Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Tis may help explain what's mean better. You can just see what I am talking about in this photo of the port door.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tipsfor...rs/3685456668/
High up is a grab handle just behind the door (there is a mirror somewhere up there too, not visible in the photo). Follow that line down till you are level with the top of the lockers, and there is the box I am referring to. An oblong box with a small round lens like object at the top. In the picture, if you zoom in, it appears to have a red light on the front.

Of course what I am asking may be to do with security, in which case pls ignore me.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Tis may help explain what's mean better. You can just see what I am talking about in this photo of the port door.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tipsfor...rs/3685456668/
High up is a grab handle just behind the door (there is a mirror somewhere up there too, not visible in the photo). Follow that line down till you are level with the top of the lockers, and there is the box I am referring to. An oblong box with a small round lens like object at the top. In the picture, if you zoom in, it appears to have a red light on the front.

Of course what I am asking may be to do with security, in which case pls ignore me.
I have not got a clue...

However... Are YOU Mr. Tipsfortravellers?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What you can see in the red cover of the evacuation initiation switch.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Can I help you
What you can see in the red cover of the evacuation initiation switch.
I never saw one of those in any BA lavatories, even in CW.

Is this a possible future 'enhancement' for Premium pax?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Ok, I thought you were talking about something in the ceiling.

Glad we sorted that out.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Ok, I thought you were talking about something in the ceiling.

Glad we sorted that out.
I did too... Woops!

Good job I am not on the 747 yet then... I would have been pressing the CCTV camera for the evac alarm!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think I now have some ideas of SEP questions to ask you in briefing.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that - definitely not one to touch then!

And no I'm not Mr Tipsfortravellers. I just was sad enough to Google "BA upper deck emergency door photo"!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by dunk
Rather like medical students using a saline drip to mitigate the effects of a skinful !
Ha ha - friends of mine at Uni used to do this...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
On the 747 the temperature is controlled from the flight deck over the entire aircraft until shortly after top of climb. After that each cabin can be controlled from the CSDs office within a range of 6 degrees from the flight deck controller.
Why does the flight deck control the temperature until the top of climb, and the limit the range thereafter? I guess the second is because it impacts fuel economy (?).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Brilliant thread. Spent 5 hours reading it from post 1 to the end last night.

Anway, questions:

One for the CCs:

What's the most worrying/concerning question you have ever had to ask a passenger?.

Was once asked just after landing at LHR on an AA flight, by a rather concerned looking FA 'Did you see any smoke or fire from the engine on our final approach and landing?' Fortunately I could answer 'no' to her, otherwise I think we would have been deplaned rather quickly!

Apparently ATC had seen 'smoke' from the no 2 engine (we were on a 777), and they sent the fire trucks to 'meet' us.

One for the ATCs:

How often do you see something wrong/odd with an aircraft like the above? And how often do you see tailstrikes nowadays?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpurMan

Apparently ATC had seen 'smoke' from the no 2 engine (we were on a 777), and they sent the fire trucks to 'meet' us.
Probably it's just that it's an old deisel engine, or the piston rings are wearing
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:50 am

One for the ATCs:

How often do you see something wrong/odd with an aircraft like the above? And how often do you see tailstrikes nowadays?
I thought ATCs were subject to the mushroom effect and don't have windows to look out of! Ground controllers/those in the tower would actually be able to see the physical aircraft, I would expect; ATCs only get to see virtual blobs on their radar screens, unless they sneeze, in which case they become physical blobs, but not representing aircraft!

Of course, I am not an ATC, nor do I play one on TV, so this is just my unprofessional speculation, and probably deviates from others' reality considerably!

rb211.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Tower/Local should have their eyes on the airfield and the aircraft.

Radar controllers should be looking at their digital displays, which lack any subtlety at all. The old school used proper analogue radar, where the blob told you something. There aren't many of us left
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:45 pm

Was once asked just after landing at LHR on an AA flight, by a rather concerned looking FA 'Did you see any smoke or fire from the engine on our final approach and landing?' Fortunately I could answer 'no' to her, otherwise I think we would have been deplaned rather quickly!

One for the ATCs:

Fortunately, not very often is the answer to your question, in the majority of occasions the crew are aware of any emergency before ATC. The most common thing we spot, IME, would be a "smoking undercarriage". This is sometimes indicative of a burst tyre for example. But you often get the appearance of a smoking undercarriage from de-icing fluid. At the start of the winter season you have to get used to seeing it as it raises the heart rate a little the first time every year.
In general I would say that, at Gatwick, we have between 5 and 10 priority approaches per week ranging from an ill passenger to more serious issues with the aeroplane.

As for tailstrikes, I have no idea I am afraid on the stats for these, but here is one that happened recently. http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...strike-370363/

B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.