Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet to be announced Exec Club changes: your fears, conjecture and general grousing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
I think this is all speculation and subject to change anyway. Indeed BA is joing Iberia and the awards will probably be more standard with OW alliance.

This I can think: Too many unredeemed miles and fewer planes at much higher capacity.

We know AA and UA/CO already sent some changes to the Elite programs and MM lifetime. I am afraid there is more to come.

That is why I have some reservations regarding the US Airways miles bonus plus GS Those may be devalued as well.

Feel really sorry for those who converted MR.. to BA....
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:14 am

It's been said more than once in this thread, but, I'm also going to add my voice to the BA members that reside in North America.

Until the Partner redemption charts are published by BA, many of us North American BAEC members will continue to be anxious. I like some others have over 1M BA points in a household account. Because of the huge taxes/fuel surcharges associated with BA metal flights over the past few years, I've been flying with BA partners such as CX or AA to avoid having to pay those hefty extra fees. For our family, for every 1 BA flight, we travel with a BA partner 3 times. We use BA miles primarily for recreational travel, so, changing destinations to the Far East, South America, or Continental USA is a no brainer if we want to save funds by not taking a BA flight.

For those that are calling us 'NA whiners', we're voicing our concerns because it's entirely possible that due to the way we fly (ie. using BA partners) effectively our BA miles could become devalued come Nov/15.

If partner airlines travel require significantly more Avios points for travel come Nov/2011, then as someone else had mentioned previously, BA should think twice about grandfathering BA mile points using the old redemption charts.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
It's been said more than once in this thread, but, I'm also going to add my voice to the BA members that reside in North America.

Until the Partner redemption charts are published by BA, many of us North American BAEC members will continue to be anxious. I like some others have over 1M BA points in a household account. Because of the huge taxes/fuel surcharges associated with BA metal flights over the past few years, I've been flying with BA partners such as CX or AA to avoid having to pay those hefty extra fees. For our family, for every 1 BA flight, we travel with a BA partner 3 times. We use BA miles primarily for recreational travel, so, changing destinations to the Far East, South America, or Continental USA is a no brainer if we want to save funds by not taking a BA flight.

For those that are calling us 'NA whiners', we're voicing our concerns because it's entirely possible that due to the way we fly (ie. using BA partners) effectively our BA miles could become devalued come Nov/15.

If partner airlines travel require significantly more Avios points for travel come Nov/2011, then as someone else had mentioned previously, BA should think twice about grandfathering BA mile points using the old redemption charts.
OK - for once a reasonable post.

I can understand you being anxious - but you must remember that your compatriots claims of suddenly needing 20 zillion Avios points to travel from New York to Boston in the luggage hold are nothing more than speculation (and irritation for that matter).

If you're sitting on a 'stash' of miles and you are concerned that your planned redemptions are going to become more expensive, you have 2 months to get your redemptions in at current rates. Remember that miles bookings are fully flexible so if the rates change in your favour in November you could consider cancelling and rebooking for a small fee.

Anxious is fine - and totally understandable ! ^

BAH
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
OK - for once a reasonable post.

I can understand you being anxious - but you must remember that your compatriots claims of suddenly needing 20 zillion Avios points to travel from New York to Boston in the luggage hold are nothing more than speculation (and irritation for that matter).
Reasonable, yes. Avoiding hyperbole, yes.

However, a further revelation of how many people seem to join BAEC and yet avoid flying on BA. I know there's a oneworld thing, but seen from BA's POV it must be just a little bit frustrating seeing all these NA members never putting their bums on a BA seat. It's supposed to be a Frequent Flyer Programme.

Personally, I don't care. I'm time-rich, cash-rich and Miles-rich. And the taxes and fees that cause so much angst 'over there' don't bother me in the slightest. We just carry on flying Club on a 4-sector trip to the US East Coast in CE/CW for around $1,000 US each [$200 each more on a bad day]. I certainly don't expect BA to consider reducing that cost to $500 pp ... they would go bust.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mrmagoo

Until the Partner redemption charts are published by BA, many of us North American BAEC members will continue to be anxious.
To be fair it is British Airways and therefore designed around UK and European members firstly.
It has been particularly galling to read how some N American members have been able to redeem on some great routes at considerable less cost than it has been for European and especially UK based members so I doubt that there is going to be much sympathy for you lot if, and it's a big if....the cost of redeeming is raised in miles or cash terms. Let's face it most of the ones that have been doing the moaning are not really BA flyers anyway.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
However, a further revelation of how many people seem to join BAEC and yet avoid flying on BA. I know there's a oneworld thing, but seen from BA's POV it must be just a little bit frustrating seeing all these NA members never putting their bums on a BA seat. It's supposed to be a Frequent Flyer Programme.

Personally, I don't care. I'm time-rich, cash-rich and Miles-rich. And the taxes and fees that cause so much angst 'over there' don't bother me in the slightest. We just carry on flying Club on a 4-sector trip to the US East Coast in CE/CW for around $1,000 US each [$200 each more on a bad day]. I certainly don't expect BA to consider reducing that cost to $500 pp ... they would go bust.
Regarding North American flyers who don't fly BA:

This is a direct result of BA's decision to sell miles to Chase and Chase's decision to offer massive 100k signup bonuses. Prior to that time, many of us didn't have BA accounts and would likely have credited any BA flights to our AA accounts (as AA has no surcharges and AA elite benefits are likely more useful to US-based flyers).

It is further a result of BAs use of absurd "fuel surcharges" to gouge customers using their miles, as well as the heinous London "taxes" on premium cabin travel. These are concepts that are mostly unknown in the US where you only pay relatively low federally mandated taxes and fees on award tickets (usually about $10 on my southwest roundtrips, and maybe +$70 on an international ticket).

