Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
removed, blond moment worked out, remembered someone in the US didn't take AMEX!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1
It's showing my mastercard points as 500 odd, isn't mastercard 1 point for every £5? there is no way i've spent 2.5k on it. Is that right, i'm having a blond moment.
1.25 Avios per £5 on the Mastercard I think - I've not used mine, it's sat in the filing cabinet.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Is it double in the US as that would explain the 500
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1
Is it double in the US as that would explain the 500
Yes, I think so.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
A question. If you refund a transaction on the Amex, is the money refunded available for spending on the Mastercard? ie are the accounts totally separate or not?

I was thinking about loading up on refundable Amex transactions, safe in the knowledge that I could trigger refunds when Mastercard-able tax payments come round later in the year.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Yes you will get a 9x bonus on top of your base points. You will get 2.5 base points on foreign spend, so effectively you will get 25x.
Well T and C states bonus Avios will post within 30 days. clearly this is not the cause so its time to put pen to paper.!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
A question. If you refund a transaction on the Amex, is the money refunded available for spending on the Mastercard? ie are the accounts totally separate or not?

I was thinking about loading up on refundable Amex transactions, safe in the knowledge that I could trigger refunds when Mastercard-able tax payments come round later in the year.
It's exactly the same account, just with two cards.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C

As far as I can see the back-end of the system treats the Amex/MC transactions the same with no separation.

Are you assuming that as long as you aren't triggering significant refunds back to your bank, they won't subject your account to special scrutiny and clawback your 9x bonus?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pauldb
As far as I can see the back-end of the system treats the Amex/MC transactions the same with no separation.

Are you assuming that as long as you aren't triggering significant refunds back to your bank, they won't subject your account to special scrutiny and clawback your 9x bonus?
Yes. I think as long as you have positive NET monthly spend then you should be OK. In any event, it is a no risk proposition since the worst than can happen is that they remove the Avios which I wouldn't otherwise have earned anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:47 am

Great idea.

To do a refund in a foreign currency would be tempting and the exposure to a shift in the fx rate possibly worth the risk HOWEVER, how would they process the refund?

Would it be debit $100 take a 3% slice, refund $100 take a 3% slice so you lose 6% on top of any fx movement.
Or debit $100 take a 3% slice, refund $100 and re-credit the 3% slice so only exposure is to fx movement

Last edited by COOLIO; Mar 8, 2012 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Ignore!)

Last edited by Raffles; Mar 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:40 am

Thanks. Best just stick to GBP stuff then.

For anyone with pets, you can always stock up on dog food etc at zooplus.com. It's the euro version of the .co.uk version. Some prices seem different so check whether it's worth it (some items I checked we're either the same or cheaper on the .com site). It also may not work with topcashback or their usual vouchers etc.

Last edited by COOLIO; Mar 8, 2012 at 7:47 am
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You lose 6%. I have experienced this recently with a lot of BA flight refunds (I Eurocheat so all taxes are paid in Euros).
Originally Posted by COOLIO
Thanks. Best just stick to GBP stuff then.

For anyone with pets, you can always stock up on dog food etc at zooplus.com. It's the euro version of the .co.uk version. Some prices seem different so check whether it's worth it (some items I checked we're either the same or cheaper on the .com site). It also may not work with topcashback or their usual vouchers etc.
Raffles, I actually have a different experience. In November after the Avios changes, I cancelled a booking and then rebooked on the same day (to take advantage in a drop in the redemption amount). The underlying CZK amount to hit my card was exactly the same for the refund and the charge, the exchange rate was the same, the comission was the same, and the £ amount was the same!
So in that case they added back the commission. I'm not sure if this was a one off mistake, an exception for reward bookings, or something else? However my one data points indicates it is not a problem.

However if you do get charged 6%, it means you are buying the additional 12.5 miles at around 0.5p per Avio. So arguably it is still a good deal.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:15 am

Assuming they don't take back those bonus miles. Which is a big assumption.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by COOLIO
Assuming they don't take back those bonus miles. Which is a big assumption.
They can't have it both ways. Either it's a refund, in which case the total amount should be returned. Or it's a repayment, in which case the Avios should stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.