again once the plane has landed. I'm sure that's nothing to do with the use of stock footage or anything.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
As a long-time former resident of south Manchester, I am interested to know what goes on at the BA offices in Manchester. For starters, it seems to include HO of BA CityFlyer (presumably a consequence of BACON being there?). There are also references on various trade sites to 'Groups' being managed from the office and I think it's where seating requests (in the few cases that they are now allowed) are handled. Any confirmation/anything else?
Old May 31, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by pennineuk
As a long-time former resident of south Manchester, I am interested to know what goes on at the BA offices in Manchester. For starters, it seems to include HO of BA CityFlyer (presumably a consequence of BACON being there?). There are also references on various trade sites to 'Groups' being managed from the office and I think it's where seating requests (in the few cases that they are now allowed) are handled. Any confirmation/anything else?
I have a couple of friends in HR based there
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by pennineuk
....the BA offices in Manchester. For starters, it seems to include HO of BA CityFlyer (presumably a consequence of BACON being there?).
Airline corporate head offices well removed from the airline's operations (as with CityFlyer in Manchester) are unusual, but not unique. The old Dan-Air company had their headquarters in the City of London, near Liverpool Street station (they also had their aircraft base at Lasham in Hampshire, not even an airport, but just an old RAF runway and a few hangars literally in the middle of nowhere). Meanwhile the old Panagra company, with extensive operations from Panama down through all of South America, had their head office building in New York City, in the opposite hemisphere to where all their operations were.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:37 am

There's a short piece filmed inside Terminal Control, home of Heathrow Approach, in this BBC clip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.