Consumers are not stupid. When they can redeem fewer miles and spend few $$ for award seats on partners they are going to bypass BA. In the same way that UA customers use partners to bypass UA's mediocre premium product.

So while you don't care, the massive devaluation is a big deal to us yanks. I am just thankful that I recently zeroed out my BA account. And in December I will cancel my Chase card and let them know exactly why I am doing it.

FF programs stopped being a reward to frequent travelers a long time ago, when the airlines realized that they could turn the programmes into a profit center by selling miles. Get over it.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
It is further a result of BAs use of absurd "fuel surcharges" to gouge customers using their miles, as well as the heinous London "taxes" on premium cabin travel. These are concepts that are mostly unknown in the US where you only pay relatively low federally mandated taxes and fees on award tickets (usually about $10 on my southwest roundtrips, and maybe +$70 on an international ticket).
Welcome to the European way of doing things. You will be taxed through the nose, but we expect that so have learned not to care anymore!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Regarding North American flyers who don't fly BA:

This is a direct result of BA's decision to sell miles to Chase and Chase's decision to offer massive 100k signup bonuses. Prior to that time, many of us didn't have BA accounts and would likely have credited any BA flights to our AA accounts (as AA has no surcharges and AA elite benefits are likely more useful to US-based flyers). Fair enough, although of course you weren't forced to sign up, were you.

It is further a result of BAs use of absurd "fuel surcharges" to gouge customers using their miles, as well as the heinous London "taxes" on premium cabin travel. These are concepts that are mostly unknown in the US where you only pay relatively low federally mandated taxes and fees on award tickets (usually about $10 on my southwest roundtrips, and maybe +$70 on an international ticket). Yes, BA operates on a different Continent, in a completely different competitive and aviation environment. That's the way it is in UK. In the US I drive on the right.

Consumers are not stupid. When they can redeem fewer miles and spend few $$ for award seats on partners they are going to bypass BA. In the same way that UA customers use partners to bypass UA's mediocre premium product. That's fine. You have a choice.

So while you don't care, the massive devaluation is a big deal to us yanks. I am just thankful that I recently zeroed out my BA account. And in December I will cancel my Chase card and let them know exactly why I am doing it. Again, your choice. BAEC is clearly not the right product for you. But please don't blame BA for not delivering a US-style rewards program.

FF programs stopped being a reward to frequent travelers a long time ago, when the airlines realized that they could turn the programmes into a profit center by selling miles. Get over it. That's one way of looking at it. Personally we don't buy miles ... we buy BA air tickets. And spend a lot of money in the USA on our Amex
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BAHumbug

BAH
Not unlike your response in my thread agreeing with another poster that it would take 2.25 million Avios to fly ORD-SYD each way, while not addressing my question at all
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
FF programs stopped being a reward to frequent travelers a long time ago, when the airlines realized that they could turn the programmes into a profit center by selling miles. Get over it.
One of the most accurate statements in this entire thread (aside from Nicci), in my opinion, and one that certainly applies to the BAEC.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those who have been around a few years will recall the last round of changes that affected US members (2004 iirc). At the time we had a minor insurrection, promises it would bring BA to its knees etc. etc. As we all know, this didn't quite work out. Sometimes people can attribute too much significance to an FFP.....just sayin'
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
To be fair it is British Airways and therefore designed around UK and European members firstly.
It has been particularly galling to read how some N American members have been able to redeem on some great routes at considerable less cost than it has been for European and especially UK based members so I doubt that there is going to be much sympathy for you lot if, and it's a big if....the cost of redeeming is raised in miles or cash terms. Let's face it most of the ones that have been doing the moaning are not really BA flyers anyway.
Hi, You make good points However, to be fair also that if BA is going to be UK/Europe centric, they should not have lure US based customer, take millions from US based CC companies to promote their program under false pretenses only to pull the rug out a couple months(Not years) later. The US customers have every right to be upset and I think this is an issue that will not go away.

Last edited by sjaxrules; Sep 2, 2011 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Exactly. This is not a problem of 'preference' but one of competition. I'm sure EC is very happy to have some members is the US, Singapore, or the Emirates, but essentially, BA's EC is competing with LH's M&M and AF's FB. This means that any hope that BA will drop fuel surcharges on award booking is frankly unrealistic. It is already good that they have moved to fixed taxes on European rewards as occasionally, before, the taxes paid for reward prices in Y could be higher than sale fares offered at the same moment on paid tickets!!

There are a number of axes of competition: ability to accrue miles, value and availability of award trips, value and availability of upgrades, ease of achieving the two elite levels, quality of care and service associated with the two elite levels, etc. Right now, it seems that BA has slightly improved points 2 for most members, and poiont 3 for UK travellers and those flying into the UK. If they could strengthen one or two of the other elements they would probably become the most attractive FF programme in Europe at the moment.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: MUCCI
Sorry - I just don't get it.....

BAEC is designed for those of us who use BA both for flying and redeeming. I find it quite good value. I would hate it to go the way of the USA frequent flyer programs. SWU's - thank god BA does not have them in the same way and the regular upgrading where it is not necessary into premium cabins - would discourage me from flying an airline hence why I like BA.

That they are going to discourage you from redeeming on other airlines is no real surprise is it....... Just looks like common business sense.

Glad to see so many of you leaving BAEC - means the rewards seat availability will get better for those of us who stay.....

FD.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: MUCCI
Not seeming harsh I think that you will find BA does not really care that much.

FD.

Originally Posted by sjaxrules
Hi, You make good points However, to be fair also that if BA is going to be UK/Europe centric, they should not have lure US based customer, take millions from US based CC companies to promote their program under false pretenses only to pull the rug out a couple later. The US customers have every right to be upset and I think this is an issue that will not go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